Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 12:56 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
Do you realize how much the US already spends on national defense
Do you realize how much money we spend on Welfare?

Federal spending on more than 80 low-income assistance programs reached $746 billion in 2011, and state spending on those programs brought the total to $1.03 trillion, according to figures from the Congressional Research Service and the Senate Budget Committee.

Military: National Security

Welfare:
2011 Welfare Spending $1.03 trillion dollars -> Something is wrong here
Welfare spending jumped 32% during Obama's administration -> Something is wrong here
I wonder what percentage of welfare recipients can work but refuse to work.
I wonder how many people on welfare want to work but can't find a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 01:00 PM

937 posts, read 927,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post

Federal spending on more than 80 low-income assistance programs reached $746 billion in 2011, and state spending on those programs brought the total to $1.03 trillion, according to figures from the Congressional Research Service and the Senate Budget Committee.

Welfare:
Welfare spending jumped 32% during Obama's administration -> Something is wrong here
Most of that is Social Security and Medicare though............................................ .................................................. ...............................
Not things like unemployment....
People age and it costs more to take care of them. That could explain the jump in welfare spending INCLUDING the recession and increase in unemployment payments. You're reaching for straws and stats but not trying to explain them
http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/...ending_40.html
FY 2013 Budget

Old 10-29-2012, 01:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
As we are seeing, the misinformation underlying the support for Republicans appears to be immune to factual correction.
snopes.com: Abraham Lincoln on Prosperity

Old 10-29-2012, 01:10 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
I personally know three of them. They were all employed until Obama took office and made it easier to get welfare and food stamps. They like staying home and drinking all day better than going to work. All are 50-ish Caucasian men. They sell their "food stamps" (EBT card) for 50 cents on the dollar for money to buy alcohol. They do this by hanging out at the store and approaching people as they go in. The person uses their card to buy food and essentially pays half price for it. Two of them even get social security disability (I don't know how, but they got it. I do know they applied before and were turned down, but now somehow qualify). I don't know how much one of them gets, but the other gets in excess of $1700. Plus section 8 housing and food stamps. I find it disgusting that they are allowed to do this and no one seems to care. And then I hear people saying that welfare fraud isn't rampant. Riiiiight.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Someone already pointed that out. See the rest of the thread. And when they did point it out, what I read said that this quote WAS widely attributed to Lincoln in his day and that's where the confusion comes in. But the point remains that the content is very true. I don't care who said it. I thought it was Lincoln, but turns out it wasn't. But that doesn't make it any less true.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:16 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Very amusing that the OP equates Romney to that quote no matter who's ideology it really was. Romney has one agenda and that is to speed up the race to PLUTOCRACY. Everything from increased military spending to privatizing social programs is to enrich Wall Street and the 1%. Romney is owned by the largest donors that have supported his campaign. His VP pick has been shown to be the biggest hypocrite concerning government programs that he has personally benefitted from. Who believes that Lincoln would have hid his money offshore so that it didn't find its way back into the economy of the USA or would have quoted Ayn Rand?

Comparing Romney to Lincoln is outrageously stupid and that is an understatement!

Old 10-29-2012, 01:17 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't think Romney is trying to give more to the rich. People who have earned their money have a right to the money they earned, don't they?

Redistribution of wealth is not the answer. There are people who should be working who are not because they don't have to. That's wrong. There are people in other countries who would give anything to have the opportunities we have in America. Romney wants to make America a place where people DO have the opportunity to succeed if they are willing to work for it. Obama would rather raise taxes and give handouts to those less fortunate. How about help those less fortunate to be able to provide for themselves and do better than just get by on what the Democrats want to dole out to them?
You just said our current environment is not working. You pointed to the unemployment #s as evidence. Our current environment is a continuation of the Bush corporate environment, which Romney will double down on.

You disagree w/ Obama's handling of the corporate environment, in which case means you'll disagree w/ Romney's even more since it's the same continuation of Bush policies that Obama is doing.

If you want something to change to fix the economy, then you need a different solution then what Obama has been doing & what Romney has said he will continue.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:23 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:

Welfare:
I`m sure you know that people who DO have jobs are getting Medicaid,Food Stamps or whatever. Walmart doesn`t pay very much.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:24 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
You just said our current environment is not working. You pointed to the unemployment #s as evidence. Our current environment is a continuation of the Bush corporate environment, which Romney will double down on.

You disagree w/ Obama's handling of the corporate environment, in which case means you'll disagree w/ Romney's even more since it's the same continuation of Bush policies that Obama is doing.

If you want something to change to fix the economy, then you need a different solution then what Obama has been doing & what Romney has said he will continue.
Isn't it strange that people forget that The Bush Tax Cuts have not been ended yet. They blame Obama for trickle down voodoo not working and they want more of the same on steroids. Go figure.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post

Romney and Obama are not the same at all in their approach. Unemployment has soared under Obama. People aren't working. That is what you have to fix, and obviously Obama doesn't know how or he would have already done it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections