Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 01:49 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times

Advertisements

I heard this theory advanced by a caller on Limbaugh this morning. The caller alleged that Akin had been 'bought off.' Honestly, I doubt it at this point, but imagine the fireworks if it turned out to be true. It would make a nice October surpise to be able to untie the bow on that package!

According to Gateway Pundit, a conservative blog based in StL, MO (area where Akin is from), Dems wanted Akin in this race and spent $1.5 million to help him.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012...ed-in-primary/

And his Dem opponent Claire McCaskill is now supporting Akin by denouncing calls from Republicans that he drop out of the race. As for Akin, if he is really a conservative, he would realize how the MSM works, and that he would be a lame duck and laughingstock from day one even if he won the race. Thus he would drop out of the race and let someone else have a chance at it. But for some reason, he has not so far done that.

Looking at his wiki page, Akin has a degree in management engineering and also a divinity degree. He worked as an engineer at IBM, and also as a manager at a St. Louis area steel company. I don't know how he could be dumb enough to say what he did.

There a few dots to connect, but no proof so far. I'm sure there are bloggers out there furiously looking into Akin's background.

Last edited by wutitiz; 08-22-2012 at 02:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 01:53 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,879,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I heard this theory advanced by a caller on Limbaugh this morning. The caller alleged that Akin had been 'bought off.' Honestly, I doubt it at this point, but imagine the fireworks if it turned out to be true. It would make a nice October surpise to be able to untie the bow on that package!

According to Gateway Pundit, a conservative blog based in StL, MO (area where Akin is from), Dems wanted Akin in this race and spent $1.5 million to help him.

And his Dem opponent Claire McCaskill is now supporting Akin by denouncing calls from Republicans that he drop out of the race. As for Akin, if he is really a conservative, he would realize how the MSM works, and that he would be a lame duck and laughingstock from day one even if he won the race. Thus he would drop out of the race and let someone else have a chance at it. But for some reason, he has not so far done that.

Looking at his wiki page, Akin has a degree in management engineering and also a divinity degree. He worked as an engineer at IBM, and also as a manager at a St. Louis area steel company. I don't know how he could be dumb enough to say what he did.

There a few dots to connect, but no proof so far. I'm sure there are bloggers out there furiously looking into Akin's background.
Oh, man, too, too funny. Now you're going to try to say he was never a Republican to begin with? Really?? LOLOLOLOLOL!! And yes, McCaskill supported this FOOL TEA PARTY REPUBLICAN because she knew once he opened his mouth on the national stage it was going to be a whole lot easier for her to hold her seat. That's called politics, my friend.

Sorry, this idiot is all yours.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:58 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,121,570 times
Quote:

No... only a Republican could be that dumb.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:01 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
No, if Akin had a price, I am sure the Kochs and Adelson would have already topped it and it would have been accepted. Akin has principles (even if they are dumb). Akin is the opening salvo in the coming civil war among Republicans. The right wing will be fighting the eastern establishment for control. Things are going to bust wide open after Obama's reelection.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:07 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Quote:

Is Akin a plant for the DNC? No. Silliness abounds.

You have to understand that Missouri has open primaries. Therefore, anyone can vote in any party's primary. It is not unusually to have one side vote for the opposite party's weakest candidate or spend their money trying to put who they perceive to be the weaker candidate forward.

The real problem is the soundbite to knee jerk reaction people have in this age of information overload. For instance, how many people have listened to the entire interview on the Jaco Report (St. Louis television) where the Akin soundbite was captured vs. those pouncing on the soundbite alone?

Old 08-22-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
No... only a Republican could be that dumb.
You must have missed my post about Sen. Patty Murray, who said that Osama Bin Laden had gained popularity in Afghanistan by building 'day care facilities.' People tried, but never found any evidence that he had built any day care places. Why would day care be needed when women can't even leave the home unless accompanied by a male relative, and with hubby's permision?

Old 08-22-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Is Akin a plant for the DNC? No. Silliness abounds.

You have to understand that Missouri has open primaries. Therefore, anyone can vote in any party's primary. It is not unusually to have one side vote for the opposite party's weakest candidate or spend their money trying to put who they perceive to be the weaker candidate forward.

The real problem is the soundbite to knee jerk reaction people have in this age of information overload. For instance, how many people have listened to the entire interview on the Jaco Report (St. Louis television) where the Akin soundbite was captured vs. those pouncing on the soundbite alone?
It's been years since I read the Bible but I seemed to remember that there was at least one case in the Bible of a woman being raped and then getting pregnant. I asked a friend of mine who is a student of the Bible, and his reply was, Oh, sure, that is in the Bible.

Consider that this Akin is supposedly a Christian conservative and has a divinity degree--shouldn't he have been familiar with that?

Old 08-22-2012, 02:29 PM

9,143 posts, read 5,808,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Oh, man, too, too funny. Now you're going to try to say he was never a Republican to begin with? Really?? LOLOLOLOLOL!! And yes, McCaskill supported this FOOL TEA PARTY REPUBLICAN because she knew once he opened his mouth on the national stage it was going to be a whole lot easier for her to hold her seat. That's called politics, my friend.

Sorry, this idiot is all yours.

Who told you he was Tea Party?

Old 08-22-2012, 02:48 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
No, if Akin had a price, I am sure the Kochs and Adelson would have already topped it and it would have been accepted. Akin has principles (even if they are dumb). Akin is the opening salvo in the coming civil war among Republicans. The right wing will be fighting the eastern establishment for control. Things are going to bust wide open after Obama's reelection.
I would take that one to the bank.
In 2008, I thought that the divisions in the Republican party would heal by now, but they have only drown deeper, more divisive, and angrier. As the public anxiety over the economy keeps on growing, no matter who is elected won't matter as much as how Congress responds to the pressure of doing something active about the economic issues.

According to this recent poll, where no candidates were included, 94% of the respondents thought Congress was impeding economic plans, and 84% want the Congressional deadlock to end, and support legislative reform that would end these deadlocks.

Public Blames Congress, Not Obama, For Sour Economy - Washington Whispers (usnews.com)

These feelings do not bode well for either party, but in the past, the mid-term elections are when all the bums are thrown out, whatever the majority is at the time. If a veto-proof majority arises in this election, I don't expect it will last after 2014.

With Mitt as unpopular as he is within his party, a continuing deadlock such has happened in the House for the past 2 years will cripple him if he's elected.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:48 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,462,476 times
Quote:

And apparently Akin has been a Republican and a state rep. for his district since 2001, which means for a lo-o-ong time now, he's been a Democratic mole, just laying in wait for Ryan to run (very crafty those Democrats...LOL)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections