Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 11:38 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
But because media is what media is today, any stupid, absurd remark made by Donald Trump becomes the story of the week. Maybe, just maybe, we might want to have a serious discussion about the serious issues facing America. Donald Trump will not look quite so interesting in that context.

Hey, Bernie. A woman's right to choose IS a serious issue facing America.

But not surprising from a man who does not have a single woman on his senior campaign advisory team. Oh, I know he votes the right way. But it's clearly not a priority to him, and he doesn't want to waste time talking about abortion rights when there are things that are much more important in his mind.

Just a minute later in that interview, he listed those things, and a woman's right to have autonomy over her own body didn't even make the list of things worthy of being discussed. Sure, he's pro-choice, but apparently it's someone else's job to make sure that women continue to have the right to make their own choices, not something that's really "serious" that needs to be talked about.

Quote:
SANDERS: All that I'm saying is that Trump is nobody's fool. He knows how to manipulate the media and you say an absurd thing and the media is all over it. And my concern is that today in America, you've got millions of people who are struggling economically. They want to know how we're going to expand the middle class. Overwhelmingly, people think we should raise the minimum wage. Vast majority of people think climate change is real and a threat to our planet. They want to do something about that. What do we do? Vast majority of the people think the wealthiest people in this country should start paying their fair share of taxes. But if we don't discuss those issues, it creates the climate for people like Donald Trump to do much better than he really has a right to do.
http://www.newsweek.com/bernie-sande...terview-442491
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 11:44 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Hey, Bernie. A woman's right to choose IS a serious issue facing America.

But not surprising from a man who does not have a single woman on his senior campaign advisory team. Oh, I know he votes the right way. But it's clearly not a priority to him, and he doesn't want to waste time talking about abortion rights when there are things that are much more important in his mind.

Just a minute later in that interview, he listed those things, and a woman's right to have autonomy over her own body didn't even make the list of things worthy of being discussed. Sure, he's pro-choice, but apparently it's someone else's job to make sure that women continue to have the right to make their own choices, not something that's really "serious" that needs to be talked about.

http://www.newsweek.com/bernie-sande...terview-442491

The last time I checked, abortion is LEGAL. How is this an issue in 2016????

If you want to kill your unborn children then that is YOUR choice, but I don't have to facilitate it. Does the man have the same "choice"?

Old 03-31-2016, 11:55 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,704,457 times
Here from Bernie:
The decision about abortion is a decision for a woman and her doctor to make, not the government. I will not allow the right wing to deny women control over their own bodies by forcing clinics to close, extending waiting periods, or inventing other methods that create de facto abortion bans. Roe v. Wade is the law of the land and must remain so.

I'll agree with Bernie don't give Trump the attention we need let's focus on the issues at hand.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:03 PM

There are pending abortion cases before the Supreme Court and the district courts. The next president will be appointing justices and judges. This IS an issue at hand. Denying that doesn't change the reality that women's right to choose is in jeopardy depending on the ongoing make up of the Supreme Court and federal bench.

And as I said, Bernie is pro-choice, but this just isn't an important issue to him. And I disagree, I think it's a very important issue and we need to continue to emphasize this difference between the Democratic and Republican parties, not just shove it under the carpet in favor of issues that matter more to Bernie because he has been and remains blind to the fact that economic issues are not the only thing that matter.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:06 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,704,457 times
Quote:
There are pending abortion cases before the Supreme Court and the district courts. The next president will be appointing justices and judges. This IS an issue at hand. Denying that doesn't change the reality that women's right to choose is in jeopardy depending on the ongoing make up of the Supreme Court and federal bench.

And as I said, Bernie is pro-choice, but this just isn't an important issue to him. And I disagree, I think it's a very important issue and we need to continue to emphasize this difference between the Democratic and Republican parties, not just shove it under the carpet in favor of issues that matter more to Bernie because he has been and remains blind to the fact that economic issues are not the only thing that matter.
Everyone knows where Bernie stands its not going to do much. Fixing the economy, healthcare system, bringing job's back to America, and ending wars are the more pressing issue's. Bernie is pro women's rights and minorities rights. We know he is the champion for those two groups we know he'll deal with those issues when President. He just sees no point giving Trump the spotlight.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:12 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Bernie speaks truth.
But because media is what media is today, any stupid, absurd remark made by Donald Trump becomes the story of the week. Maybe, just maybe, we might want to have a serious discussion about the serious issues facing America. Donald Trump will not look quite so interesting in that context.
The permanently Trump deranged ought to take lesson from this.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Everyone knows where Bernie stands its not going to do much. Fixing the economy, healthcare system, bringing job's back to America, and ending wars are the more pressing issue's. Bernie is pro women's rights and minorities rights. We know he is the champion for those two groups we know he'll deal with those issues when President. He just sees no point giving Trump the spotlight.
Not more pressing in my opinion and Bernie is by no means a champion for women and minorities. A champion goes out and fights on those issues, not just votes the right way. He doesn't make them a priority because everything comes second to the issue he cares about.

And the fact is that this is a huge difference between Dems and the GOP - which is a big message for the general election, which is why it needs to be highlighted. People who care about a woman's right to choose need to be reminded of just how much jeopardy that right is in if a Republican gets elected, not told that it's not a pressing issue.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:19 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Abortion is legal in this country, and from his record and what he has said on the issue, I'm not worried about Sanders in that regard. He's not a misogynist or a bigot, like Trump, and his supporters know that.

But here's the part the OP conveniently skips over, that, to me, is the real crux of Sanders' comment:

"We might want to have a serious discussion about the serious issues facing America. Donald Trump will not look quite so interesting in that context."

And that's the truth.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Abortion is legal in this country, and from his record and what he has said on the issue, I'm not worried about Sanders in that regard. He's not a misogynist or a bigot, like Trump, and his supporters know that.

But here's the part the OP conveniently skips over, that, to me, is the real crux of Sanders' comment:

"We might want to have a serious discussion about the serious issues facing America. Donald Trump will not look quite so interesting in that context."

And that's the truth.
As I explained already, I'm not claiming that Bernie isn't pro-choice. What I am saying is that he is dismissive of abortion rights being a serious issue and I disagree. I think abortion rights are in jeopardy under a Republican presidency and I think that is a very serious issue.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:50 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,536,509 times
Quote:
As I explained already, I'm not claiming that Bernie isn't pro-choice. What I am saying is that he is dismissive of abortion rights being a serious issue and I disagree.
That's my takeaway too.
Many red states continue to chip away at women's rights to make reproductive decisions. Sanders either misspoke or indicated it's not a priority issue for him. I'm not sure which, his statement needs clarification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections