Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 09:21 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
The rah rah stuff doesn't go over now like it did 10 years ago. Reality set in a while ago.

Yeah. Incoming has a way of drowning out the high sounding rhetoric, doesn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 09:42 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
In reality, did it work sorta like getting into the National Guard or Reserves back then? There was a quota and a waiting list there too, but influence could move a guy to the head of the line. Just ask George Bush about how that worked. Or, the guy I served with in the Reserve's after I came back from Vietnam whose Mama was on the local draft board.
Either point of view is conjecture and nothing more. Within any LDS ward (i.e. congregation), only a certain number of young men were permitted to be serving missions at any given time. It's literally impossible for anybody to say at this point what the situation was in Mitt's ward. Maybe every nineteen-year-old boy in the ward was able to go on a mission because there weren't a whole lot of them at that time. Maybe some didn't get to go. Personally, knowing how it works in real life, I'd say that Mitt lucked out and got to serve a mission. And no matter what I say, people are going to believe otherwise.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:59 PM

580 posts, read 449,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Willard has identified military service as the only path open to kids of illegal aliens to obtain US citizenship. Not enough to be smart (student) or divine (religious), nope you gotta be willing to risk life and limb for the US in a way that neither Willard nor any of his babies has done...
Excellent point.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:59 PM

387 posts, read 1,045,882 times
I think you are being naive if you believe Romney got out of serving via sheer luck. His family had money, his father was the governor. It's called power and with that power comes a lot of string pulling.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:01 PM

580 posts, read 449,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
You're right. He didn't. But, there was no draft to dodge and no war to fight when he came of age, as there was for Mitt Romney, George Bush, Dick Cheney, Tom Delay et. al.

Prove it.

Prove it.

No, he didn't "put our military in a war in Afghanistan." George Bush did that.

I'll agree with this one. On the other hand, it didn't come as a surprise to them or anyone else.

I'd like to see some evidence to back that up. The reasons some of them kill our troops include many things, but I doubt that's a major one. Show me if I'm wrong.

Damn right. Do you?
spread the reps around, blah blah blah...but excellent rebutal.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:30 PM

96 posts, read 86,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Actually, you might be surprised. I'm a veteran and my wife still serves so we interact with a lot of military folks.

There are a lot who support Romney, sure. There are also a lot who support Obama. There is a large number who were supporting Ron Paul during the primaries.

You have to remember, the military, like the electorate in general, is getting younger. The face of those who serve is no longer the grizzly old Chief or Sergeant Major chewing on a cigar. Also, a lot of people join at 18 and only plan to serve four years, getting out after one enlistment. They are not concerned with who is the most military-minded candidate.

Marines, soldiers, sailors, and airmen are also getting tired of war. It is taking a huge toll on them. The rah rah stuff doesn't go over now like it did 10 years ago. Reality set in a while ago.
I still interact with a lot of service members too. The military as a whole is a conservative culture, not a liberal one. Most liberals are against what they do. I agree that the majority of them do support Ron Paul, most of the servicemen I've met cant stand Obama, and they couldn't stand Clinton. Yes, the military population, as well as the country is tired of war, but are ready to go if needed.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:48 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCastellano80 View Post
I still interact with a lot of service members too. The military as a whole is a conservative culture, not a liberal one. Most liberals are against what they do. I agree that the majority of them do support Ron Paul, most of the servicemen I've met cant stand Obama, and they couldn't stand Clinton. Yes, the military population, as well as the country is tired of war, but are ready to go if needed.
Well I'm retired Navy, live in San Diego and have been volunteering with a grassroots organization. We get a ton of military spouses who help out in the phone banks, calling the Battleground States, for Obama. Their Military Spouses wisely stay away, as I did when active, but make it quite clear through the dependent spouse they are in support of the President.
And OBTW, when I say a ton, we are averaging 50 folks just at our small site each week and at least 20 are military dependents. There are dozens of such groups throughout San Diego, all doing quite well with Volunteers. I'm told the rest of California is doing the same.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:13 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
[quote=stillkit;26197434]
Quote:
You're right. He didn't. But, there was no draft to dodge and no war to fight when he came of age, as there was for Mitt Romney, George Bush, Dick Cheney, Tom Delay et. al.
What planet do you live on? There has been continual conflict since the end of Viet Nam where military service was needed. Romney did not serve. Fine. His sons did not serve, but there was no draft affecting them, just like Obama. So is your excuse only good for those you worship, or for all?

Quote:
Prove it.
Disprove it.

Quote:
Prove it.
Disprove it.

Quote:
No, he didn't "put our military in a war in Afghanistan." George Bush did that.
Oh, that's right! He only increased the military presence and ordered increased conflict. That, of course, is much better (at least if you worship this fool).

Old 09-22-2012, 08:22 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Obama never served and hates that our military makes us a super power. His goal is to cut our military to the bone. He puts our military in a war in Afghanistan and then tells the enemy the date we are leaving. The people we are training then are afraid they will be in danger when we leave so they desert us and start killing our side. Do you still want to talk about the military?
Yeah, because shooting a rifle at other soldiers with rifles is a much better way of not being scared or getting killed. Your logic is amazing. It's like being sort of scared of cutting myself with a knife, so I pick up knives and run at other people holding knives while shouting "Alla Akbar." I also drool spittle and have a crazed look in my eyes.

PS. They are called "traitors" or "moles" and they "kill us" because they "hate us" and want us to "Stop breathing."

See also; Vietnam. Same thing happened there. I read a story a long time ago. A soldier said they put vietnamese in their patrols to be partners with the US. Once they got out of camp and in the jungle, they would shoot the Vietnamese partners in the back of the head. When they got back, they'd say "Snipers got 'em." Reason why? Because they couldn't be trusted, that's why.

Romney wants 100,000 more soldiers for "Some reason" and wants to "build up the military" (We have the best equipped military in the WORLD) so America can be even "more awesome." Romney is going to be preparing us for something. He just doesn't say.... what.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:58 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
A new article came out written by a vet who has analyzed not only Romney's and Ryan's records, but also which party has the interests of vets at heart. Not surprisingly, you are better off voting Democrat than Republican if you are for vet's rights. The Dems do more than just wave a flag and wear little lapel flags.

There is also a nice description of the Divine Romney toughing it out doing his Mormon "mission" in France during the Viet Nam war.

Quote:
And, by the way, Romney has also lied about how tough he had it during his mission in France. At various times he has claimed that he lived in a house that had no working bathrooms and that their shower was a hose attached to a sink. That may have been true, initially, but for most of his 2 - years in France, while he was avoiding military service, Romney lived in what has been variously described as a "palace." There were stained-glass windows, chandeliers, a full-time chef and a house boy. As Voltaire, a Frenchman, put it, "The comfort of the rich depends upon an abundant supply of the poor."
OpEdNews - Article: It's Time to "Swift Boat" Mitt Romney and the Republicans: It You're A Veteran, Or A Soldier, They Are Not Your Friends
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections