Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 06:05 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,749,490 times

Advertisements

The whole republican campaign is based on lies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 06:07 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Look, there were people there crying when the Foo Fighters were singing about "their hero". I have never seen such a group of emotionally unhinged people all in one place in my life. The only jobs this administration "saved" were union jobs. None were created.

There's another number that keeps bothering me. The Dems keep crying about how we were losing 750-800,000 a month when Obozo took office. Every week I hear reports of new unemployment claims in the 350,000 range. Math may not be my strong point, but wouldn't that mean that we are currently bleeding 1.5 million jobs a month?
Well, the way things are reported, it is very hard to get a grip on what the actual unemployment is.

Folks got jobs along the way (but the bulk have been low paying jobs) . . . then you get folks who no longer are eligible to file - so they are out of work but not counted in the numbers b/c they aren't filing . . . on top of that, you have people who accepted part time work, as that was better than nothing - so they are no longer counted in the numbers.

In addition - thousands of college graduates have never gotten a job - so they have never been counted on ANY registry as being out of work.

Obama's administration changed how employment numbers are reported - I think in 2009. Just an interesting factoid.

In my city, we have all of the above (Charlotte, NC). The actual number of out of work folks is estimated to be around 17-22%, depending on what area you are living in.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:37 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
Someone who is not starstruck, nor stuck in rigid, kneejerk reverence and support, but more importantly, actually listened. What is the world coming to.

I'm sure there is some clever, obfuscating, obscuring way for your progressicrats to counter thie fallacy our our Dear Leader, err President's logic. Right?

Good job hogstooth!

Quote:
hogstooth,

Thanks for posting this. I fell asleep before Barry hit the spotlight. I think I fell asleep during Common Joe's gig, somewhere after the point when he couldn't remember what night Moochelle spoke.

Anyway, this is a prime example of the budgetary phantasy land Democrats live in. For days, all we have heard is the whining from the Left about "the unfunded two wars". Ok. Let's consider that for a moment. According to the Dems, a large portion of the $16+T debt is for money borrowed for the two wars.

DOH!

(reference in speech to spending war 'savings' on infrastructure...EF) How? By borrowing more money? This is like taking out a car loan to buy a car and then taking a home equity loan to pay the interest on the car loan! The car loan isn't paid off, not even close!

Old 09-07-2012, 06:41 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
Dead on anifani. The U6 number is the real number, not only in local communities, but nationwide. This is why the service sector job growth is strong. Service sector consists of low and lower wage jobs, so many, formally well paid folks, are now underemployed; if they have not given up. Read given up as gone on disability, moved home to the basement, prematurely 'retired'. It is not a pretty picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, the way things are reported, it is very hard to get a grip on what the actual unemployment is.

Folks got jobs along the way (but the bulk have been low paying jobs) . . . then you get folks who no longer are eligible to file - so they are out of work but not counted in the numbers b/c they aren't filing . . . on top of that, you have people who accepted part time work, as that was better than nothing - so they are no longer counted in the numbers.

In addition - thousands of college graduates have never gotten a job - so they have never been counted on ANY registry as being out of work.

Obama's administration changed how employment numbers are reported - I think in 2009. Just an interesting factoid.

In my city, we have all of the above (Charlotte, NC). The actual number of out of work folks is estimated to be around 17-22%, depending on what area you are living in.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:44 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,590,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Dead on anifani. The U6 number is the real number, not only in local communities, but nationwide. This is why the service sector job growth is strong. Service sector consists of low and lower wage jobs, so many, formally well paid folks, are now underemployed; if they have not given up. Read given up as gone on disability, moved home to the basement, prematurely 'retired'. It is not a pretty picture.
And the latest August report shows the U6 numBer at 14.7%! which shows this is the weakest recovery since WWII.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:48 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Hi anifani821!

No doubt, the Obama admin played with the calculation of the unemployment rate. But my question goes directly to the reporting of new unemployment claims, not the people who stopped looking or whose benefits have expired. Unless I'm missing something, new claims would be people who just lost their job the week before. So when they tell us on the news, "There were 354,000 new unemployment claims 'this week' ........", are they really reporting for the entire month? Or just that week?

Old 09-07-2012, 07:15 AM

2,962 posts, read 5,000,742 times
Quote:
hogstooth,

Thanks for posting this. I fell asleep before Barry hit the spotlight. I think I fell asleep during Common Joe's gig, somewhere after the point when he couldn't remember what night Moochelle spoke.

Anyway, this is a prime example of the budgetary phantasy land Democrats live in. For days, all we have heard is the whining from the Left about "the unfunded two wars". Ok. Let's consider that for a moment. According to the Dems, a large portion of the $16+T debt is for money borrowed for the two wars.

DOH!

How? By borrowing more money? This is like taking out a car loan to buy a car and then taking a home equity loan to pay the interest on the car loan! The car loan isn't paid off, not even close!
It works pretty much the same way as starting 2 wars and cutting taxes at the same time....... Or trying trickle down yet again. In it's first incarnation, it was called horse and sparrow in the 1890's.... Both parties have tried it, yet only one finally realized it's folly.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:39 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Plus he basically took credit for at least two things that were actually implemented by Bush -- No child left behind and the end of the Iraq war. Wow!

Old 09-07-2012, 07:47 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
It works pretty much the same way as starting 2 wars and cutting taxes at the same time....... Or trying trickle down yet again. In it's first incarnation, it was called horse and sparrow in the 1890's.... Both parties have tried it, yet only one finally realized it's folly.
Bogus. When taxes are cut FOR ALL, small businesses have more operating capital to hire more people. More people working means more money paid in taxes, BY ALL. This is why we need a flat rate income tax. You can't count borrowed money as "savings" to be spent in the future on something else. And let me remind you, that taxes owed are NEVER money LOST to the government. The money EARNED by workers is theirs. If people aren't earning money, there is nothing for the government to tax. Punishing the wealthy by trying grab more of theirs will never offset the middle class that has been destroyed.

How does a middle class that has been decimated by this administration, one out of 6 Americans now living in poverty, "grow from the middle"? It can't. It won't.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:21 AM

1,196 posts, read 839,204 times
The democrat leeches don't care about the empty chairs' lies; as long as the empty chair obama keeps the government cheese flowing to the democrat leeches sucking the blood of taxpayers it all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections