Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:35 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
If women want higher paying jobs and to close the wage gap on a macro level.....how about women start taking more math and science degrees instead of useless help sector trash like sociology and criminal justice...

That's a great start....help yourself!!
Get out of the kitchen and into the classroom is what I say!!!

Go tea party!!!!

Old 10-17-2012, 08:36 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Oh please, this all you Lefty whiners got? Purely PATHETIC! Meanwhile Obama got up there and completely lied about his policies, telling YOU that he is doing everything he is not. What he was saying last night is the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of what he is really doing, and you believe him. There goes your credibility.
If left wing kooks didnt come to city data to show their hate and stupidity, the site would be boring..

Old 10-17-2012, 08:41 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,476,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You don't know what you're talking about. No sane person disagrees with pay for performance or pay based on experience. That is not what equal pay for equal work means. If I did not have to go to work later this morning, I could dig around the 'net and find some studies that show that, even when controlling for all those factors, women still make less than men, in the same companies. In my own profession, nursing, it's obvious. Even though men comprise <10% of the nursing workforce, they tend to be promoted quicker, and get more raises.
hmm...I quoted one of those studies

Quote:
Quote:
We often hear about a "wage gap" between women and men. In 1992, the ratio of female to male, year-round, fulltime earnings was 71 cents to the dollar. This includes workers of all ages and all types of jobs. Among workers 25 to 34, the 1992 ratio was 82 cents on the dollar. And in a real "apples to apples" comparison, the gap narrows more. June E. O'Neill, director of the Congressional Budget Office, did a study based on the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth by Ohio State University's Center for Human Resources Research. O'Neill found that among people 27 to 33 who have never had a child, women's earnings were about 98-99% of men's. Similar results occur if you compare the earnings of women and men of the same education and experience in the same professions.

Women also have created jobs, for themselves and others. In 1980, there were about 2 million women-owned businesses with about $25 billion in sales. in 1996, according to the National Foundation for Women Business Owners, nearly 8 million companies with more than $2.25 trillion in sales are owned by women. One in four American workers is employed by a woman-owned business.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:42 AM

58,996 posts, read 27,284,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
WTF??

Romney, say goodbye to the female vote
I don't know. Instead of guessing and trying to discredit Romney on what you think you heard instead of the facts, why don't you look up the transcript and find out and get back to us.

16,545 posts, read 13,449,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
And it answered the question of "how will you ensure that women and men will have equal pay?" how exactly?

Equal pay and time to cook, clean and take care of the kids are NOT the same thing.

He used an anecdote that was only slightly related to the topic to dodge the question because he has no actual plans. Kinda like his answer to the very first question where he said "I have a plan, I know how to do it, I can get it done" without actually saying HOW.

I'm voting for Johnson because I don't support the Democrat's idea of a nanny state nor do I support the Democrats and the Republicans in their blank check military budgets. Nor do I support their policies on the criminalization of vice. Nor do I agree with them that it's okay to trade with Saudi Arabia, Venezuela and China while I can't take advantage of my business contacts in Cuba which stand to make me filthy rich if we ever end the embargo. What I do agree with the Democrats on is the idea that things are unfair and skewed to making the rich richer while making everyone else poorer as a result.

It's a pretty simple solution to the equal pay problem. TRANSPARENCY IN SALARIES SHOULD BE MANDATORY. There should be a public database where I can see how much my colleagues, superiors and subordinates make and can use that information to ensure that I'm being paid fairly. It's a pretty simple solution. The only reason why salaries are secret is to protect management and to help them get away with taking massive sums of money while laying off their lower-paid workers.
There are already laws for that. That's all that needed to be said. It was a stupid ass question.

8,732 posts, read 6,780,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You have obviously never worked in health care. You can't leave your patients. Nursing jobs are among the most inflexible. So are jobs teaching in K-12.
Of course there are the exceptions. Firewomen, policewomen, hospitals, etc. Teachers work about 8 months a year and since when do teachers work until 7 in the evening? I did say "companies". I didn't know that schools, hospitals, healthcare facilities fall under the category "company".

Old 10-17-2012, 08:43 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,481,241 times
3.5 million more women are in poverty now than when Obama took office.

Equal pay under Obama is that if a woman can't find a job ... then she is making exactly what an unemployed man is making. NOTHING.

Romney wants to get women back to work.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:46 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,145,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Of course there are the exceptions. Firewomen, policewomen, hospitals, etc. Teachers work about 8 months a year and since when do teachers work until 7 in the evening? I did say "companies". I didn't know that schools, hospitals, healthcare facilities fall under the category "company".
Teachers OFTEN work AFTER quitting time...there's conferences and after school activities.

Yes, YOU do NOT understand the word "company"....it's like "employer".

Old 10-17-2012, 08:48 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Teachers OFTEN work AFTER quitting time...there's conferences and after school activities.

Yes, YOU do NOT understand the word "company"....it's like "employer".
Most people I know work after "quitting" time..

Old 10-17-2012, 08:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL my response was completely overlooked, so I'll repeat myself (guess it was just too long for people to bother with in a sound byte age):

I worked in management and HR for decades, and also owned my own business for several of those years. In other words, I've hired a lot of people in my lifetime, and dealt with many staffing issues, schedule issues, etc. Actually - hundreds and hundreds of employees over the course of twenty five years.

<snip>
Your post was great. I will say, however, that I read an article in some parenting magazine that said that while women may ask for more time off to do some of those things, men often just quietly do them. In other words, while a woman may put in for 1/2 day vacation to go to her kid's school program, a man may just go and not submit the request for vacation pay. If the manager doesn't keep a close check, they guy gets away with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections