Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 07:28 AM

723 posts, read 806,625 times

Advertisements

Why can't we elect those 9 justices?
Don't also understand they are called Justices instead of Judges, what's the difference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 08:48 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
The general argument for why Supreme Court justices are appointed, not elected is to limit the effect of political partisan bias and public influence. As the supreme legal body, we don't want them being bought off by rich donors in an election and most Americans are frankly too clueless to elect someone with adequate legal knowledge. Appointed by the President and confirmation by the Senate is intended to be a thorough vetting to make sure the justice is cut out for the job and will hopefully have an unbiased application of the law.

Judges are in the lower level circuit and district courts that hear criminal and civil cases. Justices are judges who sit on appellate courts.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:45 AM

723 posts, read 806,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
The general argument for why Supreme Court justices are appointed, not elected is to limit the effect of political partisan bias and public influence. As the supreme legal body, we don't want them being bought off by rich donors in an election and most Americans are frankly too clueless to elect someone with adequate legal knowledge. Appointed by the President and confirmation by the Senate is intended to be a thorough vetting to make sure the justice is cut out for the job and will hopefully have an unbiased application of the law.
This argument makes sense (based on reality).

Old 02-14-2015, 09:59 AM

4,583 posts, read 3,410,946 times
If I was to want ay changes, I would want a 55 minimum age. There are minimum age requirements for POTUS, House and Senate. I feel SCOTUS requires an additional wisdom that could be gained by age. Plus with a high minimum age, if the appointee ends up being a huge mistake, you only have to deal with it for 25-30 years.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:35 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
Don't also understand they are called Justices instead of Judges, what's the difference

Each State has one vote......
Not a popularity thing.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:38 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post

Judges are in the lower level circuit and district courts that hear criminal and civil cases. Justices are judges who sit on appellate courts.

The same was said for US Senators too.

Now look at the states representation in DC.
Big money buys their seat to get them there, but every now and then someone special beats all the money thrown at them.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:15 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Look at Alabama last week to see why judges should not be elected. We have judges openly defying federal law because if they don't, they won't win their next election.

I want SCOTUS making decisions based on the constitution and the law, not making up decisions to please their donors and win elections.

For the most part our system works pretty well, although we do still have the occasional ideologue like Scalia who makes a decision and then goes fishing for legal justification to support what he'd already decided.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:12 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
NO! There is good and sound reason why the Founders did not make them elective positions.

I suggest you learn why. It should be obvious.

I can't believe you would even suggest this.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:28 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
I was just reading something related to this in a book. Flyers is right in saying that the Judicial branch ( which includes SCOTUS) needs to be independent. Apparently, in 1790, the House wanted to impeach a Chief Justice whose decisions they vociferously disagreed with. When put to a vote by the Senate, the Senate almost unaminously agreed that the SCOTUS needed to be independent of the other branches. It's called the Judiciary Act of 1790.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
why can't we? I believe it is in the constitution and do you have any idea how hard it would be to make such a change? I do have a problem with it being a lifetime appointment, but still it is the way it is. As for a min age, no way should that be a factor in deciding who should be appointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections