Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 02:06 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. One of the first things I learned in high school was what the requirements for a legal binding contract are. One of which is that it be entered into without any duress. Any threat made as to what will happen if not signed is duress and the contract is not enforceable as if it never really existed in the first place. Trump is a master of contracts or he wouldn't be as wealthy as he is. What ever he does it will work out to his advantage. He will gain something even if it's not apparent at this time.
I was one of the first on this forum to support Trump and made the statement I would support him until he bites the head off a live frog in a press conference. This is not a frog or the equivalent. "GO TRUMP"
This is no contract. They don't even call it that. It's a pledge and there is no recourse if someone does not keep it. This was an attempt by the establishment to corner Trump. They figured he would not so pledge and then they could keep him out of the primaries. Now that he has agreed, they have to let him in. If he wins enough of them, he will have enough delegates to raise holy hell at the convention and force planks in the platform that the Republicans do not want to run on (those are not binding either, though). Trump will bring down the party before all is said and done, whether he runs indie or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 02:11 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It is not the STATE of South Carolina requiring the pledge - it is the GOP party in South Carolina.
If they are going to spend time and money on a candidate, and give him a public platform, they need some assurance that the guy isn't some uncommitted interloper jerking them around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post
Hey lady....get a clue. I was his supporter. I'm NOT OK with'at'..IT. Doesn't matter if he honors it. HE SHOULD NOT HAVE SIGNED IT.
it doesnt matter if it was the party or the state requiring trump to sign the pledge, in the end it is an unenforceable contract because it was signed under duress. and trump knows this, so it doesnt matter if he signed it or not, he can still run as a third party candidate. but trump is not going to give up any advantage he needs to win, and if signing the stupid agreement gives him the advantage, then he is going to sign it, again knowing full well that it cannot be enforced.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:12 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
IF he was truly the Great Hope his supporters claim he'd have no problem winning as an (I), as it is he appears to be just another political party hack.
True. If he were to quit and it ended up Jeb! v Trump v Clinton, Trump would think he could win that. That is one of the three ways he might have a chance, be it ever so small. With a conservative R versus Clinton, Trump would split the conservative vote. With Bush, he might get the lion's share of it.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:17 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
I voted 3rd party back in 92 - Ross Perot and that put Bill Clinton in office.

I've learned from my past mistake and glad to see him sign it. If he ran 3rd party that would put another Clinton in power.

The 1st Clinton was bad enough, we don't need another.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:17 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,611 times
Quote:
Hey lady....get a clue. I was his supporter. I'm NOT OK with'at'..IT. Doesn't matter if he honors it. HE SHOULD NOT HAVE SIGNED IT.

There are numerous reasons not to support Trump.
However this has got to be one of the most absurd reasons of all.

Again. What would you have him do? Just accept being left off the ballot in SC? ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Old 09-03-2015, 02:26 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,670,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
There are numerous reasons not to support Trump.
However this has got to be one of the most absurd reasons of all.

Again. What would you have him do? Just accept being left off the ballot in SC? ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Ludicrous. More than likely SC and others would have yielded to Trump, and let him on the ballot.

If not, he would gain even MORE Support from the GrassRoots....Silent Majority....and be a viable Threat to Win on a Independent ticket.

By compromising with the devil (s) he lost respect and Cred....from Ton's of supporters.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:35 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,611 times
Quote:
Ludicrous. More than likely SC and others would have yielded to Trump, and let him on the ballot.

If not, he would gain even MORE Support from the GrassRoots....Silent Majority....and be a viable Threat to Win on a Independent ticket.

By compromising with the devil (s) he lost respect and Cred....from Ton's of supporters.

I seriously doubt your lack of understanding infects TONS of supporters.

It is far more likely that most of them will be just fine with it and realize he didn't have much of a choice.

Running Independent is a VERY LONG SHOT. He'll have a MUCH greater chance running as an (R)

Old 09-03-2015, 02:40 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
I doubt it, this pledge won't make his poll numbers tumble. His supporters don't believe he will honor it - and they are OK with at.
I'm not a supporter, I don't believe he will honor it, and you bet I'm OK with that!

Old 09-03-2015, 04:42 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,670,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
I seriously doubt your lack of understanding infects TONS of supporters.

Running Independent is a VERY LONG SHOT. He'll have a MUCH greater chance running as an (R)

Obviously, ignorance is not lacking in the Above post. Trump is not going to be the candidate of the (R) Corrupt Party. They have Never intended to allow Trump to Win their Nomination. They will create a scandal or whatever, to blackball him. Donald Trump will never be the GOP Nominee, even if he has 90% support.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:05 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
REALLY?? Tell ya what, mr Happy guy. Watch Trump's lead numbers Drop like a 10 ton boulder after his ''pledge agreement'' announcement.
Where does the 10 point go? The rest are midgets. His message hasn’t changed. What do you care if he pledges or doesn’t pledge? He is running in the Republican NOW. You’d be more consistent if you had asked him months ago to exit the Republican primary and run as an independent. Did you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections