Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 07:44 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Romney's policies are not in effect. Obama's are though and the job creators understand he is anti-business.
What job creators, specifically? Name some names. So we can investigate your claim.
Os is this just "common knowledge" and we should "do some research."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 07:58 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
What job creators, specifically? Name some names. So we can investigate your claim.
Os is this just "common knowledge" and we should "do some research."
Why, so the far left can excoriate every business owner like they are doing to Chick-Fil-A?

Ya'll are bullies through and through.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:12 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
Here's the key excerpt from the CAP briefing:
The former Massachusetts governor would make U.S. corporations’ overseas profits exempt from U.S. taxes. These profits are already treated favorably under the tax code compared to corporate profits that are earned and reported domestically, creating an inefficient bias toward investment offshore. The favorable treatment of profits that are reported offshore also creates rewards for corporations that shift profits (on paper) out of the United States to foreign countries, including tax havens such as Bermuda and the Cayman Islands.

Read more: Obama To Hammer Romney's Plan To End Taxes On Foreign Profits - Business Insider
This is a really twisted way to note that the Democrats want to preserve the United States as THE ONLY major developed country that taxes domestic corporations on profits earned and taxed overseas. Why should the US get a slice out of German workers at locations in Germany producing for the German market...just because the owner of the location has a US address?

And it explains why vast numbers of companies have domiciled elsewhere, moving their headquarters away from the US. This trend is already accelerating even in medium-sized businesses.

If the Dems retain influence in Washington, I hope they ask the last producer to leave to please turn out the lights...if there are any left burning when the EPA gets done.

For all the posters who have written that corporations all use loopholes to avoid all taxes, have you noticed Obama's penchant for wanting to add new complexities to the ridiculous tax code instead of throwing all the garbage out and going for a level playing field? How much more satisfying it must be to pick winners and losers, pass out favors to friends and punishment to enemies, via the heavy hand of an incomprehensible tax code.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Why, so the far left can excoriate every business owner like they are doing to Chick-Fil-A?

Ya'll are bullies through and through.
Was the part where I defended his relgious rights and praised him for being true to his beliefs - it's not one I believe in, but hey, religious freedom is regious freedom, he can think what he wants, and support who he wants - is that the part that I'm bullying him on?
Look at how I was BULLYING him back in 2009.
08-05-2009, 10:41 PM
If I heard Chik-Fil-A was going under, I'd actually donate to keep them alive. I might even run a campaign to keep them alive. I am not a religious man, but I can admire a person who runs his company with morals and dignity.
-70Ford
Restaurants Burned By Deep Discounts

At least you know he's firm in his beliefs and what he stands for. Romney? Not so much.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:50 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Romney has stated a 25% rate. A link from the AFL-CIO is automatically discredited. Right now, under obama, we have the highest corporate tax rate, which is one reason corporations look overseas to create jobs and invest.
I guess that is true if you believe that companies actually pay that corporate tax rate and don't use any credits or tax loopholes to lower that number they pay. I do agree that the corporate tax should be much lower, but loopholes need to be gotten rid of so that all corporations pay that same rate.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:07 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
New Study Shows Romney

While today’s current corporate tax laws offer tax incentives to firms that move jobs overseas, companies still face some U.S. tax obligations on their foreign profits. But Romney’s proposal would completely exempt all overseas profits by American companies from U.S. taxes. That would, writes Seth Hanlon, CAP’s director of fiscal reform, “exacerbate the worst features of our current tax system.” Romney’s tax-free scheme would:
  • Enhance the tax code’s rewards for moving jobs and investments overseas;
  • Provide a gratuitous windfall to some of the very companies that have already shifted jobs and profits overseas; and
  • Further invite the offshore tax haven abuse that deprives the U.S. Treasury of tens of billions of dollars in revenue every year.
What are we talking about in windfall dollars? According to Hanlon, exempting overseas profits from tax would provide a tax cut for multinational corporations of $130 billion over 10 years. When combined with Romney’s proposal to slash the top corporate rate from 35 percent to 25 percent, which would cost more than $900 billion, it pushes the total corporate tax cuts in the Romney plan to more than $1 trillion.
Repatriating the US corporate funds that remain overseas, due to high US taxes, is a great idea. It would infuse over $1 trillion in capital to the US, which is sorely needed.

The amount of funds that can be repatriated would equal that of Obama's "stimulus", only this time the money would not cost the tax payers a dime and would be in the responsible hands of business, not the government or Obama's hand selected lackies.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:11 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
So what you are saying hawkeye is responsible businesses are just gonna pocket the money and enjoy the profits.

heck, lets tax businesses 0%, I hear the business sector would be booming if that happened.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:10 PM

Eakinomics: Tax Reform & Jobs - YouTube

Explains how the US tax system IS unfair to businesses and how it makes less jobs in America.
However, it doesn't call for a "Zero tax." It calls for lower taxes that will encourage people to buy American products and not move their businesses out of the USA to a foreign country.
So it kind of 1/2 supports Romney's plan. And it's understandable.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:10 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
True on the face.

Now - How much do they actually pay after tax breaks and write offs? How many pay nothing, nada, nought?
Well, we know obama's corporation, GE, made billions and paid nothing in taxes. Now, isn't 25% of billions better than 0% of nothing?

You have to give these multinational corporations a REASON to bring their money and jobs back to the US.

What do you think they're in business for?

Old 08-03-2012, 10:13 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I guess that is true if you believe that companies actually pay that corporate tax rate and don't use any credits or tax loopholes to lower that number they pay. I do agree that the corporate tax should be much lower, but loopholes need to be gotten rid of so that all corporations pay that same rate.
Another issue Romney wants to tackle and another broken promise by obama. Tax code reform.

I don't agree with corporations like GE, Apple, etc getting any kind of taxpayer subsidy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections