Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 06:17 PM

100 posts, read 408,156 times

Advertisements

I have just tended to look a blind eye to this, but there is no doubt about it. I am beginning to think that there is more tension between black people and latino people then there is between white people right now. I just feel it...to black people complaining that latino workers are taking all of the manual labor jobs, to latino people following the generalization that black people are lazy and bad people.

As an Obama supporter I would like to see a split in Texas, but in reality I do not think he is going to gain any ground on the Latino vote cause there really is a whole lot of tension, and I as a black man will not look around and say it is not so. It is so ironic, we have come a long way to eradicating racism, and now another minority group, which has now become the largest minority group in the US, probably dislikes us even more then white people. We have so much in common when it comes to discrimination in the past, one has to wonder and say why there is so much tension between us.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:18 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
not much white guilt among latinos?

Old 01-29-2009, 08:36 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,034,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenourtv View Post
I have just tended to look a blind eye to this, but there is no doubt about it. I am beginning to think that there is more tension between black people and latino people then there is between white people right now. I just feel it...to black people complaining that latino workers are taking all of the manual labor jobs, to latino people following the generalization that black people are lazy and bad people.

As an Obama supporter I would like to see a split in Texas, but in reality I do not think he is going to gain any ground on the Latino vote cause there really is a whole lot of tension, and I as a black man will not look around and say it is not so. It is so ironic, we have come a long way to eradicating racism, and now another minority group, which has now become the largest minority group in the US, probably dislikes us even more then white people. We have so much in common when it comes to discrimination in the past, one has to wonder and say why there is so much tension between us.
are they generalizations or based off of facts and stats? blacks do have the highest crime rates and unemployment rates. not to mention, the most broken families.

it's interesting because african americans will complain about white flight but then have a problem with latinos moving into their communities. poetic justice? it is most definently something to keep an eye on.

Also, i think many need to give up on the idea that whites don't like black people. i think it is the other way around and continues to this day. most blacks don't like white people. if the white people are "the man" then why would they have a problem with people who are not "the man?" Meaning many minorities view whites as at the top of the food chain so it doesn't make sense for the group at the top to hate on the groups who supposedly have more struggles. yet, it makes perfect sense for someone to hate on the guy at the top. and the top meaning, whites didn't have to fight for their civil rights unless you include the women into that picture.

for a long time, many blacks only counted as 3/5 of 1 human being (back in the 1700's) so you can see the great lengths that many groups of people have gone through and accomplished. so it would be natural for a group that was once so far down to hate on the group that has long been at the top.

http://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2003/dec/wk5/art01.htm

Last edited by At1WithNature; 01-29-2009 at 08:47 AM..

Old 01-29-2009, 08:53 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:

Obama got 60 plus percent of the Latino vote!

Old 01-29-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Are you sure of what you are talking about? Don't confuse casual observations which may be valid with Obama and election results.
Hispanic vote grows, shifts to Democrats - USATODAY.com
Obama made huge gains nationally, according to surveys of voters leaving the polls. He won 67% of the Hispanic vote — 23 percentage points higher than President Bush's showing in 2004.

The trends were similar in Arizona and Texas, though the two states went for Republican John McCain.

The numbers are the facts and the above is from the link. That being said what you would like to happen is history and has happened.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:00 AM

Is this a valid thread or one trying to start some sort of flame war. It is clearly started based on eroneous information at best. Only the OP can clarify if it was intent or misinformation.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:02 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,034,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Is this a valid thread or one trying to start some sort of flame war. It is clearly started based on eroneous information at best. Only the OP can clarify if it was intent or misinformation.
thre is a LOT of black-latino tension in southern california.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:07 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
same reason you got korean tension but much much worse. you think its bad now wait til they revamp welfare in 12 months. your future conversation -----i wana speak to my welfare worker where is he--- you know the guy that does my case load --that gives me my checks-- the one that accuses me so wrongfully of nothing doing anything every month, i wana scream at him and his supervisor so they will come out and apologize & give me money, you know like we do every month.
what that--- there is no worker ? dial 1 800 customer service karachi???? whats up with that? what do you mean i gota input my application at the library myself, i dont understand.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
thre is a LOT of black-latino tension in southern california.
The issue of tension is one thing and should be addressed in the politics and controversy forum. However to translate that topic into the thought that Obama can't get Hispanic votes when he just got 67% defies logic for placement in the election thread. If the OP wants to talk about Black/Latino tensions for ordinary citizens is one thing but to try to transfer that to support for Obama and the Democrats three months after the election is of what merit? The data is the data. The discussion at the organizational levels for Republicans is how can they get the Hispanic vote back. That is the election forum discussion.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:24 AM

Keeping this within the context of the election forum and the impact of the Latino vote on the Obama candidacy and presidency as noted by the OP.
Latino Vote Fueling Republican Introspection | Immigration | AlterNet
The Pat Buchanans drove Latino evangelicals away with scary rhetoric about immigration during Congress' recent debates on the subject." McKenzie concluded his column by stating, "the GOP can't keep narrowing itself, forcing out minority voters. The party either expands or shrinks into irrelevancy."

The above is from the link. It would appear that while on the street one level of tension might exist, that in election politics per the OP, the rising tension is between Hispanics and the Republican Party. For Obama supporters like the OP that is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections