Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 07:06 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times

Advertisements

If you vote Democrat or Republican, by the time your state presidential primary rolls around do you expect to have a choice of candidates to vote for or will most, some or all but one have dropped out since Iowa voted?

Have you ever voted for someone who is still on the ballot but dropped out before your primary to protest/show your disdain for the state primary voting order?

Have you ever not voted at all on your state's primary day because your original choice of candidate dropped out before your state voted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 08:31 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,397,504 times
Not really...usually by the time it's Wisconsin's turn, the nominees are pretty apparent.

We really should go to a series of regional super-primaries. Have the East Coast one Tuesday, the Southeast the next week, etc. Get it done in 5-6 weeks. Then rotate positions for the next cycle. Giving states like Iowa and New Hampshire such overly huge importance in the electoral process is unfair to voters in other states.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:41 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Nope. My state's primaries come too late.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:50 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
I am so angry about this that I will make no political donations to any body or any group until I see who makes it to my primary. Every one of the candidates running should have enough clout in their respective parties to make a stink about this but they won't because they are afraid of ticking off the people in the early states. My state is about 9th in the order and most have dropped out by then. I can't imagine what it's like when your primary date is even later than that.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:27 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Default Do You Expect To Have A Choice When It Comes Time For Your State To Hold Its Primary?

Definitely!

I'm sure the GOP primary will still be hotly contested when it gets to Texas.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:40 PM

920 posts, read 634,396 times
Nope, we are too late in the primary season to have an effect. I champion the cause of making all primaries happen at the same time. The delay in caucuses and voting disenfranchises those in states at the end of the voting cycle.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:52 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,135,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If you vote Democrat or Republican, by the time your state presidential primary rolls around do you expect to have a choice of candidates to vote for or will most, some or all but one have dropped out since Iowa voted?

Have you ever voted for someone who is still on the ballot but dropped out before your primary to protest/show your disdain for the state primary voting order?

Have you ever not voted at all on your state's primary day because your original choice of candidate dropped out before your state voted?
I haven't ran across this yet. My primary choice have always been available on super Tuesday.

That said, the way we vote in primaries needs to change! Instead of doing one state here and there, all states should have their primary votes done on the exact same day.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:25 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,719,194 times
No. Unaffiliated voters in my state can't vote in primaries.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:08 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
No. Unaffiliated voters in my state can't vote in primaries.
Even for registered party members, the Pennsylvania primary is fashionably late and presidential contests are more often or not decided by the end of April.

Just as well, I'm not sure if I'd want to see all of the leading politicians in town day after day after day before the vote.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:28 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

Not a registered Repub or Dem so I get no say in the Primaries, stuck with who the two major Parties trot out as their answer to would best run the Nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections