Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 08:41 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
As one who lives in Europe and isn't American, I can tell you why it wasn't covered and why it was covered in our newspapers.

The newspapers and media engage in social engineering - To a great extent, this occurred in Europe as well for quite some time. That changed back in January of this year due to the backlash over Cologne. With the press taking days to report on events and trust in the media plummeting due to their lack of reporting, the media here have started to report everything, even things that aren't necessarily an encouragement to the world they want.

Has it made things worse? We did have the hundreds strong brawl in Paris between immigrants who happened to be criminals and the vigilante gangs that have sprung up. There also have been the vigilante gangs in Sweden, Germany and such doing the same thing.

Is that due to the additional reporting, or is it merely a simmering undercurrent that was already there?

My two cents: Trump is a dangerous demagogue with an inflated ego who carefully crafts an image based on what he needs to win rather than what the US needs to thrive. His foreign policy based around isolationism was interesting and may, in fact, be correct however.

I am uneasy with most of his policies, but the opposition attempts to demonize everything he says is(I think) short-sighted and counterproductive. The key to defeating Trump is not to minimize his supporters' concerns - It's to address them and provide real answers. Ignoring the things that are allowing him to fluorish while trying to hide the elephant in the room is simply absurd.
It WAS covered in the American press. It was all over the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 08:42 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:

My two cents: Trump is a dangerous demagogue with an inflated ego who carefully crafts an image based on what he needs to win rather than what the US needs to thrive. His foreign policy based around isolationism was interesting and may, in fact, be correct however.
Meanwhile the UK is holding a referendum to withdraw from the EU because they can't take anymore of the EU nonsense which Trump is against in the USA. BTW, It's been 166 years since a state tried to withdraw from USA.

This speaks for itself.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:01 AM

424 posts, read 468,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's on every TV station, and it's on every news outlet's website, and it made the front page of many major newspapers. But, Ma-----, it wasn't the TOP story on every newspaper in the country. Why, Ma, Why?

Because, Wicket, my son, newspaper editors have an obligation to their subscribers and their readers to give precedence to the stories their subscribers and readers are interested in.

My local news led with stories about a former city attorney who violated the law, who the city marginalized because of his misdeeds, who then sued the city and won a quarter of a million dollars, and who the court system reviewed, censured, and fined, though he didn't lose his license to practice. Why did they lead with that story? And not the story you are so consumed with? Because they have an obligation to their specific audience, and that audience doesn't include YOU.
Wow, a dishonest lawyer. Now there's a story! You're right, sorry. There were much more earth shattering things to cover than people throwing rocks at the police at a political rally where some people were trying to exercise their right to free speech.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:03 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
"Working man" pays very little Federal INCOME taxes in relation to the entire income tax revenue of the US. It's a common self-misconception.

Mick
This working man just shelled out 15K to the Feds for 2015.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:04 AM

424 posts, read 468,033 times
Quote:
As one who lives in Europe and isn't American, I can tell you why it wasn't covered and why it was covered in our newspapers.

The newspapers and media engage in social engineering - To a great extent, this occurred in Europe as well for quite some time. That changed back in January of this year due to the backlash over Cologne. With the press taking days to report on events and trust in the media plummeting due to their lack of reporting, the media here have started to report everything, even things that aren't necessarily an encouragement to the world they want.

Has it made things worse? We did have the hundreds strong brawl in Paris between immigrants who happened to be criminals and the vigilante gangs that have sprung up. There also have been the vigilante gangs in Sweden, Germany and such doing the same thing.

Is that due to the additional reporting, or is it merely a simmering undercurrent that was already there?

I am uneasy with most of his policies, but the opposition attempts to demonize everything he says is(I think) short-sighted and counterproductive. The key to defeating Trump is not to minimize his supporters' concerns - It's to address them and provide real answers. Ignoring the things that are allowing him to fluorish while trying to hide the elephant in the room is simply absurd.
Just when I was seriously beginning to think that the cumulative IQ points present in this thread were under 100, this intelligent response comes along. Thank you! This is definitely along the lines of what I think is happening. Not just with this story, but throughout the campaign. It isn't working though. It's actually backfiring.

Truth be told, regardless of how much the media tries to play this off as a routine story, it is not, and the American people will pick up on it. Last night's riot did more to help Trump than $10 million in advertising ever could.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:06 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket View Post
Wow, a dishonest lawyer. Now there's a story! You're right, sorry. There were much more earth shattering things to cover than people throwing rocks at the police at a political rally where some people were trying to exercise their right to free speech.
It's not about how earth-shattering the stories are. It's about how relevant the stories are to people's lives. I'm sorry that you don't get that. A protest at a political rally in New Mexico is of interest nationally because the political rally involves a Presidential candidate. And violence has no place in political discourse. Even when the Presidential candidate is egging it on, because insults are his forte. Which is one of the reasons violence at this particular Presidential candidate's rallies has become the norm. And because it's now the norm, it's not as newsworthy as it once was, and it's not particularly relevant to people's lives.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:06 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times
Quote:

We practice isolationism over her in Asheville NC...however it's referred to as "keeping it local".

Old 05-25-2016, 09:14 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,059,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket View Post
Just when I was seriously beginning to think that the cumulative IQ points present in this thread were under 100, this intelligent response comes along. Thank you! This is definitely along the lines of what I think is happening. Not just with this story, but throughout the campaign. It isn't working though. It's actually backfiring.

Truth be told, regardless of how much the media tries to play this off as a routine story, it is not, and the American people will pick up on it. Last night's riot did more to help Trump than $10 million in advertising ever could.
but but how will the people pick up on if the media isn't covering it?

Old 05-25-2016, 09:14 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
I tend to agree with your take, the opposition is lured and playing into this spectacle and making a mockery of themselves.

They only increase the fearmongering that the democrats are this brooding group of haters that resorts to violence to settle differences.

The black lives matter movement imploded when people lost interest when they resort to violent disruptive displays.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:34 AM

5,041 posts, read 7,417,088 times
It was all over the local news here in New Mexico.

Trump provided the hate and bigotry as the fuel -- and then people wonder why it catches fire?

Our Republican governor would not endorse him or show up at his rally, so he took aim at her, even though she is highly popular with state Republicans. Not a smart move. He got booed. And he was continually interrupted by protesters inside the rally. Interesting to see him drive a wedge into the state Republican Party.

Meanwhile Bill Clinton held a rally in a different location that was completely peaceful, no protests at all. This is Clinton country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections