Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:02 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Regarding Hilliary, I think you're missing out on one dynamic, that of women. There will be a lot of women, even older normally Republican women, who will vote for her just because she has the opportunity to become the first woman president of the USA.
I think you're underestimating the intelligence of most women. None of the women in my family can stand Hillary Clinton, and we're a pretty liberal bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 10:50 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
You're in the Carolinas where you have almost 0% unemployment. Come to my city which is 3rd behind Detroit & Flint, MI with a 20% unemployment rate.
Not even remotely close. oz is in South Carolina, which has an unemployment rate of 6.6%. That is the 3rd highest in the nation behind Michigan and Mississippi.

Current Unemployment Rates for States and Historical Highs/Lows

Old 01-28-2008, 10:56 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Poverty?
I must have blinked and missed the little starving children begging on the street corner...

High unemployment?
Isn't it running at less than 5%?
I was thinking the exact same thing... biggest problem is ?? poverty and unemployment?? If Edwards is saying that, nobody should listen to him...

Old 01-28-2008, 11:11 AM

522 posts, read 963,239 times
Lightbulb If there were any coverage on Edwards ...

Has anyone noticed how the media has done their level best to kill Edwards, saying only that his wife has cancer? ..if they talk about him at all..As if to dismiss him the very same way that they try to dismiss Ron Paul and the way they consistently push things like "color" or "gender" or how Obama and Hillary are fighting Or How McCain and Romney are "duking it out"
Doesn't anybody see what they are doing!!!!

Where are the issues!! ???
They AREN'T talking about them!!
I wonder why!!!!

I don't care if you are black , white or purple with pink polka dots!!!!
I don't care if you are fighting or the color of your tie.
I DO care about this country and what is happening to it , and THEY don't want to talk about THAT!!!

The dollar is at an all time sketchy thin low.
Gold is sky high.
Foreign markets have infiltrated to the point that we need FAIR trade instead of outsourcing everything and importing too much.

We need to get fair trade back..has it occured to anyone why they aren't talking about that!!??That is not to say NO TRADE, FAIR trade.

Ron Paul

Ron Paul 2008 — Hope for America

Old 01-28-2008, 11:15 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen570
The dollar is at an all time sketchy thin low.
Gold is sky high.
Seriously. I wish I had listened to that British woman who has been peddling godl investments on television for years.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:21 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
The chance at history sometimes makes some strange bedfellows.
Now that's a bumpersticker that I can live with.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:41 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
You're in the Carolinas where you have almost 0% unemployment. Come to my city which is 3rd behind Detroit & Flint, MI with a 20% unemployment rate.

Also, Edwards says we have 37 million in this country living in poverty, and that is 37 million too many. Veterans who have served this country are sleeping under bridges. Something has to be done about this.
So when he talks of poverty he isn't talking about large swathes of the country....

Also crazy thought but if it is so bad where you live,you might try moving.

You do realise what being 'poor' means in the USA?
Quote:

The following are facts about persons defined as "poor" by the Census Bureau, taken from various government reports:

Forty-six percent of all poor households actually own their own homes. The average home owned by persons classified as poor by the Census Bureau is a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio.

Seventy-six percent of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, 30 years ago, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.

Only 6 percent of poor households are overcrowded. More than two-thirds have more than two rooms per person.

The average poor American has more living space than the average individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens, and other cities throughout Europe. (These comparisons are to the average citizens in foreign countries, not to those classified as poor.)

Nearly three-quarters of poor households own a car; 30 percent own two or more cars.

Ninety-seven percent of poor households have a color television; over half own two or more color televisions.

Seventy-eight percent have a VCR or DVD player; 62 percent have cable or satellite TV reception.

Seventy-three percent own microwave ovens, more than half have a stereo, and a third have an automatic dishwasher.

As a group, America's poor are far from being chronically undernourished. The average consumption of protein, vitamins, and minerals is virtually the same for poor and middle-class children and, in most cases, is well above recommended norms. Poor children actually consume more meat than do higher-income children and have average protein intakes 100 percent above recommended levels. Most poor children today are, in fact, supernourished and grow up to be, on average, one inch taller and 10 pounds heavier that the GIs who stormed the beaches of Normandy in World War II.
Understanding Poverty in America

Old 01-28-2008, 11:54 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,876 times
Quote:
The two biggest problems facing America today are poverty and high unemployment, but why does no one care?
I don't care because my biggest problems are illegal immigrants and free handouts....also BS tax

Old 01-28-2008, 12:01 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
If we have high unemployment,what are all the illegals doing here working???

According to Edwards,there aren't any jobs.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:20 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
If we have high unemployment,what are all the illegals doing here working???

According to Edwards,there aren't any jobs.
Beaufort has the lowest unemployment rate in SC - something like 2.7%. Places like Lee, Williamsburg, and Clarendon counties are around the double digits.

By the numbers, we are not "losing jobs." While campaigning, Edwards stands up and says, "South Carolina has lost X number of manufacturing jobs due to George Bush's blah blah blah..."

He fails to mention:
1. SC's high unemployment rate is due to a spike in the labor force, not necessarily a reduction in jobs.
2. SC has actually seen an increase in the # of jobs - he only mentioned "manufacturing jobs."
3. The U.S.'s manufacturing GDP and productivity have been going up - in essence, producing more goods with fewer workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections