Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 07:28 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times

Advertisements

Iowa pollster: 'We

in Iowa. The more he talks, the more people like him.

Contrast that with Hillary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 08:02 PM

325 posts, read 255,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Iowa pollster: 'We

in Iowa. The more he talks, the more people like him.

Contrast that with Hillary.
Sadly, that is a poll of 400 likely Iowa GOP Caucusgoers. You know, the kind of people that have probably never actually seen a minority, and propelled Rick Santorum (!) to a victory in 2012 and Mike Huckabee in 2008. A bit out of the voting mainstream, even among Iowa Republicans.

It's a cool story, but look at the bigger picture - inbred farmers are a very poor predicting bloc for electoral success. I mean, we all know how the 2008 Huckabee vs. Obama election went......

Old 08-31-2015, 08:40 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac_5 View Post
Sadly, that is a poll of 400 likely Iowa GOP Caucusgoers. You know, the kind of people that have probably never actually seen a minority, and propelled Rick Santorum (!) to a victory in 2012 and Mike Huckabee in 2008. A bit out of the voting mainstream, even among Iowa Republicans.

It's a cool story, but look at the bigger picture - inbred farmers are a very poor predicting bloc for electoral success. I mean, we all know how the 2008 Huckabee vs. Obama election went......
^ well said, this is pretty much the reason why I put zero stock into the Iowa primaries. The Iowa GOP tends to be very, very conservative and very far away from the mainstream even within the GOP as a whole. They always vote for the most extreme, most bigoted, most unelectable candidate of the bunch.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:18 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
^ well said, this is pretty much the reason why I put zero stock into the Iowa primaries. The Iowa GOP tends to be very, very conservative and very far away from the mainstream even within the GOP as a whole. They always vote for the most extreme, most bigoted, most unelectable candidate of the bunch.
Yeah. If other states give trump his edge, I can see the OPs point but the caucus isn't the best indicator and typically just gives false hope.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:29 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Flipping negatives is exceptionally rare in politics. I personally didn't even think it was possible in any size able way. Trump has certainly turned traditional modeling on its side.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:29 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:

It is the insulting, denigrating, smug attitude of citizens such as yourself (and insulated, elitist politicians who share your attitude) who are providing the impetus for outsider candidates such as Trump, Carson, and others to make such huge inroads.. Keep it up. The unwashed masses across the country have had enough.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
It is the insulting, denigrating, smug attitude of citizens such as yourself (and insulated, elitist politicians who share your attitude) who are providing the impetus for outsider candidates such as Trump, Carson, and others to make such huge inroads.. Keep it up. The unwashed masses across the country have had enough.
My friend, please enjoy your "inroads". Get angry! Shout across the AM radiowaves! An inbred farmer or trailer park craftsman has as much right to "grievances" as the Wall Street Banker or the First-Generation Salvadorean immigrant. And you can air those grievenaces on Talk Radio, the Iowa Caucases, or really any forum you chose.

Just realize you only have solidarity with about 20% of the US population, and that 20% is usually on the losing side of the electoral college but an influential part of the GOP nominating process. It's a "walled garden" of undereducated whites - shrinking in number and status, and alienated from any coalition that can win the Presidency (although you can probably hold Congress until the dam finally breaks around 2020).

It's just math, my friend. Everyone has some form of "insulation", and I am merely commenting on yours.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:

God how little you know about Iowa!!! It is a shame when people post garbage and know nothing about about what they say. Iowa may be filled with farmers, but they are not inbred, not dumb, poor or in many case uneducated.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:47 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
It isn't a primary. Do a little research!!!!!!!!

Old 08-31-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
God how little you know about Iowa!!! It is a shame when people post garbage and know nothing about about what they say. Iowa may be filled with farmers, but they are not inbred, not dumb, poor or in many case uneducated.
Don't get too upset with hyperbolic language, lest you fail to ingest the delicious irony about our subject matter and "political correctness".

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-01-2015 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections