Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 09:50 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes. We all got ballots mailed to us about October 15. Many have already voted, Republicans more than Dems! I think it's kind of amusing that the Pubs don't like this stuff, yet they avail themselves of the opportunity to do so when it's given them.

I filled my ballot out yesterday and turned it in at a drop-off center. I have "issues" about having to pay postage to vote.
I always go to the drop off center - I bring my son with me, and they give him an extra "I voted" sticker. I have been taking him with me to vote since he was a few months old. I would rather actually vote in person and miss having that as a community activity. But I still support anything that gets more people to vote. I find it kind of ironic that people are so concerned about potential (not even actual) voter fraud. I think it's a much, much bigger problem that so few people even bother to vote!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 09:57 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I was wondering if this question has been answered... ???

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...4184047AAxjZ4L
Fox News issue a correction?? Surely you jest. If Fox started doing that they would never have time for anything else. Luckily for them, their viewers don't care about such things.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:46 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes. We all got ballots mailed to us about October 15. Many have already voted, Republicans more than Dems! I think it's kind of amusing that the Pubs don't like this stuff, yet they avail themselves of the opportunity to do so when it's given them.

I filled my ballot out yesterday and turned it in at a drop-off center. I have "issues" about having to pay postage to vote.

Anybody here who does not occasionally get their neighbor's mail?
Since anyone can fill em out and turn em in, there is no accountability.
If some miscreant was motivated, they could follow the postman and collect ballots.
I can't believe anyone thinks that this is a good idea.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
If some miscreant was motivated, they could follow the postman and collect ballots.
There are some security measures. You have to sign the ballot, and there's a tear off on the envelope so the election judge can look at the sig and compare it with the signature on file. They have detailed training sessions for the election judges on this. If you don't get your ballot, you can call the elections office. If they issue you a new one, I believe they will cancel the first one issued. Give us a little credit for having some safeguards built in.
New Boulder County GOP election judges get training - Boulder Daily Camera

Old 11-03-2014, 01:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
From today's local paper, the headline story:
Despite attention, Colorado voter fraud remains rare, say clerks - Boulder Daily Camera

I had no idea this was an issue on "Talk TV" because I don't watch it.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:38 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
All states have had absentee voting for like forever. Vote by mail is just an extension - think of it as every one voting absentee.

Every state is different, but I am quite confident that they all have security measures in place to prevent just anyone voting on any ballots they run across somewhere. Same as they do in polling places, these measures involve signatures and privacy protection.

Electronic voting machines make me far more nervous than paper ballots. No need to be conspicuous by following the mailman or risk being caught due to signature comparisons. Just hire a hacker, and do it all without ever going out in public.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
All states have had absentee voting for like forever. Vote by mail is just an extension - think of it as every one voting absentee.

Every state is different, but I am quite confident that they all have security measures in place to prevent just anyone voting on any ballots they run across somewhere. Same as they do in polling places, these measures involve signatures and privacy protection.

Electronic voting machines make me far more nervous than paper ballots. No need to be conspicuous by following the mailman or risk being caught due to signature comparisons. Just hire a hacker, and do it all without ever going out in public.
I am sure they are doing everything possible to min. voter fraud, but mail in is still not as safe as walk in. Yes, it is an extension of absentee voting. The difference is: absentee voting is not done on a massive scale.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:46 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EuOT1bRYdK8

Old 11-04-2014, 06:37 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Oregon and Washington have had mail in voting for years now, and CO is just joining in. It's cost effective and encourages increased participation and no evidence to date that it has increased voter fraud. More people voting + less administrative costs = good.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:56 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
lol

I just love the opportunity you gave me, to open up on Malkin with full broadsides.

Malkin has zero credibility, Fox News has zero credibility. I've seen this little rightwing game before, in fact, it's being played in another argument on another thread, just like this. Right winger picks up minor story and employs innuendo and inference to both A) make it look vastly worse than it actually is (And often, it turns out it's completely unlike the right has portrayed it) and B) try to tie it directly to the Democrats.

You can drink Malkin's Kool Aid if you like, happy in getting the confirmation bias you so desperately want even if the source should give any reasonable person very serious doubts, but I don't play that game, Malkin has long ago forfeited her right to be taken seriously by me (or anyone else that doesn't already agree with her).
As Hillary Clinton would say "What difference does it make?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections