Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 06:28 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
And no Republican has an issue with political parties asking candidates to sign loyalty pledges? That on it's face is disturbing enough.
You're choosing to run to represent a party, you play by their rules.

I think loyalty pledges are a good idea to minimize conflict and openings that often doomed third party runs create.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 07:20 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
Are there really Tea Partiers dumb enough to believe Trump's pledge? I'm sure he'll take it just as seriously as his pledge to love, honor and obey until death do they part to Ivana Trump and Marla Maples Trump.

Then there are those that believed Obama, 2 times. Even after all the exposed lies, corruption and cover-up. What does that tell you??

Progressive idiots! When the end justifies the means.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:26 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Then there are those that believed Obama, 2 times. Even after all the exposed lies, corruption and cover-up. What does that tell you??

Progressive idiots! When the end justifies the means.
And of course a conservative predictably tries to change the subject and hijack the thread. You know nothing I said was untrue so you launched an entirely unrelated attack. That is called a red herring logical fallacy and is used by the Trumpbots who wish to dodge their cult leader's character issues.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:34 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
You're choosing to run to represent a party, you play by their rules.

I think loyalty pledges are a good idea to minimize conflict and openings that often doomed third party runs create.
Keep in mind, now that Trump has signed, the other candidates will be under pressure to sign too - pledging publicly to support Trump.

It's all a show anyway, Trump is proving once again how good he is at sucking all the air out of the room.

Haven't you ever known a person who simply *must* be the center of attention? They prefer positive attention, of course - who doesn't - but negative attention is just fine too.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:42 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
He did.
He also sold Chinese made products under his name and now whines about China, it's not like he's exactly consistent with his positions.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:34 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
I don't think the Democrats were fearing Mr. Trump's pledge. They are just happy that Mr. Trump is in the mix. Here is why. They believe that their candidates would do better against Mr. Trump than against the GOP establishment candidates in the general election. This seemed to be a very safe assumption, but with latest improvements in Mr. Trump's favorability rating and head-to-head polling numbers, the Dems will have to reassess the situation. They are also grateful that Mr. Trump is tearing down other candidates, free of charge, and getting tons of publicity in the media.

At the end of the day, Mr. Trump's pledge is irrelevant because (i) even without a pledge, there was no assurance whatsoever that Mr. Trump would mount a third party run (especially because he'd have to spend up to $70 million to do it, which is how much Perot spent), (ii) an independent run could have theoretically split the votes to cause none of the candidates to secure 270 electoral votes, which would have allowed the House to elect a GOP President, and (iii) especially because the pledge is not legally enforceable, Mr. Trump could come up with some excuse about GOP's action or inaction to declare the pledge inapplicable (he has done similar things in the business world many times).

Mick

Old 09-05-2015, 10:35 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Keep in mind, now that Trump has signed, the other candidates will be under pressure to sign too - pledging publicly to support Trump.
Yes, that was a part of the deal for Mr. Trump to sign his pledge. I am sure Reince made calls to make sure no one had issues with signing, before he went over to the Trump Towers.

Mick

Old 09-05-2015, 12:51 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

It's all a show anyway, Trump is proving once again how good he is at sucking all the air out of the room.

Haven't you ever known a person who simply *must* be the center of attention? They prefer positive attention, of course - who doesn't - but negative attention is just fine too.
They all have to sign to appear on some states ballots.

Only Trump made a spectacle of it.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:40 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
And of course a conservative predictably tries to change the subject and hijack the thread. You know nothing I said was untrue so you launched an entirely unrelated attack. That is called a red herring logical fallacy and is used by the Trumpbots who wish to dodge their cult leader's character issues.

There are Progressive idiots in both parties..... Not just the party of Hillary & Obama.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:14 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Looks to me like Trump was strong-armed into signing away his 'trump card' of a third-party run. I'm surprised he went along with it as it makes him look weak.

That said- as long as he makes an ass of himself in the process, it probably won't hurt his standing among his supporters. They want an angry ******* (a reflection of themselves)- what he says or does really isn't THAT important so long as he's an angry *******. I mean, I never thought I'd see the day when an accused rapist who insulted a war hero on nation teevee would be the leading Republican candidate... but here we are.

And this eeeeeeebil Librul is loving it

I hope he gets the nomination. This could be more entertaining than the 2008 election
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections