Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Trump supporters, what will you do if the nomination gets stolen from him?
Bow to the establishment and vote for who they pick 11 14.29%
Write in Trump, even though you know it will just help Hillary 18 23.38%
Vote for Hillary to punish the GOP establishment 18 23.38%
Skip the election entirely 30 38.96%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 05:17 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
As a Cruz supporter, I wont. If Cruz were to get the most delegates but failed to reach 1,237 there was a contested convention and the delegates voted for someone else who won the GOP nomination, Im fine with that. Thats how the process works and I'd respect it even if I didn't agree with it. Its the Trump supporters who want to bend rules and want to change the process.
It's easy to say that when you know they wouldn't do that to the candidate you support. Sure, there are rules, but there are special rules for Trump. I don't think anyone could deny that. If Trump was any other candidate, with this much voter support, the GOP would be rallying behind him at this point.

And, btw, I would be angry if the same scenario applied to Cruz, or Sanders, or Hillary, or anyone else. The voters are the people who matter, not the party. The voters have the power, not the party.

BUT the voters only have the power if they exercise it with their votes.

If you just accept the rules that the party makes, and changes on a whim to suit their pick of a candidate, then you are relinquishing your power to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 06:01 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
It's easy to say that when you know they wouldn't do that to the candidate you support. Sure, there are rules, but there are special rules for Trump. I don't think anyone could deny that. If Trump was any other candidate, with this much voter support, the GOP would be rallying behind him at this point.

And, btw, I would be angry if the same scenario applied to Cruz, or Sanders, or Hillary, or anyone else. The voters are the people who matter, not the party. The voters have the power, not the party.

BUT the voters only have the power if they exercise it with their votes.

If you just accept the rules that the party makes, and changes on a whim to suit their pick of a candidate, then you are relinquishing your power to them.
It is the party's nominee, they do indeed have the power. Don't like it? Don't vote in their primary or for their candidate. You have right to vote for the US president, you don't have a right to vote for the nominee of a particular party. They allow you to vote to give them an indication of who they should chose as their nominee, but they don't have to. And, they don't gave to listen to you.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It is the party's nominee, they do indeed have the power. Don't like it? Don't vote in their primary or for their candidate. You have right to vote for the US president, you don't have a right to vote for the nominee of a particular party. They allow you to vote to give them an indication of who they should chose as their nominee, but they don't have to. And, they don't gave to listen to you.
If they want to just pick the candidate, let them just pick the candidate they want to run. They won't do that because they will quickly become as irrelevant as any third party that does that. As long as they are going to ask us to vote for the candidate, like the Democratic Party does, then they are giving that power to the people, in exchange for legitimacy.

To pick someone who is not the front runner, they lose that legitimacy...along with the presidency.

It is in the presidential election where the people will exercise their real power. And if the GOP doesn't like it? Dont deny the people the power to choose the candidate.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:14 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
I don't think they will do anything to steal the election. They might hold their noses and nominated him and secretly hope that Trump beats Hilary.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:35 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I was watching the debate from last night and while I don't support Sanders, I was amazed by the smear attacks Clinton was making on him that I know aren't true. I don't even like Sanders, but for her to imply so many false things about Sanders during a debate shocked me. We need someone like Trump to expose her for the crook she really is.
Same here. I watched a couple of clips online and thought what in the heck is she talking about.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:26 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I don't want Trump destroyed, I just don't want him to be the GOP nominee. As I have said numerous times, I would have far less trouble with Trump if he were running as a Democrat or the Independent he is. I fail to understand why you would think that I would be okay with the hijacking of the party whose platform I have always supported, by people who have never been affliated with the party before? The number of crossover voters in the primaries this year is extremely high. Not only that, why would I be happy having a candidate foisted on my party, who doesn't support the tenets of the party, by 30-40% of those voting?

I'm attacking Trump because I would be appalled at having him as the party nominee. By the way, they would much rather make you mad at them than me mad at them. I have been a loyal supporter for years.
All you have stated is your opinion. And I am sure that you realize that others have different opinions than yours.

The party I support as republicans have veered too far to the right as tea party / extreme social conservative movement. If needed they might love to make the Bible the law of the land like the Sharia law. And the remaining fraction is held hostage by multibillionaires who want to control the people. The average voter has no voice.

Why should Trump run as a democrat or independent. Why can't the Rubios and Cruzes start their own party or run as independents. The crossovers you lament are the voters who vote in the general election and if you can't win over them now, you are not going to win over them in the GE.

And I am appalled that we can even think of lying Cruz or puppet Rubio as our nominee. See, you have a similar appalled feeling about Trump. Yet we are both voters and republicans so my opinion is not more valuable or right than yours, or vice versa.

And before we have the idiotic opinion that Trump cannot be the nominee because only 35 % vote for him and therefore 65 % are against him ( the worst case of logic I have ever seen) I retort that only 25 % voted for Cruz and 20 % for Rubio so it means that 75 % and 80 % of republicans are against them. I am sure you can see the stupidity of such extrapolations.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:55 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I bet if the GOP establishment decides Trump is a bit too fascist even for them, and they pick some empty headed robot who will do their bidding without question, over half of the Trumpets will fall in line. They respond well to strong arm tactics and love to be ordered around. The establishment just needs to find someone appropriately authoritarian enough to threaten them if they don't vote for whatever jerk they decide on.
Oh, you mean like those who vote the straight "D" ticket like an automaton?

Old 03-10-2016, 08:15 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Under what scenario -- if Trump is not nominated -- will Trump supporters accept the outcome and that it was not "stolen"?

Old 03-10-2016, 11:51 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Trumpets, be honest with yourselves. You all really hate Hillary. You're really going to not vote for Establish-bot knowing it will mean Hillary will win? Is this just you realizing no matter who you vote for is irrelevant? The Democrats are going to win no matter who the angry, old white people vote for. Deep down, you know that.
Trumpets hate any candidate that isn't their own, and, at the least, dislike many of the supporters of those other candidates. Seen the tweets and videos from the newly elected Chairman of the Travis County (TX) Republican Party, for example? And, then there's Trump himself...willing to say whatever populist rhetoric it takes to get elected.

Cruz is a polished, well-spoken, incredibly intelligent near-shyster who espouses a God-in-government facade and yet effectively screwed Dr. Carson out of the race.

Rubio had potential. So much potential, at least early on, and he has sane views on immigration. Too bad he had to resort to terrible joke-telling to counter Trump's "little Marco" attacks. I still wish Rubio well as a senator and hope he gets reelected when it's time.

Kasich is great. Too bad that having level-headed views on immigration, taxation, and economic development aren't popular among the hillbillies who want to "carpet bomb dem Muslims and their families into oblivion and make America great and stuff," or among the "in Jesus' name" crowd predominantly consisting of rural Southerners.

This all ultimately makes me embarrassed to, at least during this election cycle, be a Republican. I'm very inclined to vote for Libertarian Gary Johnson in the general election.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Under what scenario -- if Trump is not nominated -- will Trump supporters accept the outcome and that it was not "stolen"?
I can't speak for all Trump supporters, but for me, all it will take is for another candidate to get more votes than Trump. It is pretty simple. If the people vote for someone else, I will accept that, and I will vote for the republican candidate because I believe that all of the candidates are better than Hillary Clinton.

But there is a more important issue at stake. The GOP cannot be allowed to disenfranchise it's voters. I would rather see Hillary win than allow that to take place. Either we believe in democracy or we don't. As I have said in other threads, how can we criticize the rigged elections in places like Iran, when our own elections are rigged?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections