Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 06:20 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,434,359 times

Advertisements

A newly released (5-2) Zogby tracking poll (http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1495 - broken link) shows all that talk about Obama's demise may be premature. Note these polls were taken 4-30 & 5-1 After Obama severed his ties with Rev. Wright.

Obama leads by a 50% to 34% margin over Clinton in North Carolina, while the two are tied at 42% support each in Indiana.

In North Carolina, Obama dominates all age groups with one exception those age 70 and older, where the two are essentially tied.

Democrats NC

Clinton
34%

Obama
50%

Someone else
8%

Undecided
8%

In Indiana, the two Democrats were deadlocked at 42% each, with 16% either favoring someone else or yet undecided.

Democrats - Indiana

Clinton
42%

Obama
42%

Someone else
7%

Undecided
9%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 07:18 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,840,363 times
Hillbilly's ship is sin king fast. I won't declare Obama the winner in both states next Tuesday yet, but this poll hopefully is the start of a trend of polls we'll see up to next Tuesday.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:47 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
A newly released (5-2) Zogby tracking poll (http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1495 - broken link) shows all that talk about Obama's demise may be premature. Note these polls were taken 4-30 & 5-1 After Obama severed his ties with Rev. Wright.

Obama leads by a 50% to 34% margin over Clinton in North Carolina, while the two are tied at 42% support each in Indiana.

In North Carolina, Obama dominates all age groups with one exception those age 70 and older, where the two are essentially tied.

Democrats NC

Clinton
34%

Obama
50%

Someone else
8%

Undecided
8%

In Indiana, the two Democrats were deadlocked at 42% each, with 16% either favoring someone else or yet undecided.

Democrats - Indiana

Clinton
42%

Obama
42%

Someone else
7%

Undecided
9%
I sense some desperation. . . your posting of poll numbers typically has a much fairer, honest presentation of fact. But I'll step up to provide the balance. Averages from realclear:

IN: Clinton +6
NC: Obama +8.4
National: Obama +1.6

Obama's touted 25% win in NC that was going to seal the deal might be difficult to pull off.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:04 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,270,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
I sense some desperation. . . your posting of poll numbers typically has a much fairer, honest presentation of fact. But I'll step up to provide the balance. Averages from realclear:

Obama's touted 25% win in NC that was going to seal the deal might be difficult to pull off.
fact: even if Hillary wins NC and IN, she wont catch up in votes, delegates or states EVEN if u add in MI and FL

Old 05-02-2008, 08:04 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,434,359 times
Quote:

Those are RCP poll averages you cite, something I rarely post due to the differences in the dates the polls (that make up the averages) are taken. With today's 24 hour news cycle and the quick changes, polls with differences in the dates the respondents are polled have a tendency to give a misleading overall average.

I post individual polls almost entirely. Therefore, I have no idea what you are talking about when you claim, "your posting of poll numbers typically has a much fairer, honest presentation of fact." I didn't make up the Zogby numbers.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:36 AM

526 posts, read 1,483,000 times
Default Not so Fast

Clinton has always polled low. I don't know if a lot of undecided wait until the last minute and vote for her or if people don't accurately report their true preference to the pollsters.
In the end, I look for a disappointing result for Obama in North Carolina (single digit win). This should make the super delegates take notice and break for Hillary.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Those are RCP poll averages you cite, something I rarely post due to the differences in the dates the polls (that make up the averages) are taken. With today's 24 hour news cycle and the quick changes, polls with differences in the dates the respondents are polled have a tendency to give a misleading overall average.

I post individual polls almost entirely. Therefore, I have no idea what you are talking about when you claim, "your posting of poll numbers typically has a much fairer, honest presentation of fact." I didn't make up the Zogby numbers.
I've posted individual poll numbers (favorable to my argument to be sure!) and you're quickly trashed them as being "outliers." If you're now blessing their use and not averages it's:

States
IN: Clinton +10.0 (TeleResearch)
NC: Clinton +2.0 (Insider Advantage)

National
Obama/Clinton: Clinton +4.0 (Gallup)
McCain/Obama: McCain by +6.0 (Rasmussan)
McCain/Clinton: Clinton by +9.0 (AP-Ipsos)

That was fun!

Old 05-02-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat007 View Post
fact: even if Hillary wins NC and IN, she wont catch up in votes, delegates or states EVEN if u add in MI and FL
true fact: Hillary is winning in votes cast. Therefore, even if Hillary ties in NC and IN she's still winning in votes cast.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:40 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,270,612 times
Quote:
I've posted individual poll numbers (favorable to my argument to be sure!) and you're quickly trashed them as being "outliers." If you're now blessing their use and not averages it's:

States
IN: Clinton +10.0 (TeleResearch)
NC: Clinton +2.0 (Insider Advantage)

National
Obama/Clinton: Clinton +4.0 (Gallup)
McCain/Obama: McCain by +6.0 (Rasmussan)
McCain/Clinton: Clinton by +9.0 (AP-Ipsos)

That was fun!
there was a NYT poll (who endorsed Hillary) that has obama 48-43, when they wre tie last month

Old 05-02-2008, 08:56 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,583,816 times
Well we know Obama has to win NC but I think if he edged out in Indiana, even by a small margin, we will see a number of superdelegate switching to Obama and it would likely be enough to give him the super delegate lead. He currently leads in pledge delegates and the popular vote so with a super delegate lead, there is NO WAY the nomination will be taken away from Obama. I will say this. In Greensboro, which is North Carolina's third largest city, Obama has received more campaign donations than Hillary has.
Obama should do really well in the NC urban areas and citizens shouldnt have a problem electing a black president. Both Greensboro and Durham currently have black mayors and Charlotte has had a black mayor in the past.

Greensboro, NC population: 245,000 (NC's 3rd largest city)

Here is the race ratio in Greensboro

White 53.6%
Black 37.4%
Hispanic 4.4%
other 6%

main industry:textiles/insurance/manufacturing/distribution
-----------------------------
Obama should do real well in Durham

Durham, NC population 209,000 (NC's 5th largest city)

race ratio in Durham

Black 43%
White 42%
Hispanic 8%
other 5%
main industry: research/technology/tobacco

-----------------------
Winston-Salem, NC population: 223,000 (NC's 4th largest city)

race ratio

White 52%
Black 37%
Hispanic 8%
other 6%

main industry: tobacco,manufacturing,research
-----------------------
Raleigh, NC population: 356,000 (NC's 2nd largest city)

race ratio

White 60%
Black 27%
Hispanic 7%
other 9%

main industry: research/technology/governement
-----------------------
Charlotte, NC population: 640,000 (NC's largest city)

race ratio

White 55%
Black 32%
Hispanic 7%
other 8%

main industry: banking & finance

Last edited by gsoboi; 05-02-2008 at 09:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections