Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 06:55 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
You're joking right, this is money is TERRIBLE for the economy and puts VERY few to work....
Eh, A good friend of mine is in the printing business. Him and his company does great during election season. How much do you think is poured into the economies of the cities that hold the debates and conventions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 09:01 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,969,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Eh, A good friend of mine is in the printing business. Him and his company does great during election season. How much do you think is poured into the economies of the cities that hold the debates and conventions?
That could be done through public funding of elections, so every candidate could run on the popularity of their positions and not based on how much money the are able to beg from the rich.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
That could be done through public funding of elections, so every candidate could run on the popularity of their positions and not based on how much money the are able to beg from the rich.
So welfare? Why should I pay for signs for Clinton or Trump? I wouldn't vote for either so why should I have to pay for their campaigns? You don't think there will be some sort of standard to get this money? Collect 200,000 signatures or something? That's going to take money.

Why do you allow your vote to be bought? When it's obvious the one you voted for isn't doing what he promised, why do you allow your vote to be bought a second time?

What happened to Walker? He had Koch money behind him but he still dropped out because he couldn't afford to pay filing fee's.

It's not money, it's you.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:22 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
Quote:
So welfare? Why should I pay for signs for Clinton or Trump? I wouldn't vote for either so why should I have to pay for their campaigns? You don't think there will be some sort of standard to get this money? Collect 200,000 signatures or something? That's going to take money.

Why do you allow your vote to be bought? When it's obvious the one you voted for isn't doing what he promised, why do you allow your vote to be bought a second time?

What happened to Walker? He had Koch money behind him but he still dropped out because he couldn't afford to pay filing fee's.

It's not money, it's you.
There is such a thing as the common good. We all benefit from not have politics debauched by undue influence by the elite moneyed interests.

Here is the article that was omitted from the first post:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ac-donors.html

Old 10-13-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
There is such a thing as the common good. We all benefit from not have politics debauched by undue influence by the elite moneyed interests.

Why do you allow your vote to be bought?

Old 10-13-2015, 08:09 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
Bernie Sanders will talk about it during the debate. I wonder if Hillary will address it also ...
Every American who cares about this country should seriously think about the issue of money in politics. I don't think it is a Democratic or Republican issue. It is simply an issue of whether we are living in a country where we want: One Person One vote or One Dollar One Vote.
Here is what Bernie Sanders should say in the debate.

"Mrs. Clinton says she is going to oppose the Trans Pacific Trade plan but her past track record in support of NAFTA tells us what she says and does are often opposites. She tells us things like she's going to take those record profits....but what she failed to mention was that she was going to take them as campaign donations."

Old 10-13-2015, 08:14 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Having grown up near Iowa and their all important primaries...and parents that wouldn't spring for cable TV.....I can tell you the horror of seeing every freakin' advertisement being some sort of political ad.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Having grown up near Iowa and their all important primaries...and parents that wouldn't spring for cable TV.....I can tell you the horror of seeing every freakin' advertisement being some sort of political ad.
I don't disagree, it sucks. It dislike it as much as anyone but in any public financed program the politicians are going to get all sorts of free air time and as I said, this advertising dollar while crappy to watch is good for the economy.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:20 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech

Quote:
Why do you allow your vote to be bought?
I think you are deflecting the issue. Money in politics translates to the ability of a candidate to get their message out. If candidate1 overwhelmingly has much more money than candidate2, candidate1 can set the narrative and frame candidate2 in a way that candidate2 cannot defend. Candidate1 can run all kinds of negative ads that candidate2 cannot respond.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I think you are deflecting the issue. Money in politics translates to the ability of a candidate to get their message out.
I'll go back to my earlier point that was ignored. Walker had the Koch brothers behind him but was still the first to drop out.

How does that happen if it's all about the money?

Did Cantor spend 5 times more money than Brat or not?

Quote:
If candidate1 overwhelmingly has much more money than candidate2, candidate1 can set the narrative and frame candidate2 in a way that candidate2 cannot defend. Candidate1 can run all kinds of negative ads that candidate2 cannot respond.
Why do you believe candidate 1 when you know he isn't telling the truth and vote for him anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections