Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 05:51 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,088 times

Advertisements

Years ago when Hilary Clinton was running for U.S. senator for the state of New York all we heard from her was she was coming to rescue upstate New York. She was going to bring new industries and jobs to the region. What happened? New York cities are loosing even more people because a great number of jobs are being relocated out side the state. Why did people vote her in a second time? New she wants to run for president? She is ineffectual as a senator, someone tell me why she would be good president? She does not have my vote. All talk and all blind self ambition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 06:33 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
People in NY state are morons. She was elected the first time and did absolutely nothing to help NY state. For some reason that is beyond me, she was elected a second term and has not done anything for the state. Where are those 200,000 jobs she promised?
When she was elected for her first term I told everybody that she was just using this as a stepping stone to get to the white house.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:05 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
The Clintons used NY.

NY provided Hillary an incubation period. It kept her in the public spotlight, kept her fundraising machine going. I suspect most NY'ers knew that and made their peace with the idea. They knew she wouldn't be around two terms.

But I also think anyone who voted for her expected her to be somewhat more effective as a senator for NY. Hillary said what she had to say to get the vote...then concentrated all her energies on Washington DC. When the natives got restless, Bill would come along and soothe everything over. But what did she accomplish for NY?

Old 07-18-2007, 08:49 PM

31 posts, read 296,933 times
Before we moved here (upstate NY) I asked friends that were already here what Hilary had accomplished so far for the area (Fort Drum). The response was the same all around.... "NOTHING". I was not surprised.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:01 PM

417 posts, read 1,891,494 times
All undoubtedly true vis a vis Hillary Clinton, but the same can pretty much be said for her predecessors.....
When was the last time someone you voted for actually DID something that positively impacted your life? I guess I could say that Bloomberg instituting the smoking ban positively impacted mine (I don't have to automatically wash my clothes if I have a drink in a NYC bar now!)..... But then again, I can't remember if I voted for him or not.....

Old 07-18-2007, 09:36 PM

3,513 posts, read 9,427,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Years ago when Hilary Clinton was running for U.S. senator for the state of New York all we heard from her was she was coming to rescue upstate New York. She was going to bring new industries and jobs to the region. What happened? New York cities are loosing even more people because a great number of jobs are being relocated out side the state. Why did people vote her in a second time? New she wants to run for president? She is ineffectual as a senator, someone tell me why she would be good president? She does not have my vote. All talk and all blind self ambition.
Precisely.

What has she done? Nothing for the Syracuse area. That I do know. As far as bills she has proposed to help the Upstate NY economy? All the bills and proposals have to do with either farming or rural living. Nothing against rural areas, but saving farms will not rescue the Syracuse economy. I know no one who says that they will move back to the Syracuse area as soon as it has more farm jobs. Another Hillary idea....increasing broadband in rural areas. That will not help Metropolitan Syracuse either. The Syracuse urbanized area already has good broadband service.

Charles Schumer at least lured Jetblue to fly in/out of Syracuse. Hillary Clinton promised jobs, yet hasn't delivered.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 07-19-2007 at 01:16 PM..

Old 07-18-2007, 09:43 PM

172 posts, read 846,987 times
Yeah, we all have come to terms with the fact that our state was a figurative stepping-stone on Mrs. Clinton's path to the oval office. Too bad she was utterly ineffective as a senator. I know that if she's the democratic candidate in 2008, but if the candidate is her, I'll be giving my vote to someone else.

So, who's up for Bloomberg? He seems to have been more down in NYC than Hillary's done for the state.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:09 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarian View Post
So, who's up for Bloomberg? He seems to have been more down in NYC than Hillary's done for the state.
I like Bloomberg. He's a tad too nanny-state for my liking, but he's been a very effective mayor in a very big city. He was a perfect, soothing follow-up after 9-11. But I think he's a regional phenomenon that is not going to translate well to the rest of the country.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:20 AM

134 posts, read 519,620 times
Mrs. Clinton is a very good politician.... she is also very good at being all things to all audiences. Mr. Schummer is also a very good politician.... he "gets" Jet Blue to serve Syracuse... He plays ball within his party and continually attacks the other side of the aisle because that's his job. These two are not much different than any others in our nation.

Personally, I want my elected reps to be quiet and not get in my way. The politics of personal destruction and making more laws modifying my behavior do not fit my idea of freedom. What is laughable is how these people criticize the administration for not doing enough, then promise they would do it better, all while everyone is so willing to increase the size of the ineffective bloated bureaucracy that is government. I guess it's true, the only reason certain forms of government haven't worked before is because the right people haven't run it.

If anyone in this state actually believed that Mrs. Clinton would "do" much for us, as she wasn't even from this state to begin with and obviously was planning her run to the White House.... wanna buy a bridge?

Old 07-19-2007, 11:14 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Dave View Post
Mrs. Clinton is a very good politician.... she is also very good at being all things to all audiences. Mr. Schummer is also a very good politician.... he "gets" Jet Blue to serve Syracuse... He plays ball within his party and continually attacks the other side of the aisle because that's his job. These two are not much different than any others in our nation.

Personally, I want my elected reps to be quiet and not get in my way. The politics of personal destruction and making more laws modifying my behavior do not fit my idea of freedom. What is laughable is how these people criticize the administration for not doing enough, then promise they would do it better, all while everyone is so willing to increase the size of the ineffective bloated bureaucracy that is government. I guess it's true, the only reason certain forms of government haven't worked before is because the right people haven't run it.

If anyone in this state actually believed that Mrs. Clinton would "do" much for us, as she wasn't even from this state to begin with and obviously was planning her run to the White House.... wanna buy a bridge?

Ok there is some thing I don't understand here. You don't want your elected politicians to get in your way and hope they stay silent? I get a little worried with any politician when they are being too quiet. You have to wonder what they are up to! Why did people elect her if she was not going to do any thing? I voted against her because I knew in advance. The problem with this nation is that we choose our elected officials like pop stars. They look good on TV, well not Hilary anyway, and carry themselves like Charlemagne. Underneath the phony image lurk the self ambitions of selfish person. Can one person tell me why she would be a good president? She made a promise and gave us her word! Let every one know that Hilary Clinton’s word is worthless her smile is meant to fool us. Snatch back your minds zombies! Snatch them back and hold them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections