Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 01:43 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
again, the South was supposed to go to Cruz, that was his firewall and base...Trump has taken from Cruz 7 out of 10 states in the South....Trump did it with NO SUPER PACS and the GOP establishment against him and no ground game in caucuses.

If Trump loses 7 out of 10 states in the Northeast you all be saying Trump is in trouble,,,,but Cruz loses 7 out of 10 states in the South his stronghold and all of the sudden Cruz is doing very well?

Here is the schedule:

Michigan and Mississippi....open primaries

then you have the big enchilada of Florida, Illinois and Ohio....same day you have Missouri, North Carolina which are also open primaries.

it doesn't look too good for Cruz.

then in the month of April you have Wisconsin, New York, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island all PRIMARIES.

Cruz won't win 1 primary in April.....then it gets worst when it goes out West............Sorry but I don't see a path for Cruz, its going to get bad starting March 15th until June 7th.
Well said. Primaries are usually over by the time they reach Pennsylvania. Not sure if it is the same this year. It may not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 02:18 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Quote:
again, the South was supposed to go to Cruz, that was his firewall and base...Trump has taken from Cruz 7 out of 10 states in the South....Trump did it with NO SUPER PACS and the GOP establishment against him and no ground game in caucuses.

If Trump loses 7 out of 10 states in the Northeast you all be saying Trump is in trouble,,,,but Cruz loses 7 out of 10 states in the South his stronghold and all of the sudden Cruz is doing very well?

Here is the schedule:

Michigan and Mississippi....open primaries

then you have the big enchilada of Florida, Illinois and Ohio....same day you have Missouri, North Carolina which are also open primaries.

it doesn't look too good for Cruz.

then in the month of April you have Wisconsin, New York, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island all PRIMARIES.

Cruz won't win 1 primary in April.....then it gets worst when it goes out West............Sorry but I don't see a path for Cruz, its going to get bad starting March 15th until June 7th.
What I am saying is Cruz overperformed and Trump underperformed (based on polling data) on Super Tuesday and yesterday as well. If that continues, Trump's standing as the clear front runner could be in jeopardy.

I'm not saying Cruz is a shoe in to win the nomination. All I am saying is that polling data was not accurate for yesterday's primaries or for those on Super Tuesday. As such, I'd be reluctant to make too many assumptions about future primary results based on current polls as previous polls were so wrong about primaries that have already occurred. I'm talking about under- and overpolling of 10%+; makes it hard to make accurate predictions based on current polling data. Trump may still have the edge but, until more there are more results, I don't feel comfortable saying that definitively.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:28 PM

207 posts, read 119,453 times
I think it will be opposite of what most people are predicting here, just like always.

We'll see what kind of candidate Trump really is. He will do one of two things:

1. Flame out with even crazier stunts and comments, and lose the candidacy.

2. Veer to towards a more serious campaign mode and leverage his skills and leadership attributes that will allow him to go all the way to the WH. If the media put together a montage of Trump's best sound bytes and interview moments instead of all of the negative, much of the public that is currently staying away from Trump would be all over him.

I think and hope he'll go the #2 route. I think he really does have what it takes to win and be a great president. He also has what it takes to flame out as in #1. We kind of all do to some degree in that regard as it relates to life. We'll see what happens in the next month or two.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:40 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
The math says Trump must win Ohio or Florida. Lose both then brokered convention, win both and Trump walks the dog.

The debate on Thursday will be interesting to see who attacks who. If Cruz does not attack Rubio and Rubio takes Florida then it hurts Cruz. On the other hand if Cruz attacks Trump which causes Trump to lose Florida the result is the same. Cruz is in a bind.
There is a poll out yesterday that has Kasich ahead of both Trump and Cruz in Michigan. Maybe that last fiasco of a debate had more of an effect than conventional wisdom thought. And maybe there is a real race now.

Poll: Kasich pulls ahead of Trump in Michigan | TheHill

Old 03-06-2016, 03:57 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,273,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
What I am saying is Cruz overperformed and Trump underperformed (based on polling data) on Super Tuesday and yesterday as well. If that continues, Trump's standing as the clear front runner could be in jeopardy.

I'm not saying Cruz is a shoe in to win the nomination. All I am saying is that polling data was not accurate for yesterday's primaries or for those on Super Tuesday. As such, I'd be reluctant to make too many assumptions about future primary results based on current polls as previous polls were so wrong about primaries that have already occurred. I'm talking about under- and overpolling of 10%+; makes it hard to make accurate predictions based on current polling data. Trump may still have the edge but, until more there are more results, I don't feel comfortable saying that definitively.

the polls can't do caucuses well.....they have been way off on both parties....but on primaries the polls haven't been wrong, all the polls favorites have won the primaries.....no upset yet in the primaries and we have had 12 so far.

Now of course Trump numbers will take a hit....he is going against the conservative base which are supporting Cruz in the stronghold South and the GOP establishment that have declared war on Trump with the 2012 GOP Presidential candidate coming out just 3 days before Saturday's voting just attacking on every level Trump. Romney said more negative things about Trump than the Clintons, which I have never seen in my lifetime so that will take a toll but Trump keeps winning primaries.

Trump has NO SUPER PAC and the GOP establishment is against him.....not only against him, they are coming out to destroy Trump using well known names like Mitt Romney the 2012 GOP Candidate....of course Trump will take a few hits but once this goes out of the South and Open Primaries in winner takes all delegates that will favor Trump.

Lucky for Cruz, if the South was winner takes all delegates, Trump lead would be higher in the delegate count.

What Romney and the GOP establishment is betting on and working hard is that Rubio wins Florida and Kasich wins Ohio so they would stay and have a broker convention and Mitt squeeze in.......that happens you can kiss goodbye the GOP party and the general election.......they will risk the house and the senate too.

They don't want Cruz either, they are just using him to prevent Trump of getting 1,237.....but they will do the same thing to Cruz.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:39 PM

I am not sure how Cruz merits the "conservative" badge. He is a lawyer. Other than talking conservative, there is not one thing he has done to further conservatives.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:10 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I'm pretty sure the idea that he'll start giving lots more press conferences and saying a lot more insane things will be on the agenda. He'll probably want to open up those 2nd Amendment laws so everyone can own machine guns and tanks.
Yes. A chicken in every pot, and a mortar in every home.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:12 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Quote:
the polls can't do caucuses well.....they have been way off on both parties....but on primaries the polls haven't been wrong, all the polls favorites have won the primaries.....no upset yet in the primaries and we have had 12 so far.

Now of course Trump numbers will take a hit....he is going against the conservative base which are supporting Cruz in the stronghold South and the GOP establishment that have declared war on Trump with the 2012 GOP Presidential candidate coming out just 3 days before Saturday's voting just attacking on every level Trump. Romney said more negative things about Trump than the Clintons, which I have never seen in my lifetime so that will take a toll but Trump keeps winning primaries.

Trump has NO SUPER PAC and the GOP establishment is against him.....not only against him, they are coming out to destroy Trump using well known names like Mitt Romney the 2012 GOP Candidate....of course Trump will take a few hits but once this goes out of the South and Open Primaries in winner takes all delegates that will favor Trump.

Lucky for Cruz, if the South was winner takes all delegates, Trump lead would be higher in the delegate count.

What Romney and the GOP establishment is betting on and working hard is that Rubio wins Florida and Kasich wins Ohio so they would stay and have a broker convention and Mitt squeeze in.......that happens you can kiss goodbye the GOP party and the general election.......they will risk the house and the senate too.

They don't want Cruz either, they are just using him to prevent Trump of getting 1,237.....but they will do the same thing to Cruz.
I'll agree with the above in bold 100%. The GOP is literally committing suicide in front of our very eyes. They asked Trump to sign a pledge that he would not run 3rd party but they are not holding up their end of the bargain. Notice that they're not attacking HRC with 1% of the venom directed towards Trump. Not only that, but they're attacking Trump from the left even using the sleazy line about him not disavowing David Duke and the KKK which he has done, what, 20+ times. People have to realize when so called journalists ask Trump about Duke or the KKK they are not attempting to obtain information, they are trying to create a soundbite they can use to trash him so he has to be very careful with his answers.

Another point to recall is that the GOP establishment would rather see Clinton win the general election than Trump, as it still preserves their power and income (which is their objective). The GOP establishment is really thumbing its nose as its own voters, who they have let down time and time again. If they were trying to sabotage the election in the Democrats' favor, they couldn't be doing a better job.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:08 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,339,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I'll agree with the above in bold 100%. The GOP is literally committing suicide in front of our very eyes. They asked Trump to sign a pledge that he would not run 3rd party but they are not holding up their end of the bargain.
How so? If Trump doesn't get 1,237 delegates, he's not the winner and the RNC has every right to nominate a new candidate.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
How so? If Trump doesn't get 1,237 delegates, he's not the winner and the RNC has every right to nominate a new candidate.
Who is "RNC?" They have to bring back cigars for that to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections