Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of one of Trumps plans for Mexico to pay for the wall
YES 46 62.16%
NO 28 37.84%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 11:15 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
If the wall is beefed up, it will prevent jaguars, Mexican wolves, etc. from migrating.
How about coyotes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 11:18 AM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Obviously, we need to import millions of Mexicans to build the wall...problem solved.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
We get this story every 4 years or anytime immigration heats up. It is over, nothing to worry. More are going back. Which begs the question why would self deportation not work? Looks like that is what is happening.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:28 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Not only that, what about the fact that much of the land along the Mexican border is privately owned property (who's owners will undoubtedly demand compensation), Indian reservations (some of whom won't even allow Border Patrol agents on tribal land unless the tribal police request their presence - they certainly wont allow a wall), or FWS nature reserves/NPS parks (environmental concerns).
This article sums up all of those issues very well:

"The U.S.–Mexico border was once a co-dependent region with communities on both sides profiting from a daily exchange of goods and services, a hybrid culture with its own food, music, and commerce, where members of the same family lived on both sides, and businesses relied on an international clientele.
Nogales, Arizona, for example, depended on Mexican consumers for 70 percent of its sales-tax revenue.
Not only has the fence changed all that, it has cut people off from their own property. In South Texas, where the winding Rio Grande traces the border with Mexico, the fence had to be built on higher, dryer ground. Erected inside U.S. territory, it has separated some American farmers from their fields. John McClung, president of the Texas Produce Association, estimates that 35,000 to 50,000 acres planted with onions, cabbage, leafy green vegetables, and citrus are being trapped between the fence and the river."

The Border Effect

Old 02-26-2016, 11:33 AM

988 posts, read 683,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Nogales, Arizona, for example, depended on Mexican consumers for 70 percent of its sales-tax revenue.

The Border Effect
I know someone from Nogales, Arizona, and she talks about Nogales, Arizona and Nogales, Sonora as the same town. She's not trying to make a political point or anything. It's just the same place to her, that happens to be split in half by a fence now.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
In other words, for the next 1000+ years.

The items you posted would not be leverage to force Mexico to spend one penny on a wall. What they would do is destroy our diplomatic and trading ties with Mexico which would be as much to our detriment as theirs.
These fees won't even be noticed. This is something that the government is very good at. Taxing people without them knowing about it. It's like the gasoline tax. Nobody knows that a third of the cost of the gas goes to taxes.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I know someone from Nogales, Arizona, and she talks about Nogales, Arizona and Nogales, Sonora as the same town. She's not trying to make a political point or anything. It's just the same place to her, that happens to be split in half by a fence now.
I fully sympathize with her. I hate the landscape be broken up by ugly man made structures but nothing else has worked.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
M-E-X-I-C-O!

So, I will post this for the 5th time:

"Mexico must pay for the wall and, until they do, the United States will, among other things:

1) impound all remittance payments derived from illegal wages;

2) increase fees on all temporary visas issued to Mexican CEOs and diplomats (and if necessary cancel them);

3) increase fees on all border crossing cards – of which we issue about 1 million to Mexican nationals each year (a major source of visa overstays);

4) increase fees on all NAFTA worker visas from Mexico (another major source of overstays); and

5) increase fees at ports of entry to the United States from Mexico.

[Tariffs and foreign aid cuts are also options].

We will not be taken advantage of anymore."

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positio...gration-reform
This is just foolishness, fueled by the further foolishness that Mexico is taking advantage of us.

Google "maquiladora" if you're unclear on the concept. A steady stream of tractor trailers from the U.S. crosses the border each day with parts to be assembled in Mexican factories by workers who get paid as little as 55 cents an hour. Who is taking advantage of whom? If we try to get tough, they'll just turn our trucks around at the border and U.S. firms will suffer greatly.

And taxing remittance payments? Good luck with that one. The Mexicans I know will figure out a way to get their $500 across the border each month. Please. This is tough talk from people who live far removed from the fray, in my opinion.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:47 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
This is tough talk from people who live far removed from the fray, in my opinion.
And notice the source: donaldjtrump.com

Old 02-26-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I fully sympathize with her. I hate the landscape be broken up by ugly man made structures but nothing else has worked.
Unfortunately, a lot of U.S. people are afraid to cross and shop because of the rumors of drug killings and so on, which are greatly exaggerated in my opinion, at least in that part of Mexico. Phoenix is probably more dangerous. I don't go to Nogales often, but the last time I went people were like, "Will you please tell people that it's safe to shop here?" As if I had any real influence on what anybody else does. My wife and I picked up a few knick-knacks, ate some tasty treats and went home. It's a nice place, at least by day, and staying out of the bars and not looking for trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections