Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 07:53 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Just a question for the liberals - why were you so excited about (and touting) the massive war chest you thought Obama would have, but now that it's obvious that the Obama campaign will have no massive war chest and now that the Obama campaign has blown through so much of its money early on smearing Romney, Romney having more money to spend is unacceptable?
Because that's how they are. There are a bazillion examples.

With OBots, it's 'evolving'. With everyone else, it's flip flopping, lying, and punishable by death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You are making a straw man argument.

The problem is that 18 billionaires are funding the Romney campaign. The Koch bros alone will spend as much as John McCain spent in his entire campaign. One must ask the question, if Romney wins, what will they expect in return?
You, unfortunately, have no clue. You're making stuff up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 07:58 AM

684 posts, read 825,194 times
Quote:
When anyone, regardless of side, can overwhelm the message with hundreds of millions of dollars, the loser is democracy.

True, but it shouldn't be that way. Frankly, I turn off my listening when I hear people talk about things like Obama's transcripts or Romney's taxes. What I want are specifics - Specifics which are sorely lacking on both sides. Aside from universal health care(Which I'm in favor of, though I feel there needs to be a massive overhall of current health legislation as well as farming out the specifics to States in order to make this work), the President and Romney are both lacking in specifics.

I understand why: Specifics will be attacked while vague platitudes cannot possibly be attacked because they're vague notions that most don't disagree with.

This election has basically been one long smear campaign which leads in to the occasional, "I like good things and, this is where I differ from my opponent, I dislike bad thing. God Bless America." It's exhaustingly absurd, but the reason it's happening like this is that these tactics work.

That isn't the fault of the rich, or the Super-PACs: In order for any democratic process to work, you need a passionate and informed electorate that is willing to listen to all the facts. Only one of those things is true of the public.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:10 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Just a question for the liberals - why were you so excited about (and touting) the massive war chest you thought Obama would have, but now that it's obvious that the Obama campaign will have no massive war chest and now that the Obama campaign has blown through so much of its money early on smearing Romney, Romney having more money to spend is unacceptable?
Sometimes you just have to turn off the news or watch the BBC. The American media except for Fox is in the clutches of the Left. The BBC tilts left too but they do a better job masking it.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
What goes around, comes around.

No problem with Obama having a huge coffer in 2008. But now the other guy has it and the Dems are all outraged.
Sorry..you can't accept it for your side but reject it for the other.

You can't play "party" over "principle" and not come off as hypocrite.
If you play "party" then you have to grit your teeth and shut your mouth when the other side plays your game.

Me..I'm against these huge amounts of money. Both sides should be given a set amount, no more and let them do what they need to with the same amt of money. Between the two campaigns right now this country has wasted probably over $1 billion in nothing more than "smear ads" trying to blame the other side for all our troubles.

All those rich people on both sides don't want higher taxes but have no problem throwing tens of thousands away on private dinners.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:05 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,453 times
Quote:
When anyone, regardless of side, can overwhelm the message with hundreds of millions of dollars, the loser is democracy.
Where was your "outrage" when the Obama campaign raised double the amount of McCain?

Obama bought "infomercials" on television to spread his propaganda, and outspent McCain 2 to 1.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:07 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What goes around, comes around.

No problem with Obama having a huge coffer in 2008. But now the other guy has it and the Dems are all outraged.
Sorry..you can't accept it for your side but reject it for the other.

You can't play "party" over "principle" and not come off as hypocrite.
If you play "party" then you have to grit your teeth and shut your mouth when the other side plays your game.

Me..I'm against these huge amounts of money. Both sides should be given a set amount, no more and let them do what they need to with the same amt of money. Between the two campaigns right now this country has wasted probably over $1 billion in nothing more than "smear ads" trying to blame the other side for all our troubles.

All those rich people on both sides don't want higher taxes but have no problem throwing tens of thousands away on private dinners.
Doubtful you'll get an answer. It's much easier to spread misinformation than it is to defend Obama.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:36 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Would that include George Soros,....or just conservatives giving money to Super PACs?

Noticed you failed to mention Priorities USA and the $10 million it collected in August.
What part ofit doesn't matter what their ideology is in my post did you not see?? The Super PAC stuff post citizens United is simply bad for politics and the country plain and simple, no matter what side it helps.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:40 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You Dems didn't have a problem in 2008 when Obama was rich with campaign money...$740 million worth while McCain spent $227 million.

You guys didn't have a problem then and didn't care where Obama got his money.
That was prior to the Citizens United Ruling. You didn't have billionaires spending millions to even hundreds of millions to influence the election.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:56 AM
J24

448 posts, read 863,729 times
It's actually pretty hilarious all of the hypocrisy coming from the left. With the money issue alone, I've heard Obama bash Romney on multiple occasions talking about the "million dollar checks" that he's writing in the campaign. It's funny though, because before this summer, Obama's campaign was raising more money than Romney was, and he is also spending millions of dollars in his own campaign. I'm pretty sure that Obama attended a fundraiser at George Clooney's home where they sold tickets I'm sure for an unreal amount. Yet we don't hear anything about that, only about how much money Romney has and is using.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:09 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Are people really this brain dead? It's common sense, if you are being outspent you rally your base saying you are being outspent in order to get your base to boost donations. Republicans did this when Obama was ahead in donations and now Obama is doing this since Romney is/was ahead in donations. People can be so stupid who play hypocrisy or act shocked by this. It's politics as normal since history of mankind. If you were running for office, you'd do the same thing because it's logical. You'd be stupid not to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections