Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 08:05 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I am a private citizen currently putting together a signup sheet that will facilitate private citizens mobilizing in event of a natural(or other wise disaster).

I have done much more to help people then just sign up volunteers - but I don't see a need to brag about that - and I only mention what I do when challenged by liberals who think they are cute by pitting liberals against conservatives vis a vis volunteerism.

I wil also be an available volunteer ready to serve if our team is required to spring into action.

People who try onesupmanship in this area are pathetic.

Are you volunteering to help out in such a manner?

Or do you only think that government has a role to play in the event of any crisis or emergency.

I know people who have volunteered in New Orleans following Katrina - and a member of my family has gone overseas to foriegn countries to help people suffering in those places(both are Republicans by the way).

I am sick and tired of hearing liberals say that "they care" but only promote government as being the engine that can do any good - while at the same demonizing Republicans as "not caring".

If you volunteer, donate to charity, and do good things - that is great - so do I.

Do not try to pump yourself up as somewhat better because of your political affilation.

People who are truly interested in service have no need to promote themselves.

So shove your dismissal of Mitt Romney's efforts.
Exactly. When liberals say "we" they mean "someone else". And when they say "must do something" they mean "bigger government".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 08:06 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,019,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Transparent political theater. I think that this storm is going to boost Obama's image immensely. Here he is in DC monitoring events, managing a huge crisis while Romney is out trying to make political hay of it. Shades of Libya.
So Obama is watching, while Romney is acting. I agree.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:10 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
How about everyone thanks everyone, Romney or not, for relief efforts AFTER the storm has passed and thank President Obama for concentrating on this issue and pre-actively issuing funds and support for this upcoming event.

Keep politics out of ~10 million people about to have a bad week.
Issuing "our" funds. Easy to be a hero when it's not you or your money on the line. But that's how Obama rolls.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:18 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Issuing "our" funds. Easy to be a hero when it's not you or your money on the line. But that's how Obama rolls.
Snap!

Old 10-29-2012, 08:21 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post

Politicizing an event where people could DIE is very inappropriate. It becomes outrageous when you've openly stated that part of your economic plan is to gut FEMA.
Mitt Romney In GOP Debate: Shut Down Federal Disaster Agency, Send Responsibility To The States
No worries, the Romney bus will come to the rescue.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:29 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So you don't believe in issuing federal dollars to help states out who suffer natural disasters? Rather let your fellow 60+ million Americans affected by this storm to fend for their own with limited state resources? If that is your opinion fine, but to me that is dang un-American....and sad.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:33 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
So you don't believe in issuing federal dollars to help states out who suffer natural disasters? Rather let your fellow 60+ million Americans affected by this storm to fend for their own with limited state resources? If that is your opinion fine, but to me that is dang un-American....and sad.
That's not what he said. He said it's easy to be a hero when it's not your money. Simple.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:46 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
As far as you and many other hardcore Obama supporters are concerned, Obama can do no wrong and whoever is running against him can do no right, despite what any facts or evidence show.

Not true.
I am quite realistic with regard to the president and anyone else running for office.
They are politicians first and foremost. Politicians - not saints, not messiahs, not miracle workers.

I also understand the limits of the office and what it means to live in a time when image is all.
I listen. I read. I hear. I know that there is no perfect candidate - never has been, never will be - as long as humans run for office.

Mr. Romney has been running for president for well over six years. The evidence is pretty clear that he is motivated by self-aggrandizement and little else. The same cannot be said for Sen. McCain, Rick Santorum or Ron Paul. I may not agree with their politics but I believe that they are motivated by a higher calling and respect them for it.
Mr. Romney will never have my respect and this latest marketing attempt to "humanize" him is just another reason why.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:47 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
So Obama is watching, while Romney is acting. I agree.
No. The President is doing his job. Mr. Romney has no job remember?

Old 10-29-2012, 08:47 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Just another way that Romney's campaign is like McCain's... a flip-flopping moderate always trying to appease the GOP's extremists, who chooses an inexperienced and little-known wingnut for a running mate, and then stops his campaign to grandstand his help to fight a disaster (e.g. the $700 Billion TARP Bill). Except in McCain's case, that disaster was caused by Bush, instead of Mother Nature!

And BTW, whaddaya bet Romney's campaign ends up the same way too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections