Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 07:01 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,792 times

Advertisements

And I was around during the Vietnam war so I am not about to criticize anyone for trying to save his hide and not participate in what many at the time saw as an immoral war.

But the hypocrisy of Mitt is getting to me on this.

By now everyone knows that Mitt didn't serve. Also none of his five sons have any kind of military service. He is out there proclaiming that he is ready to send our troops to Syria.

Let's look a little closer at his military deferments.

He got a student deferment for the time he was at Stanford. But when he was finished? "A minister of religion or divinity student" deferment. That was so he could go to France for a couple of years and proselytize for Mormons. Did all Mormon missionaries get a military deferment? Noooo, you had to be *special.*
Questions For Mitt Romney About Military Service And Dodging The Draft | Addicting Info

Willard has identified military service as the only path open to kids of illegal aliens to obtain US citizenship. Not enough to be smart (student) or divine (religious), nope you gotta be willing to risk life and limb for the US in a way that neither Willard nor any of his babies has done. And who knows what this sabre rattling foreign policy disaster would come up with as POTUS to make sure his buddies in the defense industry keep that gravy train coming.

Care to see how someone IN the military views this pampered son of a self-made man?

Quote:
For Mitt, military service likely is just another gimmick, a way of leeching off the government that offers a soldier three slops and a flop. The privatization of the veterans hospital system and its replacement by vouchers, an idea that flopped when proposed by the George W. Bush, likely would be pushed by Romney to reduce veterans' dependency on the federal government.
A 47 Percenter Meditates on Mitt Romney's Lack of Military Service - Manchester Elections 2012 | Examiner.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 07:07 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,945 times
You got it right.

Mitt Romney's lack of service isn't a problem -- his lack of service combined with the fact that he supported forcing others, under penalty of law, to serve... that is a problem.

Anyone who supports a draft during wartime had better be down at a recruiters office pulling every strong they can think of to get into the armed forces. It is unconscionable for a person to support forcible conscription when they themselves are unwilling to do what they demand others to be forced to do.

But, of course, Mitt just ripped a page from the Dick "I had other priorities" Cheney playbook.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:23 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,535,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
And I was around during the Vietnam war so I am not about to criticize anyone for trying to save his hide and not participate in what many at the time saw as an immoral war.

But the hypocrisy of Mitt is getting to me on this.

By now everyone knows that Mitt didn't serve. Also none of his five sons have any kind of military service. He is out there proclaiming that he is ready to send our troops to Syria.

Let's look a little closer at his military deferments.

He got a student deferment for the time he was at Stanford. But when he was finished? "A minister of religion or divinity student" deferment. That was so he could go to France for a couple of years and proselytize for Mormons. Did all Mormon missionaries get a military deferment? Noooo, you had to be *special.*
Questions For Mitt Romney About Military Service And Dodging The Draft | Addicting Info

Willard has identified military service as the only path open to kids of illegal aliens to obtain US citizenship. Not enough to be smart (student) or divine (religious), nope you gotta be willing to risk life and limb for the US in a way that neither Willard nor any of his babies has done. And who knows what this sabre rattling foreign policy disaster would come up with as POTUS to make sure his buddies in the defense industry keep that gravy train coming.

Care to see how someone IN the military views this pampered son of a self-made man?

A 47 Percenter Meditates on Mitt Romney's Lack of Military Service - Manchester Elections 2012 | Examiner.com

There's a word for those who avoid military service during a time of war and then turn out to be saber-rattling warmongers once they're too old to serve: CHICKENHAWK.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:27 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,336,961 times
Obama never served and hates that our military makes us a super power. His goal is to cut our military to the bone. He puts our military in a war in Afghanistan and then tells the enemy the date we are leaving. The people we are training then are afraid they will be in danger when we leave so they desert us and start killing our side. Do you still want to talk about the military?

Old 09-21-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Obama never served
You're right. He didn't. But, there was no draft to dodge and no war to fight when he came of age, as there was for Mitt Romney, George Bush, Dick Cheney, Tom Delay et. al.

Quote:
and hates that our military makes us a super power.
Prove it.

Quote:
His goal is to cut our military to the bone.
Prove it.

Quote:
He puts our military in a war in Afghanistan
No, he didn't "put our military in a war in Afghanistan." George Bush did that.

Quote:
and then tells the enemy the date we are leaving.
I'll agree with this one. On the other hand, it didn't come as a surprise to them or anyone else.

Quote:
The people we are training then are afraid they will be in danger when we leave so they desert us and start killing our side.
I'd like to see some evidence to back that up. The reasons some of them kill our troops include many things, but I doubt that's a major one. Show me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Do you still want to talk about the military?
Damn right. Do you?

Old 09-21-2012, 07:38 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,911 times
Quote:
Obama never served and hates that our military makes us a super power. His goal is to cut our military to the bone. He puts our military in a war in Afghanistan and then tells the enemy the date we are leaving. The people we are training then are afraid they will be in danger when we leave so they desert us and start killing our side. Do you still want to talk about the military?
What an idiot - do the ARITHMETIC!! No draft - no war during his prime!!

Old 09-21-2012, 07:42 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
There's a word for those who avoid military service during a time of war and then turn out to be saber-rattling warmongers once they're too old to serve: CHICKENHAWK.
^^^^^ I've found myself using this term alot this political season!!

Old 09-21-2012, 07:49 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
Quote:
Silly little person, please enlighten all of us as to the age of Obama during the Vietnam War? All that he is cutting is the defense contractors like KBR, haliburton and the rest who have made folks like bush,cheney and the like multi-multi millionaires.
IRAQ FOR SALE: The War Profiteers

mitt on the other hand is more than willing to continue using our military to do the bidding of large corperations.

John Perkins "Confessions of an Economic Hitman"Extended Interview ...

Old 09-21-2012, 07:51 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
That's not true. All Mormon missionaries did not get a military deferment, because there was a quota. It was on a first come, first served basis (basically determined by the missionary's date of birth and hence, his elibility to be called on a mission). If you turned 19 before someone else and got your paperwork completed first, you got called on a mission. Otherwise, you risked missing the quota. It never has had anything to do with being "special," much as you would like to think otherwise.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That's not true. All Mormon missionaries did not get a military deferment, because there was a quota. It was on a first come, first served basis (basically determined by the missionary's date of birth and hence, his elibility to be called on a mission). If you turned 19 before someone else and got your paperwork completed first, you got called on a mission. Otherwise, you risked missing the quota. It never has had anything to do with being "special," much as you would like to think otherwise.

In reality, did it work sorta like getting into the National Guard or Reserves back then? There was a quota and a waiting list there too, but influence could move a guy to the head of the line. Just ask George Bush about how that worked. Or, the guy I served with in the Reserve's after I came back from Vietnam whose Mama was on the local draft board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections