Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 03:30 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,375,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The standard for suing a newspaper was decided in the Supreme Court case New York Times Co. v. Sullivan, 376 U.S. 254 (1964).

No, that's the wrong case. That wasn't about newspapers; that was about the distinction between public figures and private figures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 03:47 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The thread title is completely misleading. Trump said that he wants to make it easier to sue a newspaper that publishes a completely libelous article (kind of like this thread title). I agree 100 percent. Libel isn't protected by the 1st amendment, btw.

That's exactly what I said on the other thread in this subject

Libel has always been actionable, and has nothing to do with the. First Amendment.

The desperation is evident.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:58 PM

7,503 posts, read 5,753,469 times
Quote:
Another moonbat thread. He believes they should be held responsible for knowingly and willfully publishing false information to attack individuals and groups. It would be called will slander and it's illegal now. It's just the moonbat media hides behind the 1st amendment. He wants them held to the same laws everyone else is for Christ's sake.

I'm not one for closing or deleting threads no matter how bad but this one is right at the top of a complete misrepresentation of facts and if anything, is the perfect example of why we need to reign the press in. So, congratulations, you proved his point with this thread. 😊

Old 03-01-2016, 04:00 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
No, that's the wrong case. That wasn't about newspapers; that was about the distinction between public figures and private figures.
Was it the Cherry Sisters case? Fair comment and criticism? That was decided back in the 1920s I think.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:21 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
They will be back to Insult you. That's how they debate issues.
Oh really? Have you seen the anti-Trump posts? These are the people you agree with. Let's see:

We've been called stupid, ignorant, rednecks, not Conservative (for the ones who are), dumb, morons, idiots...and you want to preach about insults?

REALLY?

Old 03-01-2016, 05:28 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,701,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oh really? Have you seen the anti-Trump posts? These are the people you agree with. Let's see:

We've been called stupid, ignorant, rednecks, not Conservative (for the ones who are), dumb, morons, idiots...and you want to preach about insults?

REALLY?
Y'know, if I really cared about the trump supporters hurt feelings I would comb thru the threads for all the insults they have hurled at people who have simply posed questions that were construed as anti-trump. I would estimate that they outnumber anti-trump comments by at least 5 to 1. And, I'm pretty sure the same insults "stupid, ignorant, rednecks, liberal (for the ones who aren't), dumb, morons, idiots" would be there in spades, plus some really sick other ones.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:31 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,701,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
I'm not one for closing or deleting threads no matter how bad but this one is right at the top of a complete misrepresentation of facts and if anything, is the perfect example of why we need to reign the press in. So, congratulations, you proved his point with this thread. 😊
What thread have you been reading? There has been a fairly intelligent, semi thoughtful discussion going back and forth (for once) on this thread. The upshot is that there are libel laws, and that newspapers are subject to them. No need for anyone to suggest that the newspapers need to be 'reined' in further.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:32 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Another moonbat thread. He believes they should be held responsible for knowingly and willfully publishing false information to attack individuals and groups. It would be called will slander and it's illegal now. It's just the moonbat media hides behind the 1st amendment. He wants them held to the same laws everyone else is for Christ's sake.

Under current law and court rulings, newspapers and the media are ALREADY liable for knowingly and willfully publishing false information to attack individuals and groups. That's not a legal tenet that needs fixing. As the National Review article said,
Quote:
American libel law is organized around a three-part test. For a claim to be libelous, it must be 1) false; 2) defamatory; 3) published with actual malice or reckless disregard for the truth.

Read more at: Donald Trump: Libel It Is Not if It
Trump is upset about newspapers publishing defamatory articles that happen to be true.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:37 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oh really? Have you seen the anti-Drumpf posts? These are the people you agree with. Let's see:

REALLY?
I see no difference in Drumpf's supporters than Drumpf himself. The guy throws out personal insults liberally but is the first to call foul if someone insults him. For a guy that claims to be so tough, he sure has a thin skin.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:39 PM

273 posts, read 140,123 times
Quote:
I see no difference in Drumpf's supporters than Drumpf himself. The guy throws out personal insults liberally but is the first to call foul if someone insults him. For a guy that claims to be so tough, he sure has a thin skin.
He keeps WINNING!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections