Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2012, 12:22 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,172,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
South Carolina polls have been a rollercoasterthroughout the campaign, but as Primary day inches closer, former Mass. Gov. Mitt Romney may be able to coast to a victory.

Two new polls show Romney with more than 10-point leads on former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.
One new poll, from Monmouth University, shows Romney with an 11-point lead on his nearest competition.
Romney earned 33 percent support among likely Republican primary voters, while Gingrich earned 22 percent.
Sen. Rick Santorum and Rep. Ron Paul both dropped to the third tier, with Santorum earning 14 percent support and Paul getting 12 percent.
Texas Gov. Rick Perry earned 6 percent support and former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman, who left the race Sunday, earned 4 percent.
Romney won most of his support with moderate, liberal or somewhat conservative voters, while Gingrich found favor with self-described Tea Party Republicans or those who considered themselves very conservative.
However, the poll also shows that evangelicals may be warming to Romney and his Mormonism. Romney led Gingrich among evangelicals 29 percent to 26 percent, with Santorum at 19 percent.
A second poll released Tuesday by Rasmussen Reports shows Romney with an even larger lead, earning 35 percent support from likely primary voters.

Update: Polls Show Romney's Lead Grows - Belmont, MA Patch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 12:27 PM

39,079 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Many are showing the opposite, but what they all show is that an awful lot of voters are still undecided or only weakly support their man. If Santorum dropped out, Gingrich would beat Romney handily (and vice versa for Gingrich). The "conservatives" are the ones winning SC, but the final tally will make it look like the moderate won the day. Democracy in action I guess.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:30 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,024,957 times

Old 01-18-2012, 12:32 PM

242 posts, read 235,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post

wow i thought romney may suffer after gingrich's strong performance in monday's debate.

would like to see romney stand up and be aggressive in thursday's debate so he can seal this nomination in SC itself.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:47 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
Um, I don't think these polls take into account Mitt's debate bombing (i.e. "I would sign the NDAA and I don't think Obama would use it wrongly")

Old 01-18-2012, 12:50 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Dixiegirl, just reading the comments at the end of the Romney and his Mormonism link in your post leaves me disgusted. It's hard to believe there are so many uninformed people out there. If Mormonism really taught 1/10th of what these idiots seem to think it teaches, most practicing Mormons would be as turned off by the religion they are. When I read, "Mormons believe..." followed by a bunch of absolute nonsense that I have never in 63 years heard taught in a Mormon worship service, I can't help wonder about the mentality of the people who are actually gullible enough to buy into these lies. I've also got to wonder about the integrity of any Christian who would stoop to lying to make a point. I guess, to these people, the end justifies the means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections