Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 10:42 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I, for one, haven't the slightest clue why she did that. It appeared to be some kind of lame attempt to appear playful and unconcerned. Who can understand these people? The woman looks like Walter Mondale in a dress and is married to a man who has devoted his political life to an ideology that has more in common with that of the Klan than not.

Frankly, the two of them together scream, "scam I am."

I, too will be glad when the election is over. But there will still be those that spew nothing but vitriol.

I thought we had at least gotten to the point where we realized there were policy issues with Obama that many people strongly disagree with. But I see the race card is still in play. Personal attacks by Obama have been a major part of this campaign and I guess some lefties find that appealing in a president. I don't even find it appealing in a third grader... but to each his own.

I guess Obama can wear that badge proudly. But from where I stand, being on the defensive is not moving Forward. Once again, there will be those that fall for the Hope and Change fallacy. Obama loves the education system for this reason. Romney won the fact check on education...he has actually done things to make it better. Obama just gives lip service, as usual.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
maybe if you had heard the entire interview you would not have picked out this part: you took it totally out of context: The question went something like this: what it the one thing that would concern you the most if he is elected? She didn't say anything about him having mental problems like you are suggesting and the poster claims she has said over and over..This is why I do not pay any attention to YouTube. I am sure,even though you do not like or support Romney, you can realize she never claimed he has mental issues..Be honest!!!!!!!

Old 10-23-2012, 10:52 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,475,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
So you don't agree that Obama won the debate??? Now who is taking the shrooms?
You mean Obama bin Laden?

Old 10-23-2012, 10:53 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
though i wonder how insulting the navy is going to play out in virginia-a battleground state.

i suppose it is worth it for the smart quip, though.

right?
We also don't have as many cannons and leeches are almost non-existent in military hospitals.

President Obama clearly explained the difference between "the number of ships" and the strength of the Navy. He explained that he sat down with all of the military forces, including heads of the Navy, to discuss what resources they need.

What is so difficult to understand here? We were fighting 2 wars and spending trillions. Now one has ended and the other will end in 2 years. We are maintaining the same budget, not cutting military spending. So, doesn't that mean we're actually spending a lot more on our troops? Doesn't this mean we're strengthening our armed forces from within, instead of using our money to train Iraqi and Afghan troops?

Romney was wrong. Period. He's trying to paint a picture of a president who wants to weaken our military, and the President explained that it just doesn't work that way. I no longer have a phone plugged into the wall jack. So what? Does it mean my communications are weaker or am I saying that, with today's technology, I am spending my money on one mobile device that gives me a lot more so I can be more efficient? Obama was being kind to Romney. He didn't mention when Romney said "Soviet Union" instead of Russia a few months ago. He didn't criticize him on his Syria remark (being Iran's route to the sea) but he needed to explain that he is in no way weakening the Navy or its ability to protect our country.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:57 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
We also don't have as many cannons and leeches are almost non-existent in military hospitals.

President Obama clearly explained the difference between "the number of ships" and the strength of the Navy. He explained that he sat down with all of the military forces, including heads of the Navy, to discuss what resources they need.

What is so difficult to understand here? We were fighting 2 wars and spending trillions. Now one has ended and the other will end in 2 years. We are maintaining the same budget, not cutting military spending. So, doesn't that mean we're actually spending a lot more on our troops? Doesn't this mean we're strengthening our armed forces from within, instead of using our money to train Iraqi and Afghan troops?

Romney was wrong. Period. He's trying to paint a picture of someone who wants to weaken our military, and the President explained that it just doesn't work that way. I no longer have a
phone plugged into the wall. So what? Does it mean my communications are weaker or am I saying that, with today's technology, I am spending my money on one mobile device that gives me a lot more so I can be more efficient.

I can't possibly imagine how anyone can say when Obama added "we have aircraft carriers" and "we have nuclear submarines" is insulting the Navy, although I'm sure the Romney camp is going to spin it that way.
Yep.
And, if anyone was insulting the Navy, and the military in general, it was Mr. Romney. Clearly he has no idea what our capabilities are today.

Comments from an expert:

""I thought the president's line was terrific," said Richard Danzig, who served as secretary of the Navy for two years under President Bill Clinton. "You don't measure efficacy by the number of ships. You measure it by your firepower, by the character of your people, the character of your equipment.""

And, "The independent fact-checking site Politifact has ranked Romney's claim that the Navy is the smallest it's been since 1917 as a "pants on fire" falsehood."

Obama Was Right On Navy, Says Former Navy Secretary Richard Danzig

Old 10-23-2012, 11:01 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
I was also glad to see Obama point out that Massachusetts was 48th out of 50 in job creation under Wittens. I wish he had him much harder than that, but I'm just glad he finally brought that fact to light.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:01 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Even when they hear the words, they don't hear the words.
Incredible.
Yup - like the day after the attack on the embassy in the Rose Garden when President Obama called it an "act of terror" and the RW nutjobs insist he wasn't referring to the attack that killed Stevens and three others, even though the entire rest of what the president talked about was the attack.

They manage to pick out three words out of the entire speech and insist he wasn't using those words about the embassy attack.

I swear, there is some weird disconnection from reality thing going on in the brains of the republi-CONS.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the links everyone! So not only was Romney confused, he was wrong (or lying?) about the number of Navy ships too!

Old 10-23-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
maybe if you had heard the entire interview you would not have picked out this part: you took it totally out of context: The question went something like this: what it the one thing that would concern you the most if he is elected? She didn't say anything about him having mental problems like you are suggesting and the poster claims she has said over and over..This is why I do not pay any attention to YouTube. I am sure,even though you do not like or support Romney, you can realize she never claimed he has mental issues..Be honest!!!!!!!
Talking about Ann Romney is off-topic, but since you posted a video of her, I want to add that as long as some posters are accusing Obama of insulting the Navy, what about her remarks? When asked if any of her sons ever considered serving in the military, she said they served "in different ways." So basically she was equating knocking on doors handing out pamphlets to serving in the armed forces. When she said one of her sons went to college to become a doctor, and now he can treat wounded veterans, I almost threw up. Maybe the soldier who lost his legs wanted to become a doctor too, but didn't have rich parents, so he joined the military to get an education. Her comments reminded me of when Mitt was talking about a budget that will drastically reduce student loans and, during a campaign speech, said students can borrow from their parents or join the military if they want an education.

I'm guessing that the majority of people who are voting for Romney will be voting against Obama. Maybe it's because I can't understand why anyone would trust a man who says ABC on one day and XYZ the next. At least if the man stuck to his principles and continued to campaign on the same policies he championed 6 months ago, I would say "Okay, you have your opinion, and I have mine. We can agree to disagree." With Romney I don't know what I'm disagreeing with, because he might say something else tomorrow!

Well, to all of you who are voting for Romney, I say God pity our nation if this man becomes our leader.

Last edited by justNancy; 10-23-2012 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: fix typo

Old 10-23-2012, 11:26 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Thank you for this link.

Take another look at the picture of migrant workers picking crops and the blah blah beneath it:

"Philipinos cutting lettuce, Salinas, California, 1935. Photographer: Dorothea Lange.
In order to maximize their ability to exploit farm workers, California employers recruited from China, Japan, the Philippines, Puerto Rico, Mexico, the American south, and Europe."

It's interesting that in the midst of the Great Depression in 1935, when unemployment was about 20%,non U.S. people were imported to harvest crops.
You're welcome

Well, you know what they say, the more things change...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections