Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 09:26 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
plus Ohio, was a union state with all the rubber industry for years. I think it still is, more than Indiana, but yes, they are both very midwestern.
Not just rubber, and you indirectly hit on the reason. If Ohio didnt have Toledo and the old Western Reserve (NE Ohio, the Cleveland/Akron/Youngtown area and nearby counties) and "Applachian Ohio" it would be swining more red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 09:41 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Kind of interesting that Ohio is slightly pro-Obama, but Indiana is double digit Romney. Why are these two states so different?
Levels of education. They're different? Have you spent much time in Indiana? I have. Not a place I'd want to live, for very long.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:51 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,879 times
Is Gary, Indiana as much a h3ll hole as the media/internet say it is?

Old 02-22-2013, 10:00 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
They really aren't all that differently politically.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
They really aren't all that differently politically.
I see it prety much the same; Indiana isn't as controlled by unions but Ohio certainly isn't to the left of left and btw, anyone who thinks this has anything to do with education might want to examine some of the schools in Indiana? Remember it isn't a huge state and last time I checked both the University of Indiana and Purdue were pretty highly rated...In fact Purdue is one of the top engineering scholls in the counry..

Old 02-23-2013, 02:31 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Can someone tell me why Iowa is so different from Indiana politically? Seems like both states are largely rural, are in the mid-west, and have an agrarian economy. Yet Iowa is always a swing state (or leans Democrat), while Indiana is largely Republican.
Iowa is full of people that are of Dutch and Scandinavian descent, and these people tend to be much more socially liberal than most.

If you don't believe me, head up I-35 to the next state where everyone's last name ends in "son", "sen" or "berg".

Old 02-25-2013, 11:24 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,423,197 times
To be honest, it has a lot to do with culture. There are a lot of different ways to explore this... such as religious attitudes, accents, etc.

In short, though, Indiana overall is more culturally related to Kentucky than it is any other state. Sure you have the Chicago burbs which of course fall in line with Chicago.... South Bend is a conservative hot bed because of Notre Dame, and Fort Wayne and surrounding areas are similar to rural southern Michigan... but everywhere else is very similar to Kentucky.

Ohio on the other hand is an industrial center of America. The culture there is much more similar to Pennsylvania and southeastern Michigan. Areas around Cincinnati of course have a southern touch to them, but it is overshadowed by most of the rest of the state. SE Ohio is more like West Virginia, but there is a lack of population there.

Iowa culturally is more similar to Minnesota and Wisconsin... these three states have always been the heart of the farmer/labour political movement which is much more left wing.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:10 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,974 times
Its the ohio big city inner city type thought process. Indiana has one big city in indianapolis that for the most part acts like a old style big city not a new type. Most of indianapolis is clean and safe. Homes are well kept.

But mostly it is because we dont like goverment interveening in our lives here in indiana.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:52 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I see it prety much the same; Indiana isn't as controlled by unions but Ohio certainly isn't to the left of left and btw, anyone who thinks this has anything to do with education might want to examine some of the schools in Indiana? Remember it isn't a huge state and last time I checked both the University of Indiana and Purdue were pretty highly rated...In fact Purdue is one of the top engineering scholls in the counry..
Yeah Purdue has long been one of the great science and engineering centers of the nation. Neil Armstrong was a Purdue alum.

By contrast Ohio is mostly known for football, and maybe ballet (Rahm Emanuel went to Oberlin College in Ohio where he studied ballet). So you've got one state that values science and reason, and another that values either a)pulverizing each other or b) prancing around on tippy-toes. It's unsurprising that the former state is red, and the latter is blue.

edit--Rahm went to Sarah Lawrence College, not Oberlin. My apologies, Ohio.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:43 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Kind of interesting that Ohio is slightly pro-Obama, but Indiana is double digit Romney. Why are these two states so different?

I've never lived in either state, but I imagine both to be pretty nice Midwestern states. For some reason, I have always thought them two peas in a pod, but that is probably just from my ignorance. Are the histories and cultures really that different?

I'd love to hear some history or context from someone in that area who knows.

Thanks in advance!

Fiddlehead

The first thing to understand is Indiana and Ohio along with most midwestern states were the birthplace of the Grand Old Party which was formed by a union of Midwestern Whigs and Middle Atlantic, New York and New England Yankees. Until the Great Depression This was the solid base of the GOP from the time of Lincoln to Herbert Hoover. Indiana has never strayed from its GOP roots, Ohio has enough old line Industry in NE Ohio to make it interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections