Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2015, 12:52 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times

Advertisements

A little cold turkey treatment?

Take away everything government gives except national security(which the states really provide)
Turmoil, revolution....

Case in point from my experience:
My dad supported my 58 yo sister for the last 20 years. She was always in trouble and an alcoholic. When he died, she thought I was going to pay her bills.....

Guess what. I said hell no. You need to put on your big girl panties.
She freaked out for a year. She now has a job and is just now 4 years later, going back to classes to raise her pay scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 01:06 PM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

Take away everything government gives except national security(which the states really provide)
Turmoil, revolution....

Case in point from my experience:
My dad supported my 58 yo sister for the last 20 years. She was always in trouble and an alcoholic. When he died, she thought I was going to pay her bills.....

Guess what. I said hell no. You need to put on your big girl panties.
She freaked out for a year. She now has a job and is just now 4 years later, going back to classes to raise her pay scale.
Interesting. Quick question: you say 20 years ago your father began to support your sister, which is about the time that Congress passed a bill stating that if alcoholism or substance abuse was material to a finding of disability, then the person would not be entitled to such benefits.

When the bill passed we got lots of DAA (as we call it) disability cases to review, to see if the person that had been receiving disability was, in fact, receiving payments due to alcoholism. Lots of such people were, and so their benefits were ceased.

Was she of that group?

Not a slam, just interested.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:50 PM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Bentbow, I see that you have been posting in other threads since I posted my question, but with no respond here.

I am not, I assure you, trying to denigrate you or your sister, or setting up a 'gotcha' question.

My question is entirely legitimate: was she on Federal disability, and were her benefits ceased due to her alcoholism? I was involved in many cases where such people lost their disability benefits, and I am curious.

For the interested reader: Sixty Minutes had run a program back in the early 2000s (or maybe 1998 or 1999) about how alcoholics were being found 'disabled' due to their alcoholism. Sixty Minutes showed (as I learned was true) that some recipients actually had their disability checks mailed to their local 'bar'. Outrage occurred, hence the change in law.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:32 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

Take away everything government gives except national security(which the states really provide).
What a wonderful idea. I look forward to all of the seniors turned out of their nursing homes because Medicaid ceases to be; other seniors back to eating cat food because their Social Security is gone, or having to choose between eating and buying their medication because there is no Medicare to help them; children begging for food in the streets because their poverty-stricken parents no longer can feed them; disabled people being left to fend for themselves; people who are sick or become injured left to die because they have no access to healthcare without Medicaid or subsidized healthcare (which would be everybody except the very wealthy, since the government would no longer provide tax breaks to employers so they can offer their workers health insurance); veterans going without treatment, (though apparently there would still be money left to send them to war; they just better hope to God they don't get wounded because the government is not going to take care of them if they do). No more public schools, either, so we'd soon go back to the days when only the wealthy knew how to read and write.

I could go on, but you get the picture. We will tell them, hey, BentBow said you guys needed some tough love. Now quit your whining and get back to work.

Hey, I have another great idea, we could bring back the work houses and debtor's prisons, too. They would be necessary in your dream scenario. They were good enough for poor and the unemployed in 1830s England, they should be good enough for out of work or down on their luck Americans. All those lazy poor people and elderly and disabled can either work for their daily bread or sit in jail and think about how worthless they are because they are poor or had some bad luck. We will probably need to rescind the child labor laws, too, because children would be expected to put in a good long day's work if they expected to eat, right? But it's all good because there won't be any public education anyway, so what else would these kids have to do all day?

I swear, sometimes this place makes me weep for humanity.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:40 PM

587 posts, read 379,622 times
How is this related to elections? Any candidate out there proposing this "little tough love?"

Old 09-18-2015, 12:00 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
I think the Rightwingnuts need some tough love. It's time to tell them enough is enough. We're going to raise wages to an appropriate first-world level. Corporations will no longer get cheap labor subsidized by the American taxpayer. If we cut these freeloaders of cold turkey, they'll figure out they don't have to pay slave wages to manage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections