Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 08:39 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times

Advertisements

the idiot should be fired - but with tenure, that will be very hard to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 08:48 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
She violated her contract, the Board has "just cause", and the idiot will be fired. http://www.cfnews13.com/content/dam/...sults-0215.pdf

Old 02-19-2013, 08:51 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,090 times
When this was first exposed in the news, I contacted Brevard Community College and they assured me that they do not allow this type of behavior and that they would get to the bottom of this. It appears they are doing the right thing.

Later on tonight, IF I remember, I will post a cut & paste of their response to my query.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:55 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
the idiot should be fired - but with tenure, that will be very hard to do.
Being tenured does not mean you can't be fired- just that you can't be fired without due process.

Looks like this prof is getting "due process". The board has reviewed her case and recommended termination. Now, it's up to her boss.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:10 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
How can someone force another to vote one way or another?
You can't.
The polls are private.

Sheesh.

Didn't like the other two threads on this topic (from 5 months ago)?

College Professor on leave after having students sign pledge to vote for Obama
http://www.city-data.com/forum/elect...ts-pledge.html

Old 02-19-2013, 09:22 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
How can someone force another to vote one way or another?
You can't.
The polls are private.

Sheesh.

Didn't like the other two threads on this topic (from 5 months ago)?

College Professor on leave after having students sign pledge to vote for Obama
http://www.city-data.com/forum/elect...ts-pledge.html
Deflection fail (as usual)

Old 02-19-2013, 09:22 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It reads that they have recommended the firing of this teacher. She is tenured so we will see. All the same it appears that the college has at least come to the correct conclusion here and should get credit for that.
The brazenness of this teacher is astounding. I've heard conservative teachers and professors talk about how inhospitable it is in academia if you are anything but a full blown liberal. They hide their true ideology from the staff because they have seen how they destroy anyone who dares to veer from toeing the liberal line.

So if this teacher is that brazen, then the stories from these conservative teachers and professors seem to be all the more valid.

Being liberal is the norm, but being stupid enough to document your partisanship is inexcusable, and really dumb. no wonder this board of trustees is having to act, this foll of a teacher was dumb enough to let the cat out of bag.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:32 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Deflection fail (as usual)
Is it deflection?

You can't force anyone to vote a certain way, when how you vote is private and secret. So the headline used by the Daily Caller is false. The title of your thread is also false. That seems to me to be on-topic.

But the teacher in this case should be fired. She broke the rules which forbid her from promoting her political agenda in the classroom. She's there to teach algebra. Not to campaign politically. I'm even offended that she's been able to collect her salary while on suspension.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:45 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Is it deflection?

You can't force anyone to vote a certain way, when how you vote is private and secret. So the headline used by the Daily Caller is false. The title of your thread is also false. That seems to me to be on-topic.
Unfortunately we see this happen all the time. I does muddy what is otherwise a valid argument. We see people do it here all the time also.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:00 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
College fires professor who forced students to sign pledge to vote for Obama

http://www.campusreform.org/blog/?ID=4711
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections