Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 03:43 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times

Advertisements

There's more to this article than just Trump, it's about voter psychology in general. I asked psychologists to analyze Trump supporters. This is what I learned. - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 03:53 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
my take-
we are very peeved OFF and Trump understands our frustration
He is not status quo - so he is like us-- non politician
he can afford to increase our wealth- because he is friends with BIG money - and will put some deal together for the people
he is anti non American types-- we know the legal immigrants just a few folks at the taco stand we can handle that
he is so open and truthful nobody really knows or talks about it-- HOW he got there.
he shines like GOLD- been watching him for years- hes a good guy and know how to hire and FIRE people he can handle congress
he doesn't ask for money-- thank you Lord!
he said he is a Christian
Trump can do no wrong

Old 10-16-2015, 04:03 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
From the link:

" What Trump is tapping into is the mindset of a zero sum game".

It's a cognitive issue that crosses political ideology.

I live in a solid Republican area and it seems most are a tad embarrassed Trump is running as a Republican. In contrast, many of the straight ticket Democrats I know, including my husband, love Trump even though they don't agree with everything he says.

POTUS has to be the most humbling job in the world.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:07 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
my take-
we are very peeved OFF and Trump understands our frustration
He is not status quo - so he is like us-- non politician
he can afford to increase our wealth- because he is friends with BIG money - and will put some deal together for the people
he is anti non American types-- we know the legal immigrants just a few folks at the taco stand we can handle that
he is so open and truthful nobody really knows or talks about it-- HOW he got there.
he shines like GOLD- been watching him for years- hes a good guy and know how to hire and FIRE people he can handle congress
he doesn't ask for money-- thank you Lord!
he said he is a Christian
Trump can do no wrong
Congress controls the purse strings.

I think most who apply for the job of POTUS think they can handle Congress.

In the end Congress handles the president. There are endless examples when the president's party votes against him. It's humbling.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:11 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
I got to the point where it said 'we like people who say are problems have simple solutions even if they don't' and yeah, that's about right. It's exactly what makes Trump popular. People think that deporting every illegal immigrant will make everything better, which it won't even if his insanely ambitious deportation goals were met.

This is also why people like Bernie Sanders though. However, unlike Trump, Bernie's a bit more blunt and honest about what the problem is. Trump creates scapegoats, but when a scapegoat cannot be made, he essentially avoids the question or just says something insane then jokes about it later. Bernie however is more serious and honest about the issues, and actually offers a solution.

I did say A solution. Not THE solution. The thing I don't get is the conservatives who out right reject Bernie all together. Rather or not you agree with his solutions, he's correct about the problems. I'm willing to say the same is true for Trump, but to much less of an extent. I'm against illegal immigration too, but it's hardly a priority in my mind. But what Trump says is easier to grasp. Another thing to like about Bernie is that he talks about the issues as if you're intelligent. No other candidate does this.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:30 PM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
I'm not a supporter thus far. After his comment about captured soldiers, I lost ALL respect for him. I understand John McCain disobeyed orders. However, if Trump takes issue with that, then he should have mentioned that in specific, not say "I like soldiers who weren't captured".

I will offer my analysis. Trump, in my opinion, is quite boorish and behaves like a petulant person. He even admits to whining until he gets what he wants. If we are to have a president who is going to actually lead this nation, then how can we expect leadership from someone who whines? Furthermore, this is how I see things. Words can sometimes translate to deeds. Anyone who might say boorish and uncalled for things could very well do stupid or even dangerous things.

And this is my analysis of those who support him. He isn't the type who thinks about what he says before he says it. He speaks and worries about the consequences later. Quite myopic if you ask me. It makes me consider that said supporters might be those who feel that the educated or the intellectuals cannot be trusted.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:51 PM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm not a supporter thus far. After his comment about captured soldiers, I lost ALL respect for him. I understand John McCain disobeyed orders. However, if Trump takes issue with that, then he should have mentioned that in specific, not say "I like soldiers who weren't captured".

I will offer my analysis. Trump, in my opinion, is quite boorish and behaves like a petulant person. He even admits to whining until he gets what he wants. If we are to have a president who is going to actually lead this nation, then how can we expect leadership from someone who whines? Furthermore, this is how I see things. Words can sometimes translate to deeds. Anyone who might say boorish and uncalled for things could very well do stupid or even dangerous things.

And this is my analysis of those who support him. He isn't the type who thinks about what he says before he says it. He speaks and worries about the consequences later. Quite myopic if you ask me. It makes me consider that said supporters might be those who feel that the educated or the intellectuals cannot be trusted.
"Trump, in my opinion,"

Try replacing "Trump" in your post with "Obama".

It sounds JUST LIKE O.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:07 PM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Trump, in my opinion,"

It sounds JUST LIKE O.
You have only proven that you disagree. Can you pick apart my argument and show me where I am wrong?

Old 10-16-2015, 07:17 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,249,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Trump, in my opinion,"

It sounds JUST LIKE O.

LOL - I was about to post the same thing, then saw your post!

Either way, not good. I find Trump's rise in the polls fascinating, but there's no way I could vote for the guy.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:19 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Congress controls the purse strings.

I think most who apply for the job of POTUS think they can handle Congress.

In the end Congress handles the president. There are endless examples when the president's party votes against him. It's humbling.

OH I know-- but what I posted is what people think-- NOT me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections