Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 12:25 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times

Advertisements

johndoeboy - hip-hop? You've got to be kidding me. I don't think that has anything to do with anything. People who are the sorts to base their voting decisions on music are the sort of people who don't vote in presidential primaries.

I'm a Caucasian woman in the 35-40 age bracket who fully intends to vote for Obama in the primaries. Hip-hop has nothing to do with it as I've never been a huge fan (although I will admit to attending a Public Enemy concert in 1980's)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 12:32 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoeboy View Post
It means exactly what it says. Why are white voters age 18-30 mostly voting for obama by a landslide. I was asking could it be because of hip-hop. Alot of white kids grew up listening to hip-hop and going to school with blacks. I think that has alot to do with it.
Black music has been a part of our cultural mainstream far longer than hip hop. So I don't see how that has anything to do with it, unless we're going to say that Obama is successful with young people because of jazz, blues, ragtime, funk, soul, r&b and rock and roll.

The far more likely reason is that Obama is a) the fresh face b) younger and looks younger than he is and c) has been actively courting this voter group since the beginning of the campaign.

I said this in another post today, but in a campaign where there are little substantive policy differences between Obama and Clinton, voters look for other attributes to distinguish them. And I don't think Ghostface Killa has much to do with it.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:34 PM

383 posts, read 723,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
johndoeboy - hip-hop? You've got to be kidding me. I don't think that has anything to do with anything. People who are the sorts to base their voting decisions on music are the sort of people who don't vote in presidential primaries.

I'm a Caucasian woman in the 35-40 age bracket who fully intends to vote for Obama in the primaries. Hip-hop has nothing to do with it as I've never been a huge fan (although I will admit to attending a Public Enemy concert in 1980's)
Ok so why are blacks and whites between the age of 18-30 more likely to be friends with each other, date, and vote for each other. Than blacks and whites over the age of 40. When in the history of this country has there been a election where the age 18-30 came out to vote in such large numbers. You do know most hip-hop cd's are brought by white males. Its kinda hard to discriminate if your favorite singer or rapper is a black person.

If not hip-hop can you explain then why whites btw the age of 18-30 are voting for obama by a large shot. I don't see whites over the age over 50 voting for obama like the age 18-30. One age group was raised during the hip-hop generation and the other the civil rights generation.

Please explain your reasoning then

Old 01-27-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Black music has been a part of our cultural mainstream far longer than hip hop. So I don't see how that has anything to do with it, unless we're going to say that Obama is successful with young people because of jazz, blues, ragtime, funk, soul, r&b and rock and roll.

The far more likely reason is that Obama is a) the fresh face b) younger and looks younger than he is and c) has been actively courting this voter group since the beginning of the campaign.

I said this in another post today, but in a campaign where there are little substantive policy differences between Obama and Clinton, voters look for other attributes to distinguish them. And I don't think Ghostface Killa has much to do with it.
But with all that music you named blacks and whites still didn't want to be around each other. Didn't want to go to church together and definitely not live in the same neighborhood. This is about white voters who are the age of 18-30 how many of them listen to jazz, blues, ragtime, funk, soul, r&b, and rock and roll compared to hip hop. Most white people think whites starting rock and roll so come on.

Mitt romney, and huckabee are fresh faces and young looking and obama is still crushing them and everybody else when it comes to young voters of any race.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:42 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,432,712 times
Quote:
When in the history of this country has there been a election where the age 18-30 came out to vote in such large numbers.
Eugene McCarthy in 1968.

Sort of blows your hip hop theory right up, doesn't it?

Old 01-27-2008, 12:44 PM

Not really because it has already been stated that more young voters and voters in general. Will come out in record numbers for this election. South carolina alone double its turnout from 2004.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:54 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Quote:
But with all that music you named blacks and whites still didn't want to be around each other. Didn't want to go to church together and definitely not live in the same neighborhood. This is about white voters who are the age of 18-30 how many of them listen to jazz, blues, ragtime, funk, soul, r&b, and rock and roll compared to hip hop. Most white people think whites starting rock and roll so come on.

Mitt romney, and huckabee are fresh faces and young looking and obama is still crushing them and everybody else when it comes to young voters of any race.
Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee are basically campaigning for Bush's third term without naming Bush. So, no, that does not make them fresh faces.

The younger demographic has been trending more and more to the liberal side ever since the 2000 election. Obama is the recipient of that trend, as the candidate whom these voters think of as "theirs".

But to claim this is because of hip-hop? It's just such a strange claim with so little behind it except your apparent hunch, I guess it's not worth the time to continue engaging in it.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:26 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,887 times
One thing I love about America, is that the votes cast by the good folks of Iowa and New Hampshire are equally as valuable and honored as the votes cast by the good folks of South Carolina.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:42 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,211 times
Quote:
The younger demographic has been trending more and more to the liberal side ever since the 2000 election. Obama is the recipient of that trend, as the candidate whom these voters think of as "theirs".
Agreed, I think to the younger demographic (and even some of us older folks ) Hillary represents the same tired old DC establishment.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:47 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,159,784 times
Quote:
The younger demographic has been trending more and more to the liberal side ever since the 2000 election.
Any man who is under 30 and is not a liberal has no heart; and any man who is over 30 and not a conservative has no brains. - Winston Churchill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections