Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 11:00 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,912,571 times

Advertisements

The GOP is split and done. If nothing else, Trump has helped put an end to this decaying husk of a party, just by his nomination.
The Elite Establishment can't get over it. They won't. They barely did in 1980. But they ain't "getting over it" this time. They are not going to support the nominee, and they loathe the 13 million people who nominated him.
But it's not just that. The Cruz fans who are NOT part of the Establishment.......well they are just too hurt. They ain't coming back. They are sitting it out, voting Hillary, or somebody else. And most of them loathe the GOP now that their Special Guy did not get picked.

So, it's done. Over. Finished. Trump will win only by a miracle (namely, tons of independents and Dems voting for him).
Either way, this is a good thing
RIP, Republican Party. You were useless towards the end.

Last edited by maineguy8888; 05-06-2016 at 12:14 PM..

Old 05-06-2016, 11:08 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,743,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
The GOP is split and done. If nothing else, Trump has helped put an end to this decaying husk of a party, just by his nomination.
The Elite Establishment can't get over it. They won't. They barely did in 1980. But they ain't "getting over it" this time. They are not going to support the nominee, and the loathe the 13 million people who nominated him.
But it's not just that. The Cruz fans who are NOT part of the Establishment.......well they are just too hurt. They ain't coming back. They are sitting it out, voting Hillary, or somebody else. And most of them loathe the GOP now that their Special Guy did not get picked.

So, it's done. Over. Finished. Trump will win only by a miracle (namely, tons of independents and Dems voting for him).
Much like the Whig Party before it then? What do you think will replace the GOP?

I don't think the GOP is done. It's going to have to reinvent itself in a big way. Hey, if the Democratic Party can go from the pro-slavery pro-Jim Crow party to the party of civil rights, then why not?

I do think that Libertarianism is the direction that the GOP ought to head. Enough of all this crap about telling people how to live their lives. Get back to what works: Fiscal conservatism. REAL fiscal conservatism. And less government messing with people's lives. In the last 40 years, the GOP has spent money like idiots! They've advocated for limiting freedoms and liberties as well.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:09 AM

902 posts, read 1,106,804 times
if he chooses John Kasich for VP as predicted, I think the party will unify against their common foe

Old 05-06-2016, 11:14 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,565,921 times
Thumbs up So amusing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
The Elite Establishment can't get over it. They won't. They barely did in 1980. But they ain't "getting over it" this time. They are not going to support the nominee, and the loathe the 13 million people who nominated him.

All the king's horses and all the king's men, etc...

Old 05-06-2016, 11:16 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,532,119 times
A couple of corrections to an otherwise pretty good post.

Cruz supporters will not be voting for Hillary.

Also, they will not support Trump.

They might come back to the Republican party if they thought it was going to respect and promote their values and principles. But truth be told, I think what we learned here from the DC establishment crowd this cycle is that all their campaign lies notwithstanding, that is just really not going to happen.

So while I doubt if this leads to the literal "end" of the Republican party, you would be hard pressed to find very many Cruz supporters who would mourn its passing if it did. I certainly wouldn't.

Whatever continues on out of this mess is going to be a fractured and bloody husk if what this cycle started with. If that can be reconstituted at all, it will not happen quickly or easily.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:20 AM

13,697 posts, read 9,021,495 times
The two parties go through such pains on occasion. Remember the Chicago Riots outside of the Democratic Convention in 1968? Oddly, the Democrats inside the building thought everyone outside should be hunky-dory with escalating the war in Vietnam. Richard Nixon won the Presidency, and it took the Democratic party to repair itself (with the two parties undergoing quite a change for the next decade).

Old 05-06-2016, 11:20 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,088,646 times
Perhaps the post-Trump GOP will dig out and brush off that excellent post-mortem the RNC produced following their 2012 loss and actually read it this time.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:21 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,844,112 times
Yup, the only positive from Donald is outing the RINO's and forcing the Conservative base to face the reality that the GOP is not going to return to the party of Lincoln or Reagan.

Huckabee, McCain, McConnell - take your party and put it where the sun don't shine!

#NeverTrump

Old 05-06-2016, 11:23 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,844,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
A couple of corrections to an otherwise pretty good post.

Cruz supporters will not be voting for Hillary.

Also, they will not support Trump.

They might come back to the Republican party if they thought it was going to respect and promote their values and principles. But truth be told, I think what we learned here from the DC establishment crowd this cycle is that all their campaign lies notwithstanding, that is just really not going to happen.

So while I doubt if this leads to the literal "end" of the Republican party, you would be hard pressed to find very many Cruz supporters who would mourn its passing if it did. I certainly wouldn't.

Whatever continues on out of this mess is going to be a fractured and bloody husk if what this cycle started with. If that can be reconstituted at all, it will not happen quickly or easily.
You speak for more of us then the GOP establishment can imagine. Even Mary Matalin has stated that she has left the GOP for the Libertarian Party!

It's not a phase Donald.

#NeverTrump

Old 05-06-2016, 11:33 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,361,260 times
Default There is no way my party is coming back together

The GOP has been finished for a long time. Time to rethink and rebuild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections