Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Team Obama go after Romney's Mormon faith these last 3 weeks?
Yes 13 17.57%
No 59 79.73%
Unsure 2 2.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 05:29 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Even though, I think that would be dirty, well, if Obama was the Mormon and Romney was the non Mormon, once would have to live under a rock to not know what team Rove, the Super PACS and Fox News would do.
Fight fire, with fire?
Thoughts?
Who really cares that Romney is a Mormon? Aside from the RWNJs (aka the Christian fundamentalists) no one else really cares and its not an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 05:39 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Even though, I think that would be dirty, well, if Obama was the Mormon and Romney was the non Mormon, once would have to live under a rock to not know what team Rove, the Super PACS and Fox News would do.
Fight fire, with fire?
Thoughts?
The Dems would have to do it "undercover" in the way that Lee Atwater passed out caricatures of "John Mccain's black baby". Maybe have a flyer with God and the Virgin Mary having sex and Mitt in white mormon heaven cavorting with a bunch of blonde mormonettes. The evangelical rednecks would eat it up.

An outright attack on Romey's religion would backfire and not meet the Dem's standard of keeping it classy.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:33 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
The Dems would have to do it "undercover" in the way that Lee Atwater passed out caricatures of "John Mccain's black baby". Maybe have a flyer with God and the Virgin Mary having sex and Mitt in white mormon heaven cavorting with a bunch of blonde mormonettes. The evangelical rednecks would eat it up.

An outright attack on Romey's religion would backfire and not meet the Dem's standard of keeping it classy.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:40 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm just really, really curious, DifferentDrum, why -- after I've tried to pin you down on these issues at least three times previously -- you have continued to ignore my posts? You keep posting the same things over and over and you have yet to answer my questions. Why is that? The last time I asked you, you apologized for missing it and asked me to directl you to my post, which I did. You still ignored me? Something tells me it's because you know that I know what I'm talking about and you can't refute what I've been saying.

Incidentally, my atheist brother-in-law loves telling people he used to be a Priest in the LDS Church. He gets a real kick out of watching their reactions. Do you know what it takes to be a Priest in the LDS Church? Basically, you have to be male and still be attending Church when you turn 16 years old. To be a High Priest, you have to still be attending when you're quite a bit older. It's not what you seem to think it is.
Re your post, I did not ignore it but, as I recall, that thread was locked and I couldn't respond.

Everything you say is reactionary to what I have said so I have probably already answered your question in my initial statements. Perhaps it is you who does not understand the Priesthood. I have certainly posted a lot on this with many cites and references provided, whereas you usually make statements without any references of support for your positions.

Let people decide for themselves after being started with some references, and go from there if they have an interest in doing so.

FROM THE LDS OFFICIAL SITE:

High Priest—Melchizedek Priesthood

see also High Priest—Aaronic Priesthood; Priesthood, Melchizedek; BD High priest.
  • Melchizedek … priest of the most high God, Gen. 14:18
  • Thou art a priest for ever, Ps. 110:4
  • consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Heb. 3:1
  • Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec, Heb. 5:10
  • Jesus, made an high priest, Heb. 6:20
  • such an high priest became us, who is holy, Heb. 7:26
  • We have such an high priest, who is set on the right, Heb. 8:1
  • Christ being come an high priest, Heb. 9:11
  • having an high priest over the house of God, Heb. 10:21....etc
High Priest

1–6, There are two priesthoods: the Melchizedek and the Aaronic; 7–12, Those who hold the Melchizedek Priesthood have power to officiate in all offices in the Church; 13–17, The bishopric presides over the Aaronic Priesthood, which administers in outward ordinances; 18–20, The Melchizedek Priesthood holds the keys of all spiritual blessings;

Doctrine and Covenants 107:53-57*

7 The office of an aelder comes under the priesthood of Melchizedek.
8 The aMelchizedek Priesthood holds the right of presidency, and has power and bauthority over all the offices in the church in all ages of the world, to administer in spiritual things.

"For those who don't already feel they have a clear basis for assessing his honesty, let Mitt Romney respond to this question. Will he tell the truth, or lie? Millions of ex-mormons who have attended the temple will be watching. They know the truth of this matter. It is astounding that the press on any level "can't" figure it out and has nothing to say of any great consequence on such clear and relevant questions of separation of Church and State where a High Priest of the Mormon Church runs for the Presidency of the United States, at the same time being under strict and unequivocal covenant of obedience to the Church in published ordinances."

Mitt Romney would have to put loyalty to Mormon church over job as president says Fred Karger | Park Romney Research

What do you REALLY think of Mitt's Campaign for the presidency?

I have read Park Romney's book "The Apostasy of a High Priest, the sociology of an American cult " from cover to cover. Have you? It, in my opinion, could almost be considered a masterpiece.

Reader's Favorite Quotes | Park Romney Research

An excellent documentary:

Mormons in Transition - Lost Book of Abraham: Investigating a Remarkable Mormon Claim

Old 10-19-2012, 08:19 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
Re your post, I did not ignore it but, as I recall, that thread was locked and I couldn't respond.
If that was the case, then you're excused.

Quote:
Everything you say is reactionary to what I have said so I have probably already answered your question in my initial statements.
No, it's not. I have merely corrected inaccurate information when it is posted.

Quote:
Perhaps it is you who does not understand the Priesthood.
Excuse me? Why would you make such a stupid comment? I have been a Mormon for 64 years, for crying out loud. Disagree with me if you like, but don't insult my intelligence.

Quote:
I have certainly posted a lot on this with many cites and references provided, whereas you usually make statements without any references of support for your positions.

Let people decide for themselves after being started with some references, and go from there if they have an interest in doing so.

FROM THE LDS OFFICIAL SITE:

High Priest—Melchizedek Priesthood

see also High Priest—Aaronic Priesthood; Priesthood, Melchizedek; BD High priest.
  • Melchizedek … priest of the most high God, Gen. 14:18
  • Thou art a priest for ever, Ps. 110:4
  • consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Heb. 3:1
  • Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec, Heb. 5:10
  • Jesus, made an high priest, Heb. 6:20
  • such an high priest became us, who is holy, Heb. 7:26
  • We have such an high priest, who is set on the right, Heb. 8:1
  • Christ being come an high priest, Heb. 9:11
  • having an high priest over the house of God, Heb. 10:21....etc
High Priest

1–6, There are two priesthoods: the Melchizedek and the Aaronic; 7–12, Those who hold the Melchizedek Priesthood have power to officiate in all offices in the Church; 13–17, The bishopric presides over the Aaronic Priesthood, which administers in outward ordinances; 18–20, The Melchizedek Priesthood holds the keys of all spiritual blessings;

7 The office of an aelder comes under the priesthood of Melchizedek.
8 The aMelchizedek Priesthood holds the right of presidency, and has power and bauthority over all the offices in the church in all ages of the world, to administer in spiritual things.

I don't disagree with any of this. Furthermore, none of this implies that a priesthood holder would ever find himself in a position where his loyalities might be divided. If you'll go back and read what you just posted, every single solitary reference to power or authority is said to pertain specifically to church-related matters. No LDS priesthood holder would see his priesthood authority as extending to matters of secular government. I can't believe how paranoid you are over nothing! Seriously, for anyone who actually knows, your concerns border on laughable.

Quote:
"For those who don't already feel they have a clear basis for assessing his honesty, let Mitt Romney respond to this question. Will he tell the truth, or lie? Millions of ex-mormons who have attended the temple will be watching. They know the truth of this matter. It is astounding that the press on any level "can't" figure it out and has nothing to say of any great consequence on such clear and relevant questions of separation of Church and State where a High Priest of the Mormon Church runs for the Presidency of the United States, at the same time being under strict and unequivocal covenant of obedience to the Church in published ordinances."

Mitt Romney would have to put loyalty to Mormon church over job as president says Fred Karger | Park Romney Research
And I keep asking you for some evidence of what these "published ordinances" say and how they could lead to a conflict of interest. I have asked you twice before whether you think that Mitt Romney, as an LDS High Priest, has made any "covenants" that I, as a non-priesthood-holding LDS woman have not also made. I'm guessing you think he has, but you're either unable or unwilling to expound upon that claim. I've also asked you to suggest a situation in which he would even have to choose between the LDS Church and his responsibilities as the President of the United States. You've also failed to respond to that question. If Romney's religion beliefs would interfere with his ability to govern, I'd like to see some possible scenarios in which this might be the case. Don't just keep saying the same thing over and over again unless you can provide some evidence that you actually know what you're talking about.

Quote:
I have read Park Romney's book "The Apostasy of a High Priest, the sociology of an American cult " from cover to cover. Have you? It, in my opinion, could almost be considered a masterpiece.
Of course you do. It's a classic case of "confirmation bias." I've seen enough exerpts from it that I don't need to read the entire book to know that it's inaccurate.

I'd really appreciate some answers. I suppose you could always wait until this thread, too, is closed, and then claim that you weren't given the opportunity to respond. I won't be awfully surprised if that happens.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:10 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times
Mormon faith vs attending church with Jeremiah Wright as the reverand and possible ties to the Muslim faith.

for some reason I think Obama wants to stay as far away from religion as possible, could just be me though.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:03 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Mormon faith vs attending church with Jeremiah Wright as the reverand and possible ties to the Muslim faith.

for some reason I think Obama wants to stay as far away from religion as possible, could just be me though.
Not just you, I also want to stay as far away from religion as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections