Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 07:30 PM

660 posts, read 658,756 times

Advertisements

At this point, it is not likely that Trump will lose New York. But in upstate NY in counties such as Orange, Putnam, and Dutchess I have seen Trump's support dropping. I have seen houses that I regularly drive by in Putnam and Dutchess County change from Trump lawn markers to Cruz markers. And I have seen an increase of Cruz lawn markers in Orange County. Trump is not popular in Upstate New York. NYC/LI only makes up 50% of the population.

Even John Kasich is doing well in Upstate NY. He got his biggest crowds in Syracuse. Don't be surprised to see a much closer New York GOP Primary than expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 07:35 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheBern View Post
At this point, it is not likely that Trump will lose New York. But in upstate NY in counties such as Orange, Putnam, and Dutchess I have seen Trump's support dropping. I have seen houses that I regularly drive by in Putnam and Dutchess County change from Trump lawn markers to Cruz markers. And I have seen an increase of Cruz lawn markers in Orange County. Trump is not popular in Upstate New York. NYC/LI only makes up 50% of the population.

Even John Kasich is doing well in Upstate NY. He got his biggest crowds in Syracuse. Don't be surprised to see a much closer New York GOP Primary than expected.
If Trump gets >50% of the total vote, do Cruz and Kasich still get the delegates for the congressional districts they win? I have heard that each CD is worth 3 delegates while there are 14 at-large delegates awarded to the candidate who wins the popular vote (who will very likely to be Trump).

I understood Cruz was targeting certain CD's where he has very high appeal. These are often Democratic leaning CD's with very low turnouts in a GOP primary. Seems like a smart move; looks like Cruz is doing quite well in the Capital District.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
If Trump gets >50% of the total vote, do Cruz and Kasich still get the delegates for the congressional districts they win? I have heard that each CD is worth 3 delegates while there are 14 at-large delegates awarded to the candidate who wins the popular vote (who will very likely to be Trump).

I understood Cruz was targeting certain CD's where he has very high appeal. These are often Democratic leaning CD's with very low turnouts in a GOP primary. Seems like a smart move; looks like Cruz is doing quite well in the Capital District.
I am not sure on the delegate math. Cruz is doing well anything north of Westchester County. The media really doesn't care about New York as a state, but only NYC. I really hope Cruz dominates Upstate NY and Cruz upsets to **** the media off.

Same could be said about Bernie. Bernie is doing very well in Upstate, all I see are Bernie bumper stickers. Hillary is in Upstate NY now, why? Because she knows she will get killed in Upstate NY.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:50 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
I am pretty confident Trump will win NY state. I hope Cruz comes in #3 because I can't stand that guy.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I am not sure on the delegate math. Cruz is doing well anything north of Westchester County. The media really doesn't care about New York as a state, but only NYC. I really hope Cruz dominates Upstate NY and Cruz upsets to **** the media off.

Same could be said about Bernie. Bernie is doing very well in Upstate, all I see are Bernie bumper stickers. Hillary is in Upstate NY now, why? Because she knows she will get killed in Upstate NY.
Do you think Sanders has a chance to win the NY primary? If not, how much do you think he will lose by?

There was a poll today showing him down 16% (37-53). I'm a Cruz supporter but I would love to see Sanders beat Clinton here in NY. I disagree with Sanders on almost all policies, but have found him fairly likable. Words can't even begin to express my dislike of Clinton.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Do you think Sanders has a chance to win the NY primary? If not, how much do you think he will lose by?

There was a poll today showing him down 16% (37-53). I'm a Cruz supporter but I would love to see Sanders beat Clinton here in NY. I disagree with Sanders on almost all policies, but have found him fairly likable. Words can't even begin to express my dislike of Clinton.
YES! I believe NY will be a repeat of Michigan. NYC will be closer than expected and Bernie will dominate in Upstate NY.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
YES! I believe NY will be a repeat of Michigan. NYC will be closer than expected and Bernie will dominate in Upstate NY.
I hope you're right but have seen no evidence that Sanders will carry NY. Remember, the Michigan situation is an anomaly, meaning the default position is to trust the polls (which happened to be wrong in Michigan).

When you say Sanders is winning Upstate, are you saying 60%+?

In NYC, I've heard he is looking good in Brooklyn and Queens but will struggle in Manhattan and The Bronx.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:00 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:

Being a Pennsylvanian I can't predict NY, but I have to inform you that Hillary will win PA. She is enormously popular here.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
I hope you're right but have seen no evidence that Sanders will carry NY. Remember, the Michigan situation is an anomaly, meaning the default position is to trust the polls (which happened to be wrong in Michigan).

When you say Sanders is winning Upstate, are you saying 60%+?

In NYC, I've heard he is looking good in Brooklyn and Queens but will struggle in Manhattan and The Bronx.
He blew Clinton out by 22 points in New Hampshire and by like 60 points in Vermont. Bernie also almost swept Massachusetts in the blue collar areas outside of Boston. Upstate NY is very similar to Vermont, New Hampshire, and the blue collar areas of Massachusetts.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
He blew Clinton out by 22 points in New Hampshire and by like 60 points in Vermont. Bernie also almost swept Massachusetts in the blue collar areas outside of Boston. Upstate NY is very similar to Vermont, New Hampshire, and the blue collar areas of Massachusetts.
I was surprised to see Clinton win the Massachusetts primary. Given the proximity to Vermont and loss of manufacturing in Massachusetts, I thought Sanders would win given his opposition to the trade deals. Clinton is 100% in the tank for TPP as well but is lying about her opposition to it to pander to primary voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections