Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 07:19 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times

Advertisements

Trump and Cruz HAVE to slam each other: they're in a contest.

But I don't pay any attention to that, or any of the rest of the noise and obfuscation. The facts are clear: either would be a good choice, in all likelihood. They both have pluses and minuses. (None of the other GOP candidates rate even a second look).
So I am content to sit back and see which of the two comes out on top, and will be the one I will write checks for, and then pull the lever for in November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 10:10 AM

Question: when was the last time the GOP had TWO fairly solid anti-Establishment candidates running (I mean, who had a chance of being nominated)? I can't remember.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:14 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
What I wouldn't give to see either of them on the ballot in November.

Democrats would win in a landslide with either Sanders or that criminal Hillary.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:32 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
What I wouldn't give to see either of them on the ballot in November.

Democrats would win in a landslide with either Sanders or that criminal Hillary.

I don't get why so many people on the left seem to think that is a convincing argument. Many conservative voters don't see a dime's worth of difference between the establishment candidates from the right or the left. You're not going to get those people to vote for "Hillary in a suit with an R next to his name" simply by saying that doing otherwise will guarantee a win by Hillary. I don't care if Rubio has a better chance of beating Hillary than Trump does(according to conventional wisdom). I don't want to see either one of them as president, so why would the notion of either one of them winning convince me not to vote for an alternative?

It also kind of reeks of desperation, as if you've given up on trying to make an argument against a candidate and all you have left is trying to scare people into voting against them by dangling a boogey man in front of their faces. We've had too much of that over the last couple of decades and it's led us to some truly horrible "leaders".

It's a lazy, illogical and frankly unintelligent argument to make, yet you see so many people making it.

You also say Hillary in a criminal and then indicate you are almost rabidly eager to see a situation that would give her a landslide. That does not compute, unless you are simply trolling. Ah crap, you are trolling and I just fell for it.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:23 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post

But I don't pay any attention to that, or any of the rest of the noise and obfuscation. The facts are clear: either would be a good choice, in all likelihood. They both have pluses and minuses. (None of the other GOP candidates rate even a second look).
So I am content to sit back and see which of the two comes out on top, and will be the one I will write checks for, and then pull the lever for in November.
Actually, it looks to me that both are bad choices because neither is a good candidate for the general election. Trump might appeal to some Democrats and Independents but he'll lose so many more Democrats, Independents, and Republicans that he's unlikely to win.

Cruz is even a worse choice. Holy rollers don't appeal to anybody but evangelicals. Moreover, he's not likely to get a lot of help from his own party as most in Washington hate him. He's not going to pick up any Democratic votes, and likely no Independents, and Trump will run as a third party candidate in just enough states that he'll insure whoever the Democratic candidate is will win.

These two seem like a lose-lose situation for the Pubbies.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:24 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,969,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post

Probably a lot of conservatives see it this way. Both candidates appeal to them with their angry rhetoric and nationalistic agenda.

I still think Trump has more chances of winning than Cruz but he would still need a miracle to win the national election.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:31 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Actually, it looks to me that both are bad choices because neither is a good candidate for the general election. Trump might appeal to some Democrats and Independents but he'll lose so many more Democrats, Independents, and Republicans that he's unlikely to win.

Cruz is even a worse choice. Holy rollers don't appeal to anybody but evangelicals. Moreover, he's not likely to get a lot of help from his own party as most in Washington hate him. He's not going to pick up any Democratic votes, and likely no Independents, and Trump will run as a third party candidate in just enough states that he'll insure whoever the Democratic candidate is will win.

These two seem like a lose-lose situation for the Pubbies.
I get the appeal of Trump , but I really don't get the appeal of Cruz. He's been caught in so many lies it's not even funny.
What is his appeal that nobody he works with likes him so he's an "outsider"?
What does his religion or pretending to be religious really mean if he's clearly not ethical.
He even got called out for lying by a moderator during a debate!
Are there really that many people out there that can't see through this guy?

Ted Cruz caught blatantly lying about Obama to push conservative ‘war on cops’ narrative

Fox News is getting really good at spotting Ted Cruz’s lies.

Ted Cruz is still lying about his immigration record.

This is a great example of the deceptive BS that Cruz is doing. Personally I hate that type of deceptive junk mail...but Cruz loves sending out this garbage.
Ted Cruz Caught Sending Fake Government Checks to Voters in Texas | Alternet

Old 02-17-2016, 12:30 PM

I was hoping more Republicans would respond. Rather than just moonbats ranting about how "this that or the other thing". Blah blah blah blah.

I WAS a moonbat at one time; got what you're trying to say; recognize it now as meaningless; thanks alot but there are 200 other active CD threads to troll about how Dems are BOUND to win, maybe go play around on one of those?
Thanks.

jm, I agree that both Cruz and Trump have different pros and cons. I agree that one of Cruz' cons is the sleazy turn his campaign has taken at times. The overly-religious thing is another (and I am a diehard Christian).
But he IS disliked by almost every other GOP Congresscritter. If that's not anti-Establishment I don't know what it. He is pretty conservative on most issues.
I do NOT agree with the line that he is like Rubio on immigration. Jeff Sessions himself put that lie to rest.

Trump has some cons too.

But overall, two good options.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:46 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Cruz would not be a good choice.
  • Religious Fundamentalist
  • I prefer for the President of the USA to be born and raised in the USA.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:50 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
On the contrary, those are clearly the two WORST choices in either party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections