Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 08:29 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,244 times

Advertisements

Finally a refreshing alternative. Bet he would get a lot of votes.

Colbert said he would run as both a Democrat and Republican. He earlier explained the strategy: "I can lose twice." He claimed three running mate possibilities: Colbert-Huckabee, Colbert-Putin or Colbert-Colbert.

Minutes after announcing his presidential pursuit, Colbert welcomed CBS political analyst Jeff Greenfield to ask how he had changed the race.

"This is going to be one for the books," said Greenfield

In a guest column for Maureen Dowd in Sunday's New York Times, Colbert wrote: "I am not ready to announce yet — even though it's clear that the voters are desperate for a white, male, middle-aged, Jesus-trumpeting alternative."

Colbert announces presidential pursuit - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 09:19 AM

7,542 posts, read 17,241,244 times
I might just vote for him if he really were serious.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:53 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Finally a refreshing alternative. Bet he would get a lot of votes.

Colbert said he would run as both a Democrat and Republican. He earlier explained the strategy: "I can lose twice." He claimed three running mate possibilities: Colbert-Huckabee, Colbert-Putin or Colbert-Colbert.

Minutes after announcing his presidential pursuit, Colbert welcomed CBS political analyst Jeff Greenfield to ask how he had changed the race.

"This is going to be one for the books," said Greenfield

In a guest column for Maureen Dowd in Sunday's New York Times, Colbert wrote: "I am not ready to announce yet — even though it's clear that the voters are desperate for a white, male, middle-aged, Jesus-trumpeting alternative."

Colbert announces presidential pursuit - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Does he have an attack wife? Stephen Colbert can't skip around his desk without hurting himself.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:13 AM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,132 posts, read 2,105,172 times
Default Michael Savage for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I might just vote for him if he really were serious.
Michael Savage will be a better candidate.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:04 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,391,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcian View Post
Michael Savage will be a better candidate.
Boy. THAT would go well. One day his dog would get hit by a Honda and we'd nuke Japan.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:09 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,095,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Boy. THAT would go well. One day his dog would get hit by a Honda and we'd nuke Japan.
Hell, he'd line up all atheists, pacifists, homosexuals, and liberals and force them to kamikaze airplanes into the middle-eastern nations.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:48 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,892 times
Colbert was on MTP Sunday. His reasoning for being against gay marriage was classic Colbert. I didn't realize there was such a disparity between dem and repub filing fees. Dems: $2500 or 3,000 signatures; Repubs: $25,000. The repubs may not get the joke, but the dems don't think it's funny. He's running right below Bill Richardson. He's getting a lot of attention. Maybe he should be included in the debates.

Clips:
In a three-way race with Hillary Clinton and Rudy Giuliani, Hillary has 45%, Rudy 35% — and Colbert breaks double digits to get 13%. With Fred Thompson as the Republican nominee, it's Clinton 46%, Thompson 34%, and Colbert 12%.

Colbert seems to draw most of his support from the GOP column, indicating a real unhappiness among Republican voters — either that, or conservatives who have watched his show really don't get the joke.

Election Central | Talking Points Memo | Poll: Colbert Breaks Into Double Digits As Third-Party Candidate (http://tpmelectioncentral.com/2007/10/poll_colbert_breaks_into_double_digits_as_thirdpar ty_candidate.php - broken link)

Rasmussen Reports™: The most comprehensive public opinion coverage ever provided for a mid-term election. (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/election_2008__1/2008_presidential_election/comedian_colbert_reaches_double_digits_as_third_pa rty_candidate - broken link)

Old 10-25-2007, 10:55 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
heh
I saw the "announcement."
Colbert, even when he is saying absolutely outrageous stuff, can be awfully convincing when in character.
This all reminds me so much of Pat Paulsen, who did get some votes.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:57 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,244 times
I heard on the news this AM that they did a telephone survey among potential Democratic voters and Colbert came in 5th place, beating out Bill Richardson and two other guys.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:08 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,391,361 times
Truth is, a lot of voters think politics are kind of a joke anyway. Why not vote for a comedian?

On "Wait, wait, Don't Tell Me" on NPR this weekend (a comedy news quiz show), Colbert was a guest, and he was there as Colbert the comedian, not Colbert the character. He was still jokey, but when asked if he could win in SC, he said "I will crush them under my bootheel" , lapsing into character as only Colbert can. When asked if how the campaign will continue after SC, he said "It doesn't!"

It's a funny thing, this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections