Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 07:41 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times

Advertisements

I haven't heard a peep from the Tea Party this election cycle. Few years ago we couldn't hear enough of them. There are also tea party chapters all over the country. Haven't they come down on the side of anybody yet? Interestingly, Trump never mentions them either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 07:51 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,528,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I haven't heard a peep from the Tea Party this election cycle. Few years ago we couldn't hear enough of them. There are also tea party chapters all over the country. Haven't they come down on the side of anybody yet? Interestingly, Trump never mentions them either.
Just FYI, the "Tea Party" is not a political party, it is a protest movement. The first few years they held rallies all over the country, as I am sure you recall. By the end of that period, they had moved their operations online, focusing on raising money and putting pressure on Republican politicians to adopt their views.

The "Tea Party" protest movement has been somewhat successful, moving Republican candidates to the right on a number of issues. Also, they have unseated a number of Republican candidates in the Senate and the House, not to mention state offices, where candidates that share their views are now dominant in many states.

However, with Obama sitting in the White House, there is only so much they can do. Until there is a Republican president, most of the progress is likely to continue to be seen at the state level. That being said, expect quite a few primary challenges of Republican Congressmen over the next 6+ months. Some of these folks are going to be sent home for their treachery regarding their votes supporting the recent federal funding bill.

As far as Presidential candidates, once again, the "Tea Party" is a decentralized protest movement, so their really is not a central "Tea Party" endorsement to be had. That being said, I expect the lion's share of Tea Party supporters will be voting for Ted Cruz this time around.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:55 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,981,910 times
Quote:
Trump has acknowledged he aligns with the Tea Party: http://conservativetribune.com/trump-tea-party-reply/

It's not something they all have to announce all the time. Cruz is Tea Party, and Paul is. If you asked Fiorina, and Carson, they'd likely identify with Tea.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Trump has acknowledged he's Tea Party. It's not something they all have to announce all the time.

Cruz is Tea Party, Paul is. If you asked Fiorina, and Carson, they'd likely identify as Tea. It's an alignment.
Trump may have announced that he is "Tea Party," as he would love to have some of these people's support, but he has precisely zero credible associations with the Tea Party to back that claim up.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:21 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,981,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Trump may have announced that he is "Tea Party," as he would love to have some of these people's support, but he has precisely zero credible associations with the Tea Party to back that claim up.
How so? I hear someone who's spoken his mind on trade, on immigration, on spending, on foreign intervention, on markets, on the Bill of Rights, in ways that would make his candidacy appealing to the Tea Party voter.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:27 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Hope in hot water - but they simply should be named the obstructionists. May not believe it,but people suffered because of their stance .

Old 01-04-2016, 08:34 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Cruz and Paul mention it often enough.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:36 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
How so? I hear someone who's spoken his mind on trade, on immigration, on spending, on foreign intervention, on markets, on the Bill of Rights, in ways that would make his candidacy appealing to the Tea Party voter.
Unappealing you mean.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Is there an actual Tea Party group that Trump has publicly associated with?

If so, do you have any support to back that claim up?

Old 01-04-2016, 09:40 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Is there an actual Tea Party group that Trump has publicly associated with?

If so, do you have any support to back that claim up?
Trump has a habit of repeating a line a 1000 time i the knows it works. If the tea party was big on his radar we would hear it. He has a good sense of where the public is. Tea party may still be around but it is not what moves voters in 2016. There are Tea Patriots chapters all over. They don't seem to be vocal this time around. I sense that they don't like Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections