Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 07:10 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I don't know about that, I would think the Republican Party would love to back channel fund a party featuring Ralph Nader and Dennis Kucinich, while the Democratic Party would probably be willing to back channel fund a party featuring Ron Paul.

Ross Perot gave it a pretty good run for a few cycles, any idea why his party ultimately failed?
Pat Buchanan and his supporters took over Reform in 2000 and in the process helped kill it. Buchanan's message is pretty alienating to most Americans, particularly the racial and antigay stuff. OTOH his economic views aren't that different from old style Dems and he would prove himself right about Iraq. Buchanan drove Jesse Ventura and the other sensible Reform types out of the party.

Nader's campaign as Reform party candidate was the party's last gasp - a shell of a party running a discredited candidate.

The Libertarians are still around, but their leaders seem to be dying off. The Greens seem to never have recovered from the Nader debacle in 2000. However if both of those parties are able to build strong local or state level organizations they could get some influence. Perot's mistake was not building strong local and state organizations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 08:12 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
If they do, they are toast. If they are responsible for putting Hillary Clinton in the White House, they'll never get their way on any issue that's important to them again, even when people agree with them on those issues.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:15 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If they do, they are toast. If they are responsible for putting Hillary Clinton in the White House, they'll never get their way on any issue that's important to them again, even when people agree with them on those issues.
Especially when you see that it is likely the Democrats will gain some seats in both the House and Senate.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:09 PM

459 posts, read 804,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
I agree with the quote at the end. I am completely disapointed and discouraged by the GOP candidates this year, other than Tom Tancredo. I am a Christian Conservative.

But at the same time, I know that if the Christians create a 3rd party for 2008, then the GOP nominee is TOAST and then we have the risk of "The Evil One" (I mean Hillary Clinton) being elected.

I think that when faced with that risk and all the HORRENDOUS consequences Americans would face with Hillary at the helm, I think a lot of Christian Conservatives will have to choose "the lesser of two evils". And anyone other than Hillary, Obama, or Edwards will be better for the USA.

Ps. I am also hearing a lot of talk that Christian Conservatives will either not vote or vote for a 3rd part candidate just so Hillary will be elected and then the GOP will be forced to produce better candidates (social and fiscal conservatives) and there will be a RAGE against Hillary in the next federal election because of all the damage Hillary would do.

I am not sure if it is worth it to let Hillary win and let her damage the USA a lot so that the GOP and Conservatives can re-take Congress and then give her the boot in 2013. It is a scary trade-off....

HUH? I hate to break it to you but This country is already far beyond damaged and that is in thanks to the current conservative republican George Bush. If another Conservative takes over this country we are beyond screwed. Do you really want a repeat of the last 7 years. Theres a reason Bush has the lowest approval rating of any president in the history of our counrty. Conservative Republicans cannot run this counrty.They are to busy worring about gay marriage and abortion, then in the more important issues like the ECONOMY, FOREIGN POLICY,IMMIGRATION,EDUCATION,HEALTHCARE
HOMELAND SECURITY,and GLOBAL WARMING. I'm sorry but in my opinion I would like to restore this planet back to normal instead of focusing on gay people and unformed cells.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:11 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
[quote=Harley_man;2847824]. Conservative Republicans cannot run this counrty.They are to busy worring about gay marriage and abortion, QUOTE]I believe these are the red meat issues for the left, at least they are the ones who keep bringing it up! We havent had any Conservative leadership since 1994, and it was pretty succesfull then (Contract with America)! Important issues like "Global Warming"??

Old 02-17-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Buchanan drove Jesse Ventura and the other sensible Reform types out of the party.

That "Sensible" jessethebodyventura", damn that Pat Buchanan, we might have had the first president with a feather boa, by now! The reform party was a circus and Buchanan lost all credibility when he went and joined the rest of the clowns in it!

Old 02-17-2008, 05:38 PM

459 posts, read 804,896 times
[quote=silas777;2854367]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_man View Post
. Conservative Republicans cannot run this counrty.They are to busy worring about gay marriage and abortion, QUOTE]I believe these are the red meat issues for the left, at least they are the ones who keep bringing it up! We havent had any Conservative leadership since 1994, and it was pretty succesfull then (Contract with America)! Important issues like "Global Warming"??

The reason people keep bringing it up is because they are true. The current president has the lowest rating of any president in the history of our country. doesn't that mean anything to you. I'm an independent so i'm not just spewing left wing garbage. the reality is this country has evolved and conservative agendas are just not whats important right now. The economy is a far bigger issue then gay marriage or abortion right now.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:08 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
The conservatives are being kicked aside by the Republicans. Nobody wants them anymore. They will fall in line with McCain because they have nowhere else to go but in the end they will get none of their stupid radical agenda. Abortion on demand is the law now and will be the law 4 years and 8 years from now no matter who is elected. The Republicans will throw the religious nuts a bone or two such as requiring consent for minor to get an abortion but they are not going to mess with the fundamental rights of women.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:37 PM

Funny you guys kev & harley keep talking about conservatives and abortion and Bush's low ratings, you all are tad bit confused or ignorant or just disengenuis. Now listen up, and I will help you get it straight! #1 Bush 43 & 41 for that matter are not movement conservatives, they are Republicans first and foremost with some conservative leanings. #2 When real conservatism is put forward it wins, Conservatives have pulled the Democrat party much further to the right, in the last 20 years, when you look back at their positions on all the issues, the whole debate has shifted far to the right. The most recent example is Pelosi and emanual running conservative democrats in the last election to win back congress. Conservatism is alive and well, sure there are still the lunatics on the left that think the biggest issues of the day are global warming and homosexuals marrying each other and screaming abortion every ten minutes to keep the feminists in a frenzy and unfortunately there are the spineless eunichs in the republican party who want to be liked, by the libs in congress and the press at the expense of their conservative base who put them there, but the pendulum swings and because of a huge wasted opportunity when in control of congress and the white house, it may take another lib to slap us back to reality!

Old 02-17-2008, 07:42 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Funny you guys kev & harley keep talking about conservatives and abortion and Bush's low ratings, you all are tad bit confused or ignorant or just disengenuis. Now listen up, and I will help you get it straight! #1 Bush 43 & 41 for that matter are not movement conservatives, they are Republicans first and foremost with some conservative leanings. #2 When real conservatism is put forward it wins, Conservatives have pulled the Democrat party much further to the right, in the last 20 years, when you look back at their positions on all the issues, the whole debate has shifted far to the right. The most recent example is Pelosi and emanual running conservative democrats in the last election to win back congress. Conservatism is alive and well, sure there are still the lunatics on the left that think the biggest issues of the day are global warming and homosexuals marrying each other and screaming abortion every ten minutes to keep the feminists in a frenzy and unfortunately there are the spineless eunichs in the republican party who want to be liked, by the libs in congress and the press at the expense of their conservative base who put them there, but the pendulum swings and because of a huge wasted opportunity when in control of congress and the white house, it may take another lib to slap us back to reality!
Well stated.

And as long as someone brought up polls, let us not forget that Congress's ratings are lower than the President's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections