Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:43 AM

495 posts, read 747,978 times

Advertisements

Once again, the national media is inaccurately reporting the inauguration of Barack Obama as the inauguration of the first African-American president, when in fact – he is the first bi-racial president.

Obama First Bi-Racial President — Not African-American
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 09:47 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
I agree. I get so sick of hearing "African-American."
At the same time, some biracial people just pick one race to identify with and others are proud to say they are biracial.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:55 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Yeah, whatever. This is trivial.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:00 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,013 times
Gee, his father is African and his mother is American. Seems like "African-American" would fit...

Old 01-18-2009, 10:00 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
Sorry. He's African-American anyway you put it. I am sure you haven't bothered to research race classification in this country. However, there was a standard called the "one-drop rule" which said that if a person in this country has one drop of black blood in their body, that they were to be considered black.

One-drop rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mixed-race children in this country have always been treated like blacks. Judging from some of the racist responses heard throughout the country during the election process, I think the vast majority of people see Obama as being African-American. Still, it's very odd to me how some people want to claim the Obama is not completely black in an attempt to make African-Americans feel less proud. He is black, and the vast majority of people in this country accept that. His own mother accepted it. If she accepted it, you should too.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:04 AM

274 posts, read 197,334 times
LOL, at least someone understands this! He is not black! he is mixed! And well since he can be called african american all white's should be called european americans.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:10 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Who cares? You're trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill!

Old 01-18-2009, 10:16 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Sorry. He's African-American anyway you put it. I am sure you haven't bothered to research race classification in this country. However, there was a standard called the "one-drop rule" which said that if a person in this country has one drop of black blood in their body, that they were to be considered black.

One-drop rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mixed-race children in this country have always been treated like blacks. Judging from some of the racist responses heard throughout the country during the election process, I think the vast majority of people see Obama as being African-American. Still, it's very odd to me how some people want to claim the Obama is not completely black in an attempt to make African-Americans feel less proud. He is black, and the vast majority of people in this country accept that. His own mother accepted it. If she accepted it, you should too.

People choose to ignore this rule that has been in existence for a long time. It's almost as if they don't want to believe it.

I think you touched on a great point, it sounds as if people are saying it to try to minimize the signifance of the moment.

Their motives in such an arguement are transparent.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:11 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progressive25 View Post
Once again, the national media is inaccurately reporting the inauguration of Barack Obama as the inauguration of the first African-American president, when in fact – he is the first bi-racial president.

Obama First Bi-Racial President — Not African-American
so what, now all of a sudden many of u want to make accurate racial distinctions lol to try to soothe ur bitterness. hey one things for sure he has a black wife

until obama himself says he does not want to be refered to as a black american then sthu. its also said that warren g harding was part black so.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:16 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromutt View Post
LOL, at least someone understands this! He is not black! he is mixed! And well since he can be called african american all white's should be called european americans.
not so fast.... just because we choose to be called an african/ afro american dont mean u should follow suit, sometimes i wonder why the term caucasian is used and most whites in america are not of caucasian orgin(caucus region)
Peoples of the Caucasus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

but anyway do u have a argument for native americans that can be classified in many different ways
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections