Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 06:38 PM

1,743 posts, read 960,142 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else find it supremely ironic that the support that Sen. Bernie Sanders has managed to attract, the level of enthusiasm and size of his rallies, and the vast sums of small donations he has raised, has come after 8 years of the Democratic administration of President Obama? His message is all about change, the corruption of the system, and the idea that the average American has gotten the short end of the stick. Yet, wasn't that basically Obama's message 8 years ago? Hope and Change? How many of Bernie's fans, the people that flock to his enormous rallies, showed up to Obama's rallies 8 years ago? How did that work out for them?

I really don't see how a Democrat can say with a straight face that the Obama administration has been successful when the most popular Democrat running is actually running against the last 8 (or more) years. What does this say about Obama's legacy? Despite the disarray in the Republican Party due to Trump, Obama basically has presided over the implosion of the Democratic Party. The huge losses suffered by the Democrats in 2010 and 2014 weren't just confined to losing control of Congress. Less publicized was the enormous losses suffered by the Democrats at the state level, in both governors and state legislatures. A whole generation of potential Democratic leaders was wiped out, and despite their almost religious belief in "diversity", the party is largely led by elderly white people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 06:42 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
Does anyone else find it supremely ironic that the support that Sen. Bernie Sanders has managed to attract, the level of enthusiasm and size of his rallies, and the vast sums of small donations he has raised, has come after 8 years of the Democratic administration of President Obama? His message is all about change, the corruption of the system, and the idea that the average American has gotten the short end of the stick. Yet, wasn't that basically Obama's message 8 years ago? Hope and Change? How many of Bernie's fans, the people that flock to his enormous rallies, showed up to Obama's rallies 8 years ago? How did that work out for them?
What type of voter can that not be said about? Part of the reason Sanders has done so well is because Obama did so poorly at doing what he said he would do. People know that Hillary doesn't do what she says. Obama was an unknown. People gave him a chance and he let them down. Hillary is a known and millions have rejected more of the same.

Sanders has done well because his message is the same as his actions and message for years.

Quote:
I really don't see how a Democrat can say with a straight face that the Obama administration has been successful when the most popular Democrat running is actually running against the last 8 (or more) years. What does this say about Obama's legacy? Despite the disarray in the Republican Party due to Trump, Obama basically has presided over the implosion of the Democratic Party. The huge losses suffered by the Democrats in 2010 and 2014 weren't just confined to losing control of Congress. Less publicized was the enormous losses suffered by the Democrats at the state level, in both governors and state legislatures. A whole generation of potential Democratic leaders was wiped out, and despite their almost religious belief in "diversity", the party is largely led by elderly white people.
I'm not a Democrat so perhaps I do not count. Obama has been a total failure on nearly every level.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:46 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,337,802 times
Quote:

In 2010 and 2014, voters rejected Big Government which Sanders represents on steroids. People hoot and holler about the GOP obstruction of Obama. But, what did they obstruct? The GOP obstruction was good b/c it obstructed bad things: amnesty, more open borders, more EPA regulations/cap-and-trade, higher taxes, union-friendly legislation, etc.

You're correct that Obama's policies led to the (D) party faring poorly in 2010 and 2014. To imply that Sanders' policies would have led to better electoral success for the Democrats is, in my opinion, completely wrong.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:49 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,537,988 times
Quote:
How many of Bernie's fans, the people that flock to his enormous rallies, showed up to Obama's rallies 8 years ago?
I dunno, how many 10-12 year old children attend political rallies?

re your post in general: Obama easily won re-election in 2012 and right now has a higher approval rating than most previous Presidents at the same point in their terms.
Whether he's "successful" or not is debatable, depending upon one's definition of success. But your attempt to paint him as massively unpopular is a fail. Especially so when comparing him to someone who won't even win the party nomination.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:51 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,706,694 times
Bernie has been about change for a long time. I look at it like this Obama was the cannon, Bernie is the cannonball, Trump will be the gunpowder, and after Trump that Candiate will be the ignition of Change.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:52 PM

1,743 posts, read 960,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
In 2010 and 2014, voters rejected Big Government which Sanders represents on steroids. People hoot and holler about the GOP obstruction of Obama. But, what did they obstruct? The GOP obstruction was good b/c it obstructed bad things: amnesty, more open borders, more EPA regulations/cap-and-trade, higher taxes, union-friendly legislation, etc.

You're correct that Obama's policies led to the (D) party faring poorly in 2010 and 2014. To imply that Sanders' policies would have led to better electoral success for the Democrats is, in my opinion, completely wrong.
I wasn't implying that Sanders' policies would have led to better electoral success for the Democrats. What I'm saying is that it is amazing that people are basically flocking to the same message from the same party and expecting different results. It's like ordering a dish at a restaurant that makes you sick to your stomach, but next time you go, you order the same dish, just because you like the sound of it.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:03 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
I wasn't implying that Sanders' policies would have led to better electoral success for the Democrats. What I'm saying is that it is amazing that people are basically flocking to the same message from the same party and expecting different results. It's like ordering a dish at a restaurant that makes you sick to your stomach, but next time you go, you order the same dish, just because you like the sound of it.
Did the (R)'s get anything different when they got the House and Senate back in their hands? No. They funded and expanded the IRS, Obama's trade deals. His immigration policies. Obamacare.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:07 PM

1,100 posts, read 634,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Did the (R)'s get anything different when they got the House and Senate back in their hands? No. They funded and expanded the IRS, Obama's trade deals. His immigration policies. Obamacare.
You would think eventually...people would see that there's very little difference in either establishment party these days.

Yet, you still have republican voters...voting for republicans, because they think they'll reverse Roe v. Wade. Ahem, it was decided in 1973. 1973! No republican has had it reversed since...and it's not going to ever be reversed. Sigh...there's plenty of other examples, for both sides...but that was the most recent one that I've encountered.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:13 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,555,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post

Union friendly legislation is exactly what we need. It's is single handedly the most effective bargaining tool for working people and the middle class.

The deck is stacked so hard against workers it's scary.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:15 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,337,802 times
Quote:
I understand now.

I don't see the appeal of Sanders. At the end of the day, his economic policies are government sanctioned theft of other peoples' income for his own social engineering. His most ardent supporters would suffer quite dramatically were his policies implemented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections