Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 07:43 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,975,092 times

Advertisements

Op you made a typo for hard delegates for sanders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
If Trump wins Ohio and Florida, which seems likely, I don't see how the Republicans end up with anyone other than him as the nominee.
All I can say is, let's hope this doesn't happen.

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
If Trump wins Ohio and Florida, which seems likely, I don't see how the Republicans end up with anyone other than him as the nominee.
He is under the 50% mark to avoid a potential brokered Convention, but if he takes both of those which is Winner Take All he would jump over the 50% mark. Obviously he would still need to win others, but the math becomes easier, and even if he falls short he would likely be close enough to the 50% mark and have such a delegate lead that him not getting the nomination would turn to utter chaos. On the other hand if he only takes one or takes neither a brokered Convention becomes very likely.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Op you made a typo for hard delegates for sanders

Corrected thanks

Old 03-09-2016, 07:47 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Smash, I appreciate the work and effort you put into this thread and keeping us informed on the delegate count. I tip my hat and gave you a rep.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:49 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Even if he doesn't win both, I don't see how Cruz can be nominated. So far, he's only proved that he is a regional candidate. With the exception of Maine he has no wins on the East Coast. In fact he has only won 2 states east of the Mississippi river. And as Michigan proved last night, he is very challenged in high population, highly industrialized states.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:51 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
He is under the 50% mark to avoid a potential brokered Convention, but if he takes both of those which is Winner Take All he would jump over the 50% mark. Obviously he would still need to win others, but the math becomes easier, and even if he falls short he would likely be close enough to the 50% mark and have such a delegate lead that him not getting the nomination would turn to utter chaos. On the other hand if he only takes one or takes neither a brokered Convention becomes very likely.
I guess my point is that if you look at the places where Trump has already won, why wouldn't he win the rest of the states if he wins Ohio and Florida, which have Kasich and Rubio in them.

I mean, he's going to win the remaining northeast states like NY, PA, CT, NJ, RI. He'll probably win Maryland too. Most of the South is done, so I just don't see where Cruz is going to beat Trump even if Rubio and Kasich aren't in the picture.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
I guess my point is that if you look at the places where Trump has already won, why wouldn't he win the rest of the states if he wins Ohio and Florida, which have Kasich and Rubio in them.

I mean, he's going to win the remaining northeast states like NY, PA, CT, NJ, RI. He'll probably win Maryland too. Most of the South is done, so I just don't see where Cruz is going to beat Trump even if Rubio and Kasich aren't in the picture.
I generally agree with you on this. However, we don't know what Rubio or Kasich will do if they do not win their own states, or how their supporters will break if they drop out. Not to mention this has been a strange election season to say the least.

With that being said it is becoming more and more likely that Trump will go to the Convention with the most delegates. Cruz gained a bit of momentum over the weekend, but Trump basically stalled that momentum last night. We are basically at the same point we were a week ago except the only real difference is Rubio is in even worse shape. I think really the only question is will Trump be able to crack the 50% mark.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:10 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I generally agree with you on this. However, we don't know what Rubio or Kasich will do if they do not win their own states, or how their supporters will break if they drop out. Not to mention this has been a strange election season to say the least.

With that being said it is becoming more and more likely that Trump will go to the Convention with the most delegates. Cruz gained a bit of momentum over the weekend, but Trump basically stalled that momentum last night. We are basically at the same point we were a week ago except the only real difference is Rubio is in even worse shape. I think really the only question is will Trump be able to crack the 50% mark.
Agreed, and then the follow up question of whether the Republicans are prepared to deny him the nomination if he has the most votes but not over 50%. Even if he didn't go 3rd party at that point, I think some of his supporters might vote Democratic in protest (for Bernie, yes, but even some for Hillary just because they would want to stick it to the Republicans and it seems like at least some of his supporters are more driven by emotion than policy) or they will just stay home.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Agreed, and then the follow up question of whether the Republicans are prepared to deny him the nomination if he has the most votes but not over 50%. Even if he didn't go 3rd party at that point, I think some of his supporters might vote Democratic in protest (for Bernie, yes, but even some for Hillary just because they would want to stick it to the Republicans and it seems like at least some of his supporters are more driven by emotion than policy) or they will just stay home.

I think there are a few possibilities on this. If Trump winds up being very close to the 50% mark and well ahead of anyone else I think it will be very unlikely they will block Trump from getting the nomination because it would turn it into utter chaos. However, if he isn't that close to the 50% mark, he isn't that far ahead of his next competitor (which will likely be Cruz) or if Rubio drops out and endorses Cruz it is possible that he could be blocked. Of course the other interesting tidbit is Cruz is almost as disliked among those in charge as Trump is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections