Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 01:55 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
Ohio is important because it is a state with lots of electoral votes that is also within reach for both parties in a presidential election, and it's been that way for several decades. Democrats do well in the cities, the northeast industrial area and the Appalachian southeast. Republicans do well in many suburbs, western Ohio and rural farm communities. So both parties have large bases of support in the state and if they can turnout their base, they can win. So it's really important electorally, because if you win Ohio, it brings you much closer to winning the election.

It also has sentimental value. Ohio is considered the heartland, or middle America. Whichever candidate wins Ohio has the satisfaction that he has won the support of the average American. Mitt Romney will win Alabama, and Obama will win Vermont, but both states are perceived as kind of out of the mainstream. It means a lot to say that you won Ohio, which is at the crossroads of many different regions and cultures of America. You've essentially won the center.

I'm thinking that has a lot to do with it
As per Gail Collins:

"Even among the elite brotherhood of swing states, Ohio is sort of special, particularly to Republicans. It is known, at least to the Ohio Historical Society, as the "Mother of Presidents," because eight inhabitants of the White House, all Republican, were from here. "

Gail Collins: Oh, to be undecided in Ohio - Post Bulletin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 01:58 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Romney is not only trailing in ohio but also in Florida. Both going to Obama leaves no path to victory for Romney. Not only that, but Romney is leading in no swing states at all.

That is only if you rely on the flawed polling being put forth which is a big mistake. Internal polling tells a different tale. While it's close in some of those states, Romney is leading in several of them also. I hope the Obama voters are complacent, it works to Mitt's advantage on election day.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
That is only if you rely on the flawed polling being put forth which is a big mistake. Internal polling tells a different tale. While it's close in some of those states, Romney is leading in several of them also. I hope the Obama voters are complacent, it works to Mitt's advantage on election day.
As a Romney campaign worker do you have access to the internal polls? How are you obtaining this information?

Old 09-28-2012, 03:27 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Does it really matter...I mean, Ohio has been in the doldrums for such a long time....
Should we start saying, Ohio, so goes the nation?
If that is the trend, third party is in order...I'm thinking Libertarian-Gary Johnson
Yes, Ohio matters a lot.

It is a large state with a lot of electoral votes up for grabs- 18, to be precise. 18 electoral votes is a much lower number than Ohio's high of 28 in the 60's, when it's population peaked, but it is still more votes than all other states except Texas, California, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, and Florida.
(and all those states are the most important swing states.)

If Romney loses Ohio, his possible routes to the magic number of 271 electoral votes becomes extremely limited. On the other hand, Obama still has many routes to 271 if he loses Ohio. Either way, Ohio is very valuable to both candidates.

For a 3rd party to ever win the White House would require the win of all those swing states or close to it. Even if a 3rd party candidate was to win every red state now firmly in control of the Republicans, at least 3 of those would be needed to win.
While Ohio is generally slightly more conservative than liberal, the two sides are almost equal, and Ohio has voted for the winner ever since the Republican party was founded, with the exception of 3 candidates, 1 Repub and 2 Dems. The last time Ohio voted for the losing party was 1960. This long history of swinging back and forth also makes Ohio very important.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yeah because he tried to become a Dictator.
So trying to become a dictator is a way to win votes? Uh, huh. You bet.
That's some boiled down to sludge crazy there, Sour.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I've never heard anyone suggest that people don't live in Ohio. Never. I actually lived there so I know something about the state.
I just dont understand how it weighs so heavily in the larger scheme. Illinois, Michigan, Indiana have good-sized populations and yet no one seems to care if someone does or doesn't win there.
That's all.
Because Ohio is a big state! It has lots and lots of people, and that translates to lots of electoral college votes. Illinois has more electoral votes than Ohio, but Michigan and Indiana do not.

All have large populations, but Ohio is larger than Michigan or Indiana. Candidates care deeply about winning Ohio, and in many past elections, Ohio was very often the hotly contested center, the critical state for a win. It just hasn't gotten the attention it usually gets for the past few elections.

It also has a long history of voting for the winner. That is why there is an old political saying:
"As Ohio goes, so goes the nation."

Old 09-28-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
No, it says they are both tied up or close to being tied up. If Romney were down by as much as some polls are saying in Ohio with one month to go, he would not be wasting resources or time there. VA is the same thing. More than likely Romney is actually leading in VA, but now with the introduction of a third party candidate that is a plant, he has to hustle there more than he would have. This is a tough race and nothing can be left to chance and it will be close. However, everytime people prognosticate about Mitt and how 'nobody has ever done this or that' and won or that he is finished or a just the on and on the media and the naysayers spew...he proves them wrong.

Some people thrive on being told they can't or won't do something. I think Mitt is one of those people. Most highly successful people are those people.
Sorry, Nita. Ohio is lost to Romney unless the skies part and the angels descend. Virginia is indeed a much closer race now, and it has been more of a swinger this time than Ohio, but Virginia is a real toss-up, and I think it will remain so all the way to the election.

Winning Virginia, however, won't save Mitt. he needs Virginia, Ohio, and Florida to win, and without those 3 combined, every other scenario looks very dicey at best.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:38 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

With all this, you say this just isn't a Republican year: do you mean nationwide or just Ohio and do you mean for the Presendentual election or the houses as well?

Old 09-28-2012, 07:09 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The Republicans had some pretty damn good momentum up until last year, but their Republican governor overshot his mandate and made the party look bad when he lost the referendum to kill the public sector unions. He saw what happened in Wisconsin and figured it would go over just as well in Ohio. Not so...and i think losing that referendum tainted the GOP brand in that state. Ohio should've been easily in the Romney column.

If any Buckeyes on this board have better insight, then expound please. Because that's my read as an outsider. I was in my dads hometown of Massillon during the vote, and that was the sentiment I got.

BTW...the Buckeye is a very conservative state for the most part.
No one talked about SB5 after the electtion.

The same day 87 of 88 Ohio Counties voted to not implement ObamaCare.

President Obama is not popular in Ohio. At all. I suspect these polls oversampled Cleveland and Toledo.

P.S. The Governor did not try to "kill" the unions at all. Not even close. He wanted to change the way they collectively bargain.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:14 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
One nice thing about living in Ohio right now is you can't turn on a
radio or television without seeing a gazillion campaign ads. lols.

If Obama was really ahead but 10 points all the ads would be pulled and
he and Romney would stop camping out here. As long as they are using resources here
the race is a toss-up. Don't care what the polls say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections