Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 11:30 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
No, several of these are unrealistic, period. At least not in a free society. Certainly not ahead of her time, just has different ideas, that doesn't make them better or somehow forward thinking.
We would be more free in that society than we are now.
Everything is not well in this country. It's not going to get better
by expanding unchecked corporate oligarchy, unless you're some
fat cat living in a castle in England who rakes the public on their
utility bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 11:41 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
We would be more free in that society than we are now.
Everything is not well in this country. It's not going to get better
by expanding unchecked corporate oligarchy, unless you're some
fat cat living in a castle in England who rakes the public on their
utility bills.
How is a society free when jobs, health care, and education are "rights" that someone has to pay for most likely through ridiculously high taxes?

How are we more free when its mandated that in 14 years you can no longer use any fossil fuel? How are we more free when the government mandates that if you want to run a business, your hourly rate to employ people will about double over night and you will get no additional productivity gain from it?

Define a "fair share" of the wealth that workers create, how are you going to measure that and now if I start a business I have to giveaway parts of my profits to "be fair" to employees at whatever the government decides is right?

I personally love the "end police brutality" as if we have laws that promote and allow it today. Why not just have a platform that says "don't hurt people" or "be nice" the majority of this so-called platform is just a bunch of wish list items that were created by people who don't understand economics or the impact that these things would have as a whole if actually implemented.

But I get it, I mean some other country 1/100th the size of the US with zero diversity, zero debt, zero defense spending, and zero threats to their homeland or entities abroad have halfassed implementations of these things that they do by taxing their citizens 101% of their income so we need to do it too. Great.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:27 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
You don't build a house from a roof down you build from the foundation up. The Founding Fathers wanted a multi party system. We have the best means to make that possible with Social Media. You have people in your Party you feel would make exceptional Presidents why not the ideology they make exceptional Members of Congress. Minor Parties should allocate their money, tine, and candiates to winning seats every 2 year's instead of focusing on the 4 year prize of Presidency.
Exactly. That is what the Green Party needs to do to become viable.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:47 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
How is a society free when jobs, health care, and education are "rights" that someone has to pay for most likely through ridiculously high taxes?
Because people are not truly free with no job, health care, child care and education. Taxing progressively means these services are provided at a low cost for the middle class and working class, which evens the playing field and improves social mobility. Your agenda is a recipe for plutocracy and one guy eventually owning all of the wealth.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Because people are not truly free with no job, health care, child care and education. Taxing progressively means these services are provided at a low cost for the middle class and working class, which evens the playing field and improves social mobility. Your agenda is a recipe for plutocracy and one guy eventually owning all of the wealth.
So forcing people to give up their own profits and success in order to give away health care, jobs, and education...and now even child care?! is somehow my responsibility? Are you kidding me? Stealing from me to give people this laundry list of goodies is somehow on the back of society?

Old 05-23-2016, 08:52 PM

1,100 posts, read 633,836 times
Quote:
So forcing people to give up their own profits and success in order to give away health care, jobs, and education...and now even child care?! is somehow my responsibility? Are you kidding me? Stealing from me to give people this laundry list of goodies is somehow on the back of society?
This guy gets it.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:

Successful countries make sure that all members of society are given an equal opportunity to succeed in order to harness the full potential of its people. Currently, you are being ripped off, not by society, but by special interests who buy politicians and are given free stuff in terms of no-bid government contracts, corporate welfare, wars for profit, bailouts and much more. Thats where the big trillions you pay go to. Not to investing in human needs in America to lift up the people. The government currently doesnt care about the American people, only the big money special interests and the billionaire class.

You are not living in a vacuum. You are living in a society. The profit someone earns is to a very large extent the consequence of how well the rest of the society is doing. Mass poverty, horrible infrastructure and poorly educated and sick population is bad news for your profits and success.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Successful countries make sure that all members of society are given an equal opportunity to succeed in order to harness the full potential of its people. Currently, you are being ripped off, not by society, but by special interests who buy politicians and are given free stuff in terms of no-bid government contracts, corporate welfare, wars for profit, bailouts and much more. Thats where the big trillions you pay go to. Not to investing in human needs in America to lift up the people. The government currently doesnt care about the American people, only the big money special interests and the billionaire class.

You are not living in a vacuum. You are living in a society. The profit someone earns is to a very large extent the consequence of how well the rest of the society is doing. Mass poverty, horrible infrastructure and poorly educated and sick population is bad news for your profits and success.
Right, which is why we have rules, laws, a bill of rights, a constitution, and all of that good stuff. People are free to either succeed or fail on their own. You make it sound like we don't live in a country where every person has the same legal rights and freedoms, or where we make people die in the streets because we don't have emergency rooms, or where we don't give billions of dollars worth of loans to people to go to school. We can give all this stuff away but we cant force people to use it wisely, nor can we garuntee that giving it all away doesn't create other problems.

I'm all for taking care of those in our society that cant take care of themselves, but we are at a point where it seems like people just want to baby everyone and let the government play mommy and daddy because life is too hard sometimes. Sorry, but my ability to do well and care for myself shouldn't automatically become a meal ticket for someone else because some bleeding hear thinks it sounds all warm and fuzzy to giveaway what I work hard for when I already pay close to 30% in taxes. Somehow giving up 1/3 of my income isnt enough and you want to extract more in taxes from hard working people to reward others? Sorry if I cant get on board with that. I've got my own goals to achieve like making sure I save for my retirement so I don't have to depend on the government and tax payer handouts that people seem to think they are entitled to.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:57 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Exactly. That is what the Green Party needs to do to become viable.
Libertarians and other Minor Parties. I mean Libs and Greens are probably the strongest 3rd Party out there.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Right, which is why we have rules, laws, a bill of rights, a constitution, and all of that good stuff. People are free to either succeed or fail on their own. You make it sound like we don't live in a country where every person has the same legal rights and freedoms, or where we make people die in the streets because we don't have emergency rooms, or where we don't give billions of dollars worth of loans to people to go to school. We can give all this stuff away but we cant force people to use it wisely, nor can we garuntee that giving it all away doesn't create other problems.

I'm all for taking care of those in our society that cant take care of themselves, but we are at a point where it seems like people just want to baby everyone and let the government play mommy and daddy because life is too hard sometimes. Sorry, but my ability to do well and care for myself shouldn't automatically become a meal ticket for someone else because some bleeding hear thinks it sounds all warm and fuzzy to giveaway what I work hard for when I already pay close to 30% in taxes. Somehow giving up 1/3 of my income isnt enough and you want to extract more in taxes from hard working people to reward others? Sorry if I cant get on board with that. I've got my own goals to achieve like making sure I save for my retirement so I don't have to depend on the government and tax payer handouts that people seem to think they are entitled to.
A question to you: Do you think the SSI of $733 per month for disabled people to live on is appropriate for the richest country in the world? Or do you think it should be increased by increasing taxes on people making more than $1 million per year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections