Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 04:59 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You may indeed. And that speaks, even more so, as to why the endorsement for Trump was so important. I don't think many really have an appreciation for it.
Oh, I do. She hitched her wagon to the brightest STAR and is now going about the process of requesting money for it.

Pretty dumb move on Trump's part. This tells me he's really not all that smart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 05:03 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

Pretty dumb move on Trump's part. This tells me he's really not all that smart.
Really? Trump is up 11 points now in Iowa over Cruz.

You only prove my point.

Maybe you should go focus on the candidate that you won't admit to supporting. I'm guessing they are going down, unlike Trump.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:07 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:

You only prove my point.

Maybe you should go focus on the candidate that you won't admit to supporting. I'm guessing they are going down, unlike Trump.
Any association with Palin in the General election will not win him Independents or cross-overs. I think my candidate will do just fine and thank the lord no one has a sponsor like Palin or Beck.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:11 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
Quote:

You only prove my point.

Based on a sample of 266. LOL.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Any association with Palin in the General election will not win him Independents or cross-overs. I think my candidate will do just fine and thank the lord no one has a sponsor like Palin or Beck.
I have to agree, Trump and Cruz just ruined ANY chance of them winning the White House period.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:40 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,118,859 times
You mean the same Bob Dole who said last month:

Quote:
But meanwhile, said Dole, "it's hard to explain 'The Donald.' I mean, he says all of these things but he never backs it up as policy. 'I'll take care of Russia, I'll take care of Mexico, if we're going to build a wall, they're going to pay for it.' I know the Mexicans have been insulted."

Trump also insults Arizona Sen. John McCain and every other candidate, said Dole, and "somehow people, I don't know whether they like it or not, and I'm not certain that they're voters that are voting in the polls, whether they'll show up at the Iowa caucuses on a cold February night."

But, said Dole, someone is needed that can unite Republicans, not "divide the party into some extreme group on the right."

And with the state the party is in today, Dole said he's not certain Ronald Reagan could be nominated in today's climate.

As for Trump getting the nomination, "I didn't think so a couple of months ago but his numbers are staying fairly steady. I think if he wants to be president, wants to be the nominee, he needs to tone down his rhetoric, then he needs to get into the issues and explain what he's going to do for the economy. It's one thing to say I'm going to do this and I'm going to do this, but there is a congress, you know, and you have to work with Congress."
Bob Dole Slams Trump, Cruz as Being 'Extreme'

Old 01-22-2016, 06:38 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I have to agree, Trump and Cruz just ruined ANY chance of them winning the White House period.
Sad situation. Skeptical about Clinton in the WH. I already can imagine the negativity coming from the right.......Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh included.......day to day negativity. Saw it happen 92-2000.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:52 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
Quote:

You only prove my point.

That's winning the battle only to lose the war. It's a very narrow group of people that look to Sarah Palin as anything other than a shrill, word salad spewing, opportunist.

Anyway, Dole is right. Trump is a loudmouth hothead and will probably be a disaster when it comes to foreign policy. But he seems kind-of moderate on some domestic issues and realizes that he'd eventually have to work with others. Cruz on the other hand is a religious extremist who has never played well with others and by all accounts will say and do whatever to further his agenda. Sociopathic is the word that comes to mind.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:23 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Those people are not interested in window dressing, they are interested in power and control. And as far as not compromising, outside of immigration and trade, Trump does not have much of an agenda to compromise on. His policy positions are extremely thin, to the point that he is going to need someone to help him fill in the "gaps".

Of course the establishment Republicans would be very pleased to take the lead on all of that. They get to set the vast majority of the terms, and Trump gets to sign them into law and then hold press conferences, which is what he likes to do. Then Trump can tout what a great "dealmaker" he is. If he gets to sign it, then he gets to claim credit for it as an achievement of his. So if the Washington establishment crony capitalism agenda is what you like, then you would surely spend the entirety of a Trump presidency in a state of unbridled elation.

To provide one example, Trump came out yesterday pushing for an actual increase in the corn ethanol mandate in Iowa. It was an act of naked pandering. It was an act of selfish, unprincipled populism. And it was an act supporting crony capitalism and even more corporate welfare. Meanwhile, even though it can only hurt him in Iowa, Ted Cruz stood his ground and continued to oppose this horrible misuse of our food crops, which resulted in the opprobrium of Iowa Governor Terry Branstadt.

And just like Barack Obama, it is a worthwhile exercise to count the number of times that Donald Trump refers to himself in his speeches. Trump is just as much of a narcissist as Barack Obama ever was, and maybe even more.
I don't think an entrepreneur spends a lot of time telling people HOW they are going to do something. You look at what they've done and the expectation is they have the ability to do it again. That's why he laughed when people wanted to know how he would build a wall. That's what he does. He builds things. Do you think someone like Ted Cruz has a clue about how to accomplish that?

He makes deals all the time. You don't need to know how he does it. You just need to know that negotiating is high in his skill set. Do you think someone like Ted Cruz does much negotiating? With people overseas?

How about turning around the VA? He's had thousands of people working for him. Doing things effectively and efficiently is how he makes money. Do you think Ted Cruz has much experience overseeing a large organization? Would he even know if appointees or executive bureaucrats were shining him on?

Ted Cruz has NOT held his ground on ethanol. After the governor told people not to vote for Ted Cruz, Cruz abandoned his phase out position and decided to say he'd just let the mandate expire in 2022. Of course, should Cruz become President and run for re-election, 2022 is beyond when he'd have to deal with Iowa anger over it.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:44 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't think an entrepreneur spends a lot of time telling people HOW they are going to do something. You look at what they've done and the expectation is they have the ability to do it again. That's why he laughed when people wanted to know how he would build a wall. That's what he does. He builds things. Do you think someone like Ted Cruz has a clue about how to accomplish that?

He makes deals all the time. You don't need to know how he does it. You just need to know that negotiating is high in his skill set. Do you think someone like Ted Cruz does much negotiating? With people overseas?

How about turning around the VA? He's had thousands of people working for him. Doing things effectively and efficiently is how he makes money? Do you think Ted Cruz has much experience overseeing a large organization? Would he even know if appointees or executive bureaucrats were shining him on?

Ted Cruz has NOT held his ground on ethanol. After the governor told people not to vote for Ted Cruz, Cruz abandoned his phase out position and decided to say he'd just let the mandate expire in 2022. Of course, should Cruz become President and run for re-election, 2022 is beyond when he'd have to deal with Iowa anger over it.
You sound like an Obama supporter, except you support Trump instead of Obama. Just change the names.

In both cases, the support for these two is similar. It appears to be a personality cult. Their supporters do not appear to care very much at all what they do or how they do it. It is the person they support and worship. This has been an appalling time for our country under Obama for this reason and it would be equally appalling if Donald Trump were to continue his pattern and practice of narcissistic and often tyrannical and lawless governance. And like Obama, supported by a personality cult of followers who will support him literally no matter what.

I have said I would likely vote for Donald Trump in a general election if he were to win the Republican nomination, even though I am not a fan. I have to caveat that now. If it looks like Trump's election is going to herald more of this kind of governance, I am going to have to sit this one out. I cannot countenance or endorse this kind of rule. It is literally ruining our country. It has been under Obama and it would do so no less under Donald Trump.

As far as Cruz's position on the ethanol mandate, he has for years been advocating a 5-year phase-out plan, as I suspect you know very well. If he was elected and that was passed in 2017, it would be phased out over five years, just as he has recommended all along. 2017 + 5 = 2022, just in case you did not that already know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections