Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 09:54 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,910,217 times

Advertisements

The only talking point which people lately were throwing at the wall to see what sticks for Hillary was she's ""electable"".

Well, if she cannot even muster anything from her own party's base, how in <deity's> name is she going to stand up to Trump? Whoever is voting for Sanders is certainly not going to hold their nose and vote for Hillary if the chance she ran against Trump. Period. Hillary and the Democrat party will be destroyed in the general election.

At least Sanders vs Trump will give the American people a clear cut choice on what direction we want to go in. People may be surprised in how many swing voters will vote for Sanders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 10:00 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
The only talking point which people lately were throwing at the wall to see what sticks for Hillary was she's ""electable"".

Well, if she cannot even muster anything from her own party's base, how in <deity's> name is she going to stand up to Trump? Whoever is voting for Sanders is certainly not going to hold their nose and vote for Hillary if the chance she ran against Trump. Period. Hillary and the Democrat party will be destroyed in the general election.

At least Sanders vs Trump will give the American people a clear cut choice on what direction we want to go in. People may be surprised in how many swing voters will vote for Sanders.
Or not vote at all.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:04 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:

Hmmm.......I think it will be more like a rude awakening for Bernie's supporters

Old 02-09-2016, 10:09 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Hmmm.......I think it will be more like a rude awakening for Bernie's supporters
It will certainly be interesting. I wonder how many wealthy Dems will cross party lines to vote for Trump? And how many Republicans will hold their nose and vote for Trump? I have a feeling that instead of staying home, they will definitely want to make sure Bernie doesn't win. Then again, there will be a lot of people on the Republican side who would vote for Sanders over Trump just because they can't stand Trump. It would be fun to watch.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:24 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It will certainly be interesting. I wonder how many wealthy Dems will cross party lines to vote for Trump? And how many Republicans will hold their nose and vote for Trump? I have a feeling that instead of staying home, they will definitely want to make sure Bernie doesn't win. Then again, there will be a lot of people on the Republican side who would vote for Sanders over Trump just because they can't stand Trump. It would be fun to watch.
Dont forget how many non-traditional and disillusioned voters who would vote Bernie if Trump doesnt get the nomination. The cross-over appeal is very, very real and party loyalty is nowhere near as big as people believe, as Trump clearly shows and Bernie to a large degree as well. Lots of people are torn between Trump and Bernie because they speak directly to the working class with no donor money or special interest in between. Like it or not, that is the case many feel.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:30 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what on gods earth would make you think Republicans would swing and vote against the free market system, against capitalism, for more government, 15T in new spending not paid for etc..

I vote Republican for a reason..

Old 02-09-2016, 10:57 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm not sure what on gods earth would make you think Republicans would swing and vote against the free market system, against capitalism, for more government, 15T in new spending not paid for etc..

I vote Republican for a reason..
Its a choice between crony capitalism and free enterprise with a social safety net. Trump's cuts in essential programs will put hundreds of thousands of disabled, elderly and mentally ill out on the streets. The American people are social democrats at heart according to all polls I've seen. There is a reason FDR and Truman were so immensely popular.

FDR was so popular they had to institute term limits after he won for the fourth time.

Listen to FDRs speech to the people here in 1936, and its just like listening to Sanders today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjSTQwamo8M

Old 02-09-2016, 11:04 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,680,255 times
Putting aside her flaws, the thing is Hillary Clinton's views are very moderately democratic, middle of the road. She is more like her husband, a democrat from the 1990's, whereas the party is moving more to the left. More democrats want to be more liberal than Obama, hence Sanders. Clinton is not equal to Obama, in fact she is to the right of Obama.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:13 AM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Putting aside her flaws, the thing is Hillary Clinton's views are very moderately democratic, middle of the road. She is more like her husband, a democrat from the 1990's, whereas the party is moving more to the left. More democrats want to be more liberal than Obama, hence Sanders. Clinton is not equal to Obama, in fact she is to the right of Obama.
And would have been a far better president had she won in '08.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:20 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Dont forget how many non-traditional and disillusioned voters who would vote Bernie if Trump doesnt get the nomination. The cross-over appeal is very, very real and party loyalty is nowhere near as big as people believe, as Trump clearly shows and Bernie to a large degree as well. Lots of people are torn between Trump and Bernie because they speak directly to the working class with no donor money or special interest in between. Like it or not, that is the case many feel.
I think you're right. If the GOP engineers an obvious putsch against Trump, IMO his voters will swing to Bernie. Not Hillary though...then they'll stay home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections