Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 12:00 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
way to cut jobs Bernie !! raise that minimum wage like you ever owned a business.

why go to college Bernie, I'm making 15 an hour now
You will have a much stronger bargaining position if minimum wage is $15, if you are making $15 an hour now. You will see a big raise in your wages. So tens of millions of workers at the lower end will see an increase in wages, that they havent seen in decades as the income and wealth in this country has been transfered to the 0.1%.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:02 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Picketing for $15 an hour was probably the only real job Bernie ever had.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:06 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
You will have a much stronger bargaining position if minimum wage is $15, if you are making $15 an hour now. You will see a big raise in your wages. So tens of millions of workers at the lower end will see an increase in wages, that they havent seen in decades as the income and wealth in this country has been transfered to the 0.1%.
Think it should be based off average cost of homes. I mean a $15 minimum wage is livable down South, but not much up North or in California.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:32 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Picketing for $15 an hour was probably the only real job Bernie ever had.
Well, Bernie's "fake job" comes with healthcare and a six-figure pension for life-pretty good deal if you ask me, especially seeing how pensions have nearly gone extinct and healthcare gutted in the private sector. He just needed the support of his community for decades-Democrats and Republicans- to keep it.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:55 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,328,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eluveite View Post

Sanders is old, dumb and crazy. If people want to work for less than $15, let them work, it's better than having no job!

Old 05-09-2016, 01:31 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
In 1985 someone would have said....."who is going to hire blah, blah, blah at $7.50 an hour"?

Do you not understand how negotiating (a very capitalistic thing) works?
Ahhh....if the law is set, you can't negotiate. If someone who doesn't speak much English but wants a job goes for a job and they are told they can't be hired, they can't say "I'll work for $12/hour to start off and if you like me, you can give me a raise in a few months" because THE LAW SAYS you can't pay anyone less than $15/hour. If you are not worth $15/hour, you can't get a job.

And this is not a new concept. Bernie is proposing a pre-apartheid South Africa policy that has been proven to hurt minorities:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUBK9_4OQIs

Old 05-09-2016, 01:57 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Sanders is old, dumb and crazy. If people want to work for less than $15, let them work, it's better than having no job!

I agree. I mean, when you get a job, you sell your labor. Like anything else that is sold, it can be negotiated. Someone off the street with no experience is told they can't be hired can't say "I'll start at $8 an hour and if I prove myself, give me a raise." With a $15/hour minimum wage, an employer can't give them that chance and will NOT gamble with that kind of money on someone with no experience.

I have asked this question a million times but I get nothing but ad hominems in reply, but here it is: who is going to hire a convicted felon at $15/hour? Who is going to hire a high school drop out at $15/hour? Nobody. Is is better that they make $0 an hour than make, say, $8 an hour, with the possibility of a raise later on?

And then there is the issue of what happens to those people already making $15/hour or close to it. They, too, will demand more, and those above them will demand more etc. And this isn't an opinion: a firm in Seattle tried making their minimum salary $70,000 a year, and it ended badly: The $70,000 Minimum Wage Experiment Reveals A Dark Truth

The issue is people like Bernie truly do not understand human beings are ambitious by nature. We want MORE. We want more money, more things, and a chance to improve ourselves AS INDIVIDUALS. To Bernie, the individual is the ultimate evil.

If I am making $15/hour after several raises that I EARNED and someone brand new starts making the same amount, I better get a raise or I'm leaving.

And I would put that up another notch: poverty is good. Why? When I see someone as poor as I was growing up, it makes me feel better that I am no longer there. If everyone made as much as I did or more I would feel like the biggest loser on the planet.

Inequality is a natural part of the human condition. Some have more, some have less, some have it all, some have nothing. This is a GOOD THING as long as IT IS ONLY THOSE WHO DESERVE IT WHO ARE ON THE BOTTOM OR THE TOP.

Bill Gates deserves his wealth and that alcoholic, abusive, womanizing man-child who was my father deserves the poverty he is stuck in. Berntards do not understand that some people ARE JUST LAZY AND USELESS AND DESERVE POVERTY.

" Do not make equal what is unequal"-Nietzsche

Old 05-09-2016, 03:21 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Australia has a $15 minimum wage and it is a poorer country than the US.
I'm not sure what measurement you're using to determine that Australia is "poorer" than the US. Australia is the most expensive country in the G20 to live in, and the fourth most expensive in the entire world. And the median income in Australia is $80,704 vs $44,300 for the US.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:26 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Ahhh....if the law is set, you can't negotiate.
So that would be no, you do not understand how wage negotiations work.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:30 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Ahhh....if the law is set, you can't negotiate. If someone who doesn't speak much English but wants a job goes for a job and they are told they can't be hired, they can't say "I'll work for $12/hour to start off and if you like me, you can give me a raise in a few months" because THE LAW SAYS you can't pay anyone less than $15/hour. If you are not worth $15/hour, you can't get a job.

And this is not a new concept. Bernie is proposing a pre-apartheid South Africa policy that has been proven to hurt minorities:
Indeed, let's let people who can barely communicate in English (like Columba Bush, Melania Trump or Rafael Cruz, Sr.) negotiate with prospective employers. It will be a race for the bottom . . . . . Soon those folks would be scrubbing toilets, or giving lap dances, for $1.45 per hour. Now that's American Dream, son.

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections