Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2016, 10:20 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Thousands saved if Trump is elected, I guess I'll take the liberals advice and vote in my own self interest and vote Trump.
Dont forget no medicare and toll booths on every road. Will private insurers take you once you hit 70? $100 000 per year in basic health insurance which wont cover heart attacks? Time to find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 10:28 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,818,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
2 adults, 2 kids under 5. It's a high deductible HRA plan with BCBS, the first $1k is 100% covered by us. So it's $5200.
So you have a BCBS plan that costs you $350 month for a family of 4 with a $1000 deductible. Thats very good health insurance. Is it thru your employer?

Old 03-30-2016, 10:45 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
I make a lower amount than most who seem to be on city-data and would pay out Bernie about a tenth of my salary in extra taxes. And would get healthcare included. Should I have not gotten that benefit through my employer (a school district (which explains my somewhat low wages)) I would pay about the same as my tenth in taxes extra for traditional healthcare.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:14 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,932,037 times
Well I'm 21, and unlike many here I don't make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. That being said last year I made ~ $11,000 working part time, according to their calculator I would pay an extra $960 and added with my current taxes I would pay ~ $3,000. For me personally I wouldn't mind sacrificing that money if it means that we all get full health coverage and that we will have a better educated population. Now that being said I'm not a "lazy student who wants rich people to fund my education" for one I'm was paying 100% out of pocket going to community college part time. However recently I joined a great program called "Year Up" and it is a one year programs that teaches younge adults IT as well as soft skills on how to operate in the corporate world. (6 months of classes, 6 months of internship) this program is "Free" and plus you get payed stipends. Now I put free in quotations because I chose to do it through one of their centers that does it through a partnership with a local community college, and because they couldn't find funding for me (well if I had applied for food stamps I would've been elegible for money but I declined the offer) so I happily payed the $5,000 tuition. And hopefully from there I will be able to advance my career. Now all of that said I personally think that paying taxes is a duty and an honor, we live in this wonderful country and so we need to pay up. And even if sanders wasn't offering all these social programs we still need to increase taxes because we need to pull our country out of debt. Also many rich people complain that the progressive tax is unfair, and maybe it is in a way, but you have to remeber that what your personal value of a dollar is not the same as a poor person. If a poor person were to misplace/loose $1, the pain that he/she experienced would be equivalent to as if you loosed $10 or something along those lines. So it would make sense that a rich person would pay more because that's what it would take for a rich person and a poor person to expierience the same amount of sacrifice and pain. (Portinality doesn't work because poor people spend a much larger proportion of their paycheck on paying bills and neccecities such as food than rich people do. Which brings me my next point, velocity in money. If more money goes to poor people, more of that money goes back into the economy because they tend to spend all their money, they don't save and they don't invest, where as rich people tend to save and invest large portions of their money because that's how they got to be rich in the first place. Also it's in the business mans best interest to pay for education because that way he will be able to find more qualified workers, and also just the general population in general because it's very possible that some of those students who wouldn't have been able to get an education can now become a successful entrepreneurs who will creat even more jobs. Who knows maybe I'm naïve because I still live with my parents and haven't experienced the real business world, but that's my opinion you don't have to agree with me and you don't have to vote for sanders either. Now if sanders doesn't become the nominee and there is no attractive third party with a good chance of winning, then I will vote for Trump. I also understand the appeal of small government and I honestly like both systems, so long as the average joe can live a comfortable life, and from what I've seen that's not the case today, we either have greatly increase or decrease our government, the status quo isn't working anymore, the only problem is which is going to work better? And we won't be exactly sure until we try both and from my understanding we have tried small government through out various times in our history and it didn't work out so well, and the time that it was the largest was between the 40s-70s and that was also America's golden age, so I'm leaning more twords big government will bring more success, but I could be wrong.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:12 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Well I'm 21, and unlike many here I don't make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. That being said last year I made ~ $11,000 working part time, according to their calculator I would pay an extra $960 and added with my current taxes I would pay ~ $3,000. For me personally I wouldn't mind sacrificing that money if it means that we all get full health coverage and that we will have a better educated population. Now that being said I'm not a "lazy student who wants rich people to fund my education" for one I'm was paying 100% out of pocket going to community college part time. However recently I joined a great program called "Year Up" and it is a one year programs that teaches younge adults IT as well as soft skills on how to operate in the corporate world. (6 months of classes, 6 months of internship) this program is "Free" and plus you get payed stipends. Now I put free in quotations because I chose to do it through one of their centers that does it through a partnership with a local community college, and because they couldn't find funding for me (well if I had applied for food stamps I would've been elegible for money but I declined the offer) so I happily payed the $5,000 tuition. And hopefully from there I will be able to advance my career. Now all of that said I personally think that paying taxes is a duty and an honor, we live in this wonderful country and so we need to pay up. And even if sanders wasn't offering all these social programs we still need to increase taxes because we need to pull our country out of debt. Also many rich people complain that the progressive tax is unfair, and maybe it is in a way, but you have to remeber that what your personal value of a dollar is not the same as a poor person. If a poor person were to misplace/loose $1, the pain that he/she experienced would be equivalent to as if you loosed $10 or something along those lines. So it would make sense that a rich person would pay more because that's what it would take for a rich person and a poor person to expierience the same amount of sacrifice and pain. (Portinality doesn't work because poor people spend a much larger proportion of their paycheck on paying bills and neccecities such as food than rich people do. Which brings me my next point, velocity in money. If more money goes to poor people, more of that money goes back into the economy because they tend to spend all their money, they don't save and they don't invest, where as rich people tend to save and invest large portions of their money because that's how they got to be rich in the first place. Also it's in the business mans best interest to pay for education because that way he will be able to find more qualified workers, and also just the general population in general because it's very possible that some of those students who wouldn't have been able to get an education can now become a successful entrepreneurs who will creat even more jobs. Who knows maybe I'm naïve because I still live with my parents and haven't experienced the real business world, but that's my opinion you don't have to agree with me and you don't have to vote for sanders either. Now if sanders doesn't become the nominee and there is no attractive third party with a good chance of winning, then I will vote for Trump. I also understand the appeal of small government and I honestly like both systems, so long as the average joe can live a comfortable life, and from what I've seen that's not the case today, we either have greatly increase or decrease our government, the status quo isn't working anymore, the only problem is which is going to work better? And we won't be exactly sure until we try both and from my understanding we have tried small government through out various times in our history and it didn't work out so well, and the time that it was the largest was between the 40s-70s and that was also America's golden age, so I'm leaning more twords big government will bring more success, but I could be wrong.
Big government is the problem. You would be far worse off under Sanders than your are now. You would get nothing in return for your additional tax burden besides reduced take home pay and reduced employment opportunity moving forward.

Our economy is already uncompetitive based on the regulatory and tax climate. Making this climate much worse, which is what Sanders' plan does, would only decrease employment opportunity (including wage growth) for all of us. It would be particularly detrimental to people like yourself as you're still early in your career and don't have specialized skills that would make it easier for your to whether the storm of an even worse economy. I'd imagine many of the entry level positions would go unfilled or be automated as a response to Sanders' plans; some would be outsourced.

The status quo is not working b/c the government has gotten too big and, with it, has come increased corruption. The best way to solve this (which will not happen) is to reduce the size and scope of the government to the point at which it would be difficult (if even possible) for it dole out favors to the well connected and well lobbied.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:50 AM

729 posts, read 429,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Alright, the Donald saves me beau coup buckaroos! Hil n Bern cost me mucho pesos. Muy mucho pesos.

¡Ay, caramba!
Verdad!

Old 03-31-2016, 01:01 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,932,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Big government is the problem. You would be far worse off under Sanders than your are now. You would get nothing in return for your additional tax burden besides reduced take home pay and reduced employment opportunity moving forward.

Our economy is already uncompetitive based on the regulatory and tax climate. Making this climate much worse, which is what Sanders' plan does, would only decrease employment opportunity (including wage growth) for all of us. It would be particularly detrimental to people like yourself as you're still early in your career and don't have specialized skills that would make it easier for your to whether the storm of an even worse economy. I'd imagine many of the entry level positions would go unfilled or be automated as a response to Sanders' plans; some would be outsourced.

The status quo is not working b/c the government has gotten too big and, with it, has come increased corruption. The best way to solve this (which will not happen) is to reduce the size and scope of the government to the point at which it would be difficult (if even possible) for it dole out favors to the well connected and well lobbied.
I personally would rather have many of these social programs be financed by the state, so that more liberal states such as the PNW and New England would finance their own universal healthcare but only for residents of those states, and what ever other programs that people would vote for, and then in more conservative states such as those in the south would be completly privatized and the federal government should completly stay out of it, this is my opinion on how to solve the problem of such a divided country. Then we will see what works best and states would learn from one another and copy and improve on other states policies.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:01 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Big government is the problem.
Big government. What is the definition of a big government?

Is the definition describing a government that stays home and tries to make things better at home or is it a definition of a government that wastes trillions of dollars traipsing around the world getting involved in other countries where it doesn't belong?

I've not heard how we are going to pay for that either yet.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:03 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I personally would rather have many of these social programs be financed by the state, so that more liberal states such as the PNW and New England would finance their own universal healthcare but only for residents of those states, and what ever other programs that people would vote for, and then in more conservative states such as those in the south would be completly privatized and the federal government should completly stay out of it, this is my opinion on how to solve the problem of such a divided country. Then we will see what works best and states would learn from one another and copy and improve on other states policies.
Can States opt out of the wars also?

Old 03-31-2016, 01:04 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
A country needs laws. A country with no regulation will be worse than ever. Poisoned air, water and land while monopolies will rip off the people as anti-trust legislation would be gutted. Your vision is the dream scenario of the well heeled. Government is the only potentially democratic institution the people have to defend themselves against private tyrannies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections