Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 09:52 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
For whatever reason, the media totally ignores her. She could give 300 speeches and you'd never hear about it, while every speech that Trump makes is commented on.

I remember the old days when the people chose the candidates, and not the media.
I'm not at all a fan of Fiorina's (she is simply not for me) but I agree totally with your assessment of the media. And I mean all of the media--not just the mainstream.

They have lost their collective minds. They are acting infatuated with certain candidates, down on certain candidates and indifferent to certain candidates.

Any objectivity or sense of objectivity is totally gone. The bromances and crushes are revolting among 'serious political commentators' and any claims of objectivity have been stripped away. I blame cable tv. Once upon a time the networks were objective, but since those on the 24 hour networks have hit the airwaves, it has become a free-for-all.

I have to fast forward through so much gushing, that I simply cannot stand listening to, my DVR is feeling abused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 12:16 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Sales person /marketer--- but does not know her product.
This is true concerning her tenure at HP too. Carly is a very smart woman, and she does have the ability to sell herself. She may even have ability as a leader.

Those abilities are what put her into the top management of one of America's topmost technological companies.
Not knowing her product was what led her into the the terrible decisions she made once she was at the top.

It wasn't like she didn't have some very good people at hand to advise her after she reached the top; HP's highest managers were all very experienced in their areas, and HP's products and sales strategies were as good as it gets in a sophisticated and competitive market. To a person, they all advised her not to mess around with Compaq, a company that was nowhere as solid in its management or in its products.

It certainly did not have HP's reputation nor its longevity. Your comment is the most succinct and accurate of all; Carly didn't know her product. She stuck with a wrong decision made early on, refused to listen to the people who had the most invested in HP's success, fought for her bad decision with HP's Board of Directors, and got her way through force of will.

And brought HP to its knees doing it. Laid of 30,000 American workers doing it, scrambled their computer division marketing, kicked employee morale in the guts, turned a very clear corporate focus into total disarray, and saddled all the HP dealers with a line of computers they did not want to stock or sell.

Fiorina just doesn't have the right stuff in her to be a wise President. As she once did in the corporate world, when she rose to the top too quickly, before she was fully prepared for an entirely different and more difficult level of responsibility, instead of seeking a position in government that she can handle, she's going for the Big One.

Her ego is huge beyond imagination, and she thinks she knows it all, but she doesn't know the territory. Any sales person's greatest failure is not knowing the territory.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:25 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Her ego is huge beyond imagination, and she thinks she knows it all, but she doesn't know the territory.
To be fair, other than everyone who ever worked for or invested in HP and everyone who ever casually followed or reported on or blogged about her career or HP or just business stuff in general, who knew?

Old 02-07-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
To be fair, other than everyone who ever worked for or invested in HP and everyone who ever casually followed or reported on or blogged about her career or HP or just business stuff in general, who knew?
Every store that sold HP products knew. That meant everyone who was looking at any thing HP made knew, too. It was on the national news as well and was covered internationally as much. It was a long, dragged-out affair.

It's been 11 years now, but people haven't forgotten about her any more than they've forgotten about the last days of Bill Clinton's presidency. Losing 30,000 jobs in a week's time makes the events very memorable to all of those workers and the cities they live in.

Carly kept it all very public as well, when she ran for Senator in California in 2010, only 5 years after she was ousted. if you didn't know about all this, you weren't paying any attention. Lots of people don't, but just as many do.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:29 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
this is important --as Carly doesn't know her product- do we know our candidates?

Old 02-08-2016, 05:38 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
As a Viet Nam era vet I believe in Carly's world military strategies not seen in any of the candidates of either party. She is a born leader and an astonishingly intelligent person. I originally felt she may make a great VP ,but that turned out to be a poor choice as she personifies the ingredients to be not only President, but potentially the best commander in chief. Additionally, she represents a christian with a sincere belief in Jesus Christ a quality essential in such a position. Admittedly Hillary has has lnks or has networked with world leaders, but is no match for Carly who I view as the best overall candidate with Ben Carson or Rubio as VP. Bernie Sanders would also make a great "advisory" VP.
In Nov, I am sure you could write any one of your "favorites" in.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
this is important --as Carly doesn't know her product- do we know our candidates?
That's a very good question!

I think this question may be why our selection process is so long and complicated here in the U.S.

It makes candidates jump through many hoops for a long, putting them to a kind of test to discern how smart they are, how tenacious they are, how well they endure fatigue, frustration, and other effects on the body, and how well they handle triumph and defeat.

Not all of us pay the same attention to the stuff, and not all of us are cooly objective about any candidate. Very few of us have that objectivity. We all want differing things from the candidates, as someone will end up representing all of us for a fairly long time.

Some people are naturally very open in the way they lead their lives, and others are not at all. Personality does count; it's an important position, often the most important in the world. Few folks are suited for it, and very few even want the job.

They are all adults, and every adult who is 40 or over has some regrets, mistakes, and bad outcomes in their life. So our process can also uncover those things too, and discovery leads us to add them into our thoughts of them. What's interesting to me is our candidates may have many friends, but once one becomes president, typically there is only a very small circle of friends our presidents rely on.

Those friends always stay out of the public eye and keep their mouths shut, just as close friends do. They're the only ones, I think, who really know any president. The presidency changes every single person who gets the job. They all become different once in office. It's the job that does it.

We judge them all as we will. Everyone has a different set of priorities when it comes to judging another person, but the winner always reflects the mood and temperament of the voters at the moment. As the voters shift around, so do our candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections